Derby County V Sheffield Wednesday

peachmyster

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

-As soon as Loovens got sent off I thought ‘that’s the game ruined’. Usually the Sheffield Wednesday home games are quite entertaining, not today though. Saying that,  stupid stupid challenge and deserved to go. The game was always going to be frustrating, Wednesday still aren’t a bad side, but we got there in the end.

-Vydra scores again but still doesn’t answer the criticisms you can lay at his door in the no. 10 role for me. Today Bannan came deep to get the ball as that’s where the space was and he looked good because he had time. I don’t think I can remember a time Vydra got close and unfortunately that has to be part of his job. On the flipside though, that first 20 minutes was some of the best I’ve seen of Vydra attacking, can’t fault his work in and around the opposition box and its getting results. Only worry is if we become too reliant on him like we were with Ince.

-Also Huddlestone gets a lot of stick, some of it is deserved, but also it doesn’t help when the attackers are hiding behind players and not wanting the ball.

- Wasn’t Nugents game today, last weekend the game suited him to a tee but that wasn’t the case today. Martin came on and although wasn’t great he at least pushed the play further up the pitch.

-Special mention for booing fans when we didn’t press forward. It was frustrating but come on. Felt a bit more negative/flat today in general which was a shame after last weeks atmosphere as we should be looking to keep that positivity going.

-Finally that walking football team should have two footed their block who had the worst celebration ever. They lost because they didn’t show passion, sack the manager I say.

I hear you on huddlestons lack of fwd options.

But he’s slow, sometimes criminally loses possession, slows the pace down and makes some really bad decisions.

i don’t dislike he guy, I think he has a role somewhere, but I struggle to see what he brings to this current derby team.

i can’t wait for a fit Thorne/Ledley combo in that position:

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

That shot which wouldn't have counted as the Lino had his flag up hence us getting a free kick rather than them getting a corner. 

It was still threatening which is my point. Watching the highlights there were the two Fletcher headers (which I had forgotten about), one of which was very close to going in, and the Bannan shot in the second half which had Carson scrambling. To say they weren't very threatening is a stupid thing to say.

They certainly had a fair number of chances (I'd argue more chances than we had) with only 10 men which is worrying. But still, a win is a win and another clean sheet is even better.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Still looks a pen but not a red for me.

Clear push in the back, very obvious at the game, not in that stuttery video. Definite red.

They should have had one, Russell was fouled for another pen to us and then to book him one minute later, shocking refereeing from start to finish. Don't think his linesmen helped him at any point either.

Thought we were poor all round. No clinicalness in the opposing half. No need for Ledley, Huddlestone, Davies and Keogh to be all so deep, not helped by the fact Lawrence and Russell playing wide stopped our full backs pushing on.

In fact, it was ugly the more I think of it with two huge positives; 1) A win and 2) A clean sheet.

Russell MOTM for basically being the only one who genuinely looked like he was trying. The cross to Vydra who then scuffed his effort was superb.

Won, clean sheet and 3 points, what more can we ask for. The football is rubbish, really rubbish but when we’re winning I can’t moan, on to the next one....Come on you Rams :thumbsup:

Ratings:

Carson-6 - Didn't have to do anything. His throws and roll outs were a lot quicker than usual which was good to see. Hope this isn't a one off.

Wisdom- 5- Thought he was terrible today, I'd be surprised if his forward passing was more than 50 %. I like him because he's a good defender but Baird needs to work with him on his passing.

Keogh-8- Was immense today. He set up most of our attacks today and he was brilliant defensively.

Davies-7- Same as Keogh, he was generally very good but made a near costly error in the second half which nearly let them back into it.

Forsyth-5- Like Wisdom, solid defensively but his passing was diabolical. It got to the point where Ledley deliberately  ignored passing to Forsyth because Forsyth couldn't keep the ball. Needs to get better but it's good to see him being good defensively which is what Rowett emphasises.

Huddlestone-5- What's happened to him? He seems to lack concentration in key points of the game. Needs to up his game because his position is one of our more stacked areas.

Ledley-8- Thought he was brilliant yet again and often carried Huddlestone. Hope we can keep him to at least the end of the season.

Russell-6- We saw the good and the bad of Russell today. If he had Ince's footballing brain, he would have easily got a hattrick. He also slows down our attacks too much. He needs to be instictive rather than thinking too much.

Lawrence-8- He did everything right today, it's only a matter of time till he scores but another impressive showing.

Vydra-6- He scored but didn't do anything else. If he wants to be a number 10 long term then he needs to start understanding the position better and when to drop deep. He loses possession far too much.

Nugent-6- So-so game. It was difficult because he didn't get much support

Subs- Martin-7- He looks more and more impressive, only a matter of time before he starts

Johnson-7- Was very physical to the Wednesday midfield 2 and took his goal well

Thorne- N/A

All in all, a good day but if we want to finish in the top 6, we need to sign a right winger and a proper number 10 who can keep the ball better.

28 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Russell-6- We saw the good and the bad of Russell today. If he had Ince's footballing brain, he would have easily got a hattrick. He also slows down our attacks too much. He needs to be instictive rather than thinking too much.

Lawrence-8- He did everything right today, it's only a matter of time till he scores but another impressive showing.

You have to have gotten these the wrong way around right?

How is missing a 1on1, blasting a freekick into the wall then the rebound into row z and being invisible aside from that doing 'everything right today'?

Russell was the only forward in both halves that actually looked like doing something, which is why he stayed on and Lawrence came off.

Happy with the 3 points. Don't want to spoil it by over analysing the game. Can't remember a team being 1-0 down with 10 men and the keeper seemingly wasting time tho.

thought the referee and linesman bottled it when their keeper handled outside the box. It was like 'Oh no I've sent 1 player off can't send off the keeper, people might  think I'm incompetent ' Then a pretty blatant foul in the box by fozzy(?) and he sh@ himself thinking all the above!!

not usually premature at celebrating but I was jumping around thinking Laurence 's chip was a dead cert. 

Turns out I was happier than GR listening to the interview. I am easily pleased tho!

COYR ?

Should have been out of sight first half, first a golden chance for Lawrence to kill the game (tripped in the process of shooting for what should have been a 2nd penalty) and then Westwood escaped a red following a handball in stopping Keogh's goalbound effort outside the box (after a worldy pass from Big Tom).

Was always going to be nervy at 1-0 and fair play to Sheff Wed for sticking in the game until our late 2nd goal.

Some of the stick Big Tom was getting was ridiculous given the lack of movement in the front four at times today. Of course when the Gorgeous One comes on and chips a ball over the back 4 to nobody but Westwood he receives nothing but applause ?

Just now, Saul Pimpson said:

Should have been out of sight first half, first a golden chance for Lawrence to kill the game (tripped in the process of shooting for what should have been a 2nd penalty) and then Westwood escaped a red following a handball in stopping Keogh's goalbound effort outside the box (after a worldy pass from Big Tom).

Was always going to be nervy at 1-0 and fair play to Sheff Wed for sticking in the game until our late 2nd goal.

Some of the stick Big Tom was getting was ridiculous given the lack of movement in the front four at times today. Of course when the Gorgeous One comes on and chips a ball over the back 4 to nobody but Westwood he receives nothing but applause ?

Yes I reckon the ref bottled the Lawrence penalty. If you watch it back it was at least a foul for a late tackle.

Blistering first 10 mins and after the sending off I though whey hey ! Cricket score coming. Then the soufflé collapsed and we had a soggy pudding of a performance. But 3 points and a clean sheet stopped any indigestion.  Credit to Wednesday who kept trying to play football. Bannan is cracking little player. 

Keogh deserved his MOTM for us. For big chunks of the game he was makeshift playmaker. Still like Vydra for his directness and the penalty was very well earned and taken. Wished he'd tried to head that one at the far post late on. I was a big Huddlestone fan after his first 2 games but where have the pinged forward passes gone ? Was it the wind he he was frightened of ? Whatever, he had a poor game. The other question is why are we scared to go to the bye line ? Cut in by all means, but EVERY time ?? Lawrence drifts in to lots of useful positions but we aren't finding him anything like enough and not moving the ball with pace. 

Very very happy to have the points but feel a bit flatter than I should for some reason. Hey ho .. Onwards and upwards. Top half of the table and a game in hand over most. COYR

15 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

You have to have gotten these the wrong way around right?

How is missing a 1on1, blasting a freekick into the wall then the rebound into row z and being invisible aside from that doing 'everything right today'?

Russell was the only forward in both halves that actually looked like doing something, which is why he stayed on and Lawrence came off.

My ratings are based on everything and their all round play today. Unfortunately I don't take "passion" into account. Russell had a straight forward one on one in the second half but ended up turning and wasting the whole attack. Wisdom was poor today but Russell didn't exactly help him which is why Wisdom kept losing the ball, Russell didn't exactly provide him any options. Russell also in the first half had the opportunity to provide Lawrence a straight forward through ball but ended up hitting it way too long and he had the nerve to blame Lawrence. Lawrence was involved in everything good we did today. Russell was also good but he made far too many simple mistakes. People see what they want to see and Russell gets away with a lot because Derby fans like him. I'm unbiased and look at their whole game, which is why I wasn't afraid to credit Martin but criticise Vydra today.

10 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Yes I reckon the ref bottled the Lawrence penalty. If you watch it back it was at least a foul for a late tackle.

Referees have never given a penalty when a late challenge comes in after a shot. I don't know why they don't and it's annoying. 

Even watching on the highlights I cannot tell if their GK handled the Keogh effort. 

Either way, Fozzy getting away with his push was a complete bottle job by the referee.

52 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If anyone fancies a laugh there is a proper meltdown going on over on the Owls Talk forum. You think it gets negative here? Not a patch on that forum.

I'm not reading negativity, just a few honest appraisals to the effect that its great that we won, but the football leaves still something to be desired.

which was also gary rowetts opinion.

Archived