Derby County V Notts Forest

peachmyster

Just now, brady1993 said:

Not sure I get your point ? Can I not pose any critique whatsoever ? I'm glad we won, enjoyed the game and most of the plays were somewhere between ok and good performances. I just disagree with @Mick Brolly's assertion that everyone played well.

Yeah, sorry about that. There's absolutely no place for humour on a football forum.

I'll take myself to the nearest market square and ritually self-flagellate by way of penance. 

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our style of play gives me the heebie-jeebies some of the time, but very very happy with the result and that in the second half we started to be able to mix defensive stability and discipline with a bit more attacking intent.  Need to work on not sitting back so much and getting midfield and forwards closer together, but all in all a thoroughly satisfying day out. The second half in particular gave me some of those positive  'signs' I've been looking for...

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Not sure I get your point ? Can I not pose any critique whatsoever ? I'm glad we won, enjoyed the game and most of the players were somewhere between ok and good performances. I just disagree with @Mick Brolly's assertion that everyone played well.

I never said everyone played well I said no one had a bad game IMO 

It's lovely that we are unbeaten in four and we won comfortably against Forest but then you look at our upcoming fixtures and one suspects it won't be too long before the question marks loom over Rowett again.

There are bigger and more telling challenges ahead. Away trips to Leeds, Norwich, Fulham and Middlesbrough in the next six weeks and some tricky home games to negotiate too.

Personally, it'll be a while before Rowett dispels any of those doubts but King Matej is showing him how it can be done. Yet again he delivered and only 12 months ago some were writing him off?!?

Fantastic result - let's hope we build on it and show what we are truly capable of!

Great result today and makes the Cardiff result look even better. There’s definitely a platform that Rowett can build on and if some individual performances improve than we can go on a decent run. I don’t fall out with the assessment of Huddlestone not having a good game and thought Ledley had to balance that off with simple effective play and good positioning. Going forward I think it will be straight choice between Thorne and Huddlestone with maybe Rowett rotating them between key games and home/away fixtures. 

You'd Vydra believe it that was a Nuge win :whistle:

Interesting game. Amazing start which helped us immensely in calming nerves. Vydras finish was a real strikers goal, knew where the keeper would go and put it in the other corner. Nice. There weren't many channels for Nuge to run so he looked a bit short of influence in the first half (good tactics by Warburton ) they kept the ball well in the first half so we were reliant on individual moments rather than control. Tendency to drop to deep and faff around at the back. uncharacteristically Huddlestones passing wasn't great and Vydra got caught in possession once or twice but only when he was trying to be positive. This is what I like about him. He turns towards their goal on instinct. Doesn't always come off but he is a forward with an attacking mentality which is crucial.

They didn't take their chances and we were solid at the back. Better in the second half and Vydras forward thinking attitude shut them up permanently after they fluffed a golden opportunity. Another class finish from Nuge. 

JR was up for it big time (can I have some of what he had for breakfast please ? ) deserved MOTM. 

Ledley calm and organised but midfield had an awkward game against their passing, numbers and quick feet. Lawrence has it all but makes bad decisions sometimes and for me is still learning himself and getting to know his team mates. He is going to be an excellent signing but still bedding in to a team framework. Out of position sometimes but with his crossing ability and free kicks is a big addition. Fozzy got seriously "done" by their winger once but is getting fitter and more dangerous with each game. 

Carson. We are very lucky to have a PL goal keeper .. Nuff said ! 

What topped the afternoon for me was the last 10/15 mins ... Excellent subs from GR. No nervous nail biting. On come George and CM all control, guile, influence. Could have had a couple of late ones to ice the cake 

this team is going to improve .. There is a lot of individual skill relative to the league we are in. Look how JR / CM / GT worked at the end ... They know each other, it was easy, another dimension. Watch the others gel as time passes. Very optimistic despite midfield concerns. 

Happy days 

6 minutes ago, Saity said:

Russell deservedly won the motm award today ??????

I also thought Ledley was very good today ...I'm still not over struck on letting the opposition have so much of the ball like the first half but none the less great result and a clean sheet to boot ...well done ??????

I thought Vydra deserved the MOM to be honest. Two pieces of magic unlocked their defence and ultimately got us the 3pts. I'm a fan of JR and he put in a great shift. He absolutely ran himself into the ground and always looked do something positive whilst in possession but I thought Vydra just shaded it. 

What a great day. The most bizzare thing for me was everyone singing Mr Brightside before kick off, it actually sounded really good and got the place going?!?!?? 

Thought Russell was amazing today (I'm not his biggest fan usually) Of course Vydra and Nugent played well as pretty much most weeks. The one who really stood out for me was Ledley, I was really impressed with him, kept things simple and broke up play.

Thought we sat to deep after the 1st goal and were lucky at times, but who gives a xxxx now. Beat the red dogs and a clean sheet!!! Happy happy days :thumbsup:

Carson: 8 - Solid and a couple of crucial saves

Forsyth 6-7: Ok and developing OK relationship with Lawrence. But not as marauding as pre-injury

Keogh: 7 - Mostly solid but a couple of loose passes under pressure

Davies: 7 - Good positioning and kept things tidy

Wisdom: 8 - Strong as usual defensively but made some very good runs forward

Huddlestone: 6 - OK, tidy, but few incisive passes

Ledley: 8 - Energy in midfield and good crossing and passing

Russell: 7 - Worked very hard as usual. Skied a ball over the bar as usual

Vydra: 8 - Goal and assist and always willing

Lawrence: 9 - grew into the game.  I felt a buzz everytime he had the ball. Great crossing and free kicks. Have a feeling if he gets a couple of goals he'll go on a run

Nugent: 7 - worked hard and took goal very well

Subs

Martin: 7: did ok

Thorne 7 did ok

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

First half we weren't great after the first minute - ball retention seemed to be a particular issue but quality up to Vydra & Nugent wasn't brilliant either. Did think there was a strong possibility of Rowett putting Martin on at half time like he had done at Cardiff.

Second half looked a lot better although going 2-0 up so early was a clear factor. We finally gained control of midfield in the final 30 mins but this was after Warburton hauled off McKay & Dowell - a strange decision I thought as they'd been integral to their performance to that point. Ward & Clough as their replacements didn't contribute a great deal.

Overall, thought the back 4 were very solid (particularly Davies & Keogh) and thought Russell & Lawrence were very lively. Once Lawrence gets going, he'll be a very decent replacement for Ince - real quality at set pieces & unpredictability. My main concern is midfield & keeping the ball a bit better - Thorne's re-emergence couldn't have come at a better time.

Forest looked a decent side to be fair & that McKay looks a real player. Only cost £500k - just goes to show quality isn't the sole preserve of players costing £5m plus.

Completely agree. Whilst we were 2-0 up at this point, this was a game changer in terms of general play. Bossed it the last 30 minutes.

4 minutes ago, feisty said:

Carson: 8 - Solid and a couple of crucial saves

Forsyth 6-7: Ok and developing OK relationship with Lawrence. But not as marauding as pre-injury

Keogh: 7 - Mostly solid but a couple of loose passes under pressure

Davies: 7 - Good positioning and kept things tidy

Wisdom: 8 - Strong as usual defensively but made some very good runs forward

Huddlestone: 6 - OK, tidy, but few incisive passes

Ledley: 8 - Energy in midfield and good crossing and passing

Russell: 7 - Worked very hard as usual. Skied a ball over the bar as usual

Vydra: 8 - Goal and assist and always willing

Lawrence: 9 - grew into the game.  I felt a buzz everytime he had the ball. Great crossing and free kicks. Have a feeling if he get sa couple of goals he'll go on a run

Nugent: 7 - worked hard and took goal very well

Subs

Martin: 7: did ok

Thorne 7 did ok

How do you give Lawrence a 9 and Russell a 7?

ratings reversed surely

Thought were were really poor in the first half - couldn't keep the ball, allowed them way too much possession, not a lot of shape and we were fortunate to go in one up.

Much better second half, controlled the game better, created more, Lawrence and Huddlestone came into it more and once the second goal went in we didn't look in any real trouble. Forest seemed to give up the ghost in the last 10. 

Overall, a decent enough performance but more importantly, a good morale boosting win against a Forest team that play nice enough football but have zero end product.

2 minutes ago, feisty said:

Just how I saw it @Simsy

I think Russell worked himself into ground as usual. But never really threatened. 

Lawrence - for me - showed some real class touches and I thought was the more dangerous player.

All about opinions right!?

Yeah of course if that’s what you think. I just think you may have been influenced by the Russell scapegoat perception and the ‘Lawrence is the new ince’ signing.

for example you mention he blazed one over the bar but so did Lawrence and you didn’t mention that.

i personally felt Russell had everything but a goal today and deserved his motm. 

But yeah opinions are opinions. Facts are facts! Rams 2 0 red dogs!

Just now, Alpha said:

Don't know what people see in Lawrence. Russell is better

For me it's that his crossing and set pieces are good and threaten. And his running unsettles opposition defenders and pulls them out of position.  He can really strike a ball at goal too. That free kick was superb

Archived