Derby County V Notts Forest

peachmyster

14 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Forsyth had a great game defensively.

Yeah but his distribution put us in all sorts of problems. That’s the trouble we have at left back, Forsyth is a good defender but can’t pass, Olsson is a decent passer of the ball who can’t defend. Lowe is the best of both worlds, hope he’s back soon.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Simsy said:

Yeah of course if that’s what you think. I just think you may have been influenced by the Russell scapegoat perception and the ‘Lawrence is the new ince’ signing.

for example you mention he blazed one over the bar but so did Lawrence and you didn’t mention that.

i personally felt Russell had everything but a goal today and deserved his motm. 

But yeah opinions are opinions. Facts are facts! Rams 2 0 red dogs!

I've not been a fan of Russell for 3 years to be honest so you may be right that I maybe allow views of past performances to affect the lens through which I view him.  That's a fair challenge.  I acknowledge he works extremely hard and I really appreciate that. I think Russell's final ball is very often lacking is my issue so when I see one skied I think "more of the same". Lawrence's final ball is very often good from what I've seen and so when I see the odd one sail over I feel it's more an exception than the rule I guess. I'd be delighted if Russell scored a hattrick in the next game of course and would be extremely happy 

1 minute ago, feisty said:

For me it's that his crossing and set pieces are good and threaten. And his running unsettles opposition defenders and pulls them out of position.  He can really strike a ball at goal too. That free kick was superb

I give you his crossing and set pieces.

I find his dribbling a case of defenders ushering him where they want him. 

I thought the free kick was ok but if Carson let that in I'd be fuming. 

Russell has more intelligence and gets into areas defenders are trying to defend much more often. 

Lawrence spends too much time dancing that the opportunity passes him by. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Don't know what people see in Lawrence. Russell is better

How does he look dangerous when he runs into trouble and passes the ball too late every time?

Think Lawrence has huge potential but needs coaching. Was the poorest of our attackers today, needs to learn when to pass the ball and when to try tricks or he ends up conceding possession all the time. We’ve seen what he’s capable of against wolves, two excellent assists there- thought he was going to be a world beater based on that performance. The strike against wales leaves me still hopeful, he’s not technically deficient, it’s all mental for him- perhaps he’s trying to hard to get off the goal mark?

Russell was excellent today, worked his arse off and linked play with purpose- but he’s had many games like Lawrence had today in the past and many worse, and has rightly had similar criticisms aimed at him. Decision making does seem a recurring theme as an issue with our widemen, but that’s to be expected at championship level. We shouldn’t have sold Ince, but I don’t see many other replacements around that have greater potential than Lawrence if used correctly.

On another note i still can’t believe that vydra has been dropped for the last few games. Been our best player this season without a doubt imo and was brilliant again today. The intelligence in his running and timing of the ball is brilliant, he provides spark and flair that most of our other players don’t. Best second striker in the league for me, well at least I thought so until Thorne came on there:ph34r:

I dunno. I'm just not a fan but I don't think you'd have to look far for a better player. I think Russell is better and I thought McKay looked better today. 

I saw him for Ipswich and Blackburn and although Sky loved all his dancing I just thought "yeah, what's he done though" 

Maybe it just because he's replacing Ince and I see how much abuse Russell gets for doing pretty much as much the same as Lawrence has done. 

Defensively it's a no contest. People thought Ince wasn't great defensively. Lawrence is invisible

7 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

I hope the forum is this quiet when I get home from the game. That will mean we've won!

Hellooooo ? ... Is there anybody there ? ... Coooeee ? 

Gawd it's quiet in here :D

that can only mean one thing, your wish came true ! 

RE Mr Brightside. It's bad enough it gets played in a graveyard slot at cheesy night clubs, even worse that it was played moments before a game in what was supposed to be an intimidating atmosphere.

Found it totally embarrassing. Sky cameras out and pundits talking about how big the game is and it's

"He lifts up her dress now"

ifjsjfjajfkqjfjwbdviogfjabcjaknsjnfbrbwhdhd

Briefly  on the forum to say well done to the lads. Great start. Sat back too much but only one decent chance for them and we have one of the top keepers in the country who did his job well. 

After the second I felt it could easily have been lots as we dominated from them on. Love Lawrence and it's great he shoots a lot, but I wish he'd played it sideways when Chrissy Martin had an open goal to begin his season's account. 

But mustn't be greedy. Great with and let's kick onwards and upwards! 

Just now, Topram said:

Good win, pretty poor but they were awful, Russell was great defensively poor going forward but that doesn't matter when we have other good players, Lawrence or ledley MOTM

You say Russell was poor going forward but applaud Lawrence who's final ball was dreadful mostly today.

Russell was the much better overall player of the two hence him getting MOTM.

2 minutes ago, Topram said:

Good win, pretty poor but they were awful, Russell was great defensively poor going forward but that doesn't matter when we have other good players, Lawrence or ledley MOTM

See, Russell got scythed down on breaks. He drove on from our territory into Forest territory multiple times which meant we actually showed them we could attack. Countless times he brought composure to our play.

Lawrence did a good cross, a free kick that should be saved. The rest was pure greed.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

You say Russell was poor going forward but applaud Lawrence who's final ball was dreadful mostly today.

Russell was the much better overall player of the two hence him getting MOTM.

Watching a different game?? Lawrence was class his crossing is tops! And even without that ledley was the best player on the pitch, did the dirty work which goes unseen 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

See, Russell got scythed down on breaks. He drove on from our territory into Forest territory multiple times which meant we actually showed them we could attack. Countless times he brought composure to our play.

Lawrence did a good cross, a free kick that should be saved. The rest was pure greed.

Not sure what you have against Lawrence, I’d suggest watching the game again and taking them rose tinted glasses off this time....

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

Watching a different game?? Lawrence was class his crossing is tops! And even without that ledley was the best player on the pitch, did the dirty work which goes unseen 

Why did Russell get MOTM then?

A few thoughts from the Gumps forum:

• Backed off Vydra again ffs 
  • It had to be that f***** didn't it? 
  • Better team, can't score, can't defend 
  • We're f***** now 
  • And the TV goes off
  • F*** off Mancienne why run and play him onside when you're not even near enough to tackle. Losing to a sh1te hoofball team   
  • Really hate him. Bin dippers and now the sheep
  • Zach Clough's head appears to be badly photoshopped onto someone else's body 
  • Why does David Nugent keep grinning like a bad guy from the WWE?
  • Somebody scythe down that mascot
  • We're all so small and nice, with big Murphy up front we look like a rendition of Gulliver's Travels
  • Did we win on the passing stats?
  • POST: Billy Davies knows how to beat Derby RESPONSE: We lost 5-0 bro
  • Nigel Pearson is the man we want someone with some b******* and put the pride back into NFFC
  • That was an all fur coat no knickers performance

33 minutes ago, feisty said:

I've not been a fan of Russell for 3 years to be honest so you may be right that I maybe allow views of past performances to affect the lens through which I view him. 

Maybe the same applies to me as I seem to be about the only person who found him really frustrating again today. Yes, he ran around a lot, but still either ended up giving the ball away within twenty seconds of getting into their half, or running it out of play. I get a sinking feeling every time he gets the ball because you just know what's going to happen. 

Archived