View from the outside

Derbados

We should look more at the second half if we are judging the football Rowett wants. Second half one of the front three dropped into the gaping hole just in front of the two defensive midfielders that was unfilled through the first half. Gave us much more control and allowed better link up play. Very pleased we have changed from a sideways passing team to one that really tries to be forward thinking. Also and best of all.........How brilliant was it that we weren't hanging on at the end? Just like the Cardiff game we were playing in the oppositions half. In the last 20 mins Forest had run out of ideas. UTR

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, David said:

Damn that man for pulling positives out of the season ?

Seriously though, didn't hear it, or chose not to listen. Not getting beaten is no bad thing, problem with Clough was we were still getting beaten.

Rowett hasn't got the same size cojones as Paul Simpson, and I say him not McClaren as he was the driving the force behind let's just go at them. That's not to remove all credit from McClaren, but on his return we saw a more cautious Derby.

As you say, don't think we're seeing a Rowett team yet, confirmed himself as much yesterday, which is why he must be given time and see what happens. January window not that far away now, right the wrongs from the summer.

Positives are for Man Utd fans - We're from hardier stock - We've suffered though long periods of hard times and the thick skin is mostly made of protective negativity - Had a period of positive thinking in 2014 and it hurt too much :)

I think we do need a manager who's a bit braver - Or rather I would like to see this manager be a bit braver - Like playing a number 10 even when we're away from home - Rather than sticking Johnson in there

Think the McClaren/Simpson combo was the perfect mix though - I remember back in the day people saying the same about Smith/McClaren - Smith was the all-out-go-for-it type attitude and McClaren reigned him in a bit - I worry about it when a manager brings in all people he's worked with before as they'll all have the exact same mindset - Need to have someone in there to shake up the ideas a bit - Not sure Phillips has a high enough profile to do that at the club?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We were lucky that they spurned their chances. They sliced through us. We looked like we were playing as the away team, and as such it was a good away win for us against the Dogs! :lol: The Sky commo said something about their teams average age being 23, don't think he mentioned ours. I guess they're hoping they'll gain experience. I'm with @Bris Vegas on which average (mid-table) side's style I'd rather watch!

It's easy to say we were lucky, why wasn't it a great save? No luck in being a good keeper and that is what Carson is. Or even a poor finish (which it was). Were Forest lucky that Vydra's goal bound effort was kept out by a brilliant defensive block? Or lucky when Lawrence picked out the top corner and the keeper saved well? The coffee cup goal was down to luck, the fact they were duff in front of goal yesterday wasn't luck, they just weren't good enough. 

When did they slice through us? The only time they got in behind was from a long ball over the top! They moved the ball very well in the first half, much better than we did and yet they still didn't seriously threaten the goal. 

I think we'd all rather watch flowing football but it's not always the case. How many teams out of the 92 in the football league play this way? For me I'd like us to be somewhere in between their style and ours. I think it's achievable too over time. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

It's easy to say we were lucky, why wasn't it a great save? No luck in being a good keeper and that is what Carson is. Or even a poor finish (which it was). Were Forest lucky that Vydra's goal bound effort was kept out by a brilliant defensive block? Or lucky when Lawrence picked out the top corner and the keeper saved well? The coffee cup goal was down to luck, the fact they were duff in front of goal yesterday wasn't luck, they just weren't good enough. 

When did they slice through us? The only time they got in behind was from a long ball over the top! They moved the ball very well in the first half, much better than we did and yet they still didn't seriously threaten the goal. 

I think we'd all rather watch flowing football but it's not always the case. How many teams out of the 92 in the football league play this way? For me I'd like us to be somewhere in between their style and ours. I think it's achievable too over time. 

Well said Mr Tibbs. The trouble with some is they are never happy. If we were playing free flowing football and pleasnt on the eye but losing then they would moan. Play sturdy not so pleasing on the eye and be in the mix at the end and they would still moan. 

Yes I agree if we can get the balance right and keep winning then great. Trouble is other teams no just how to shut up shop so we just need that alternate plan B. 

All will be good people, keep the faith.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The trouble with some fans is they think they have a divine right to tell people they should enjoy crap football.

Would be really easy to flip your post round and say the trouble is some fans think they have a divine right to tell the owner to sack a manger because they are not being entertained. 

Not seen anyone sit you down and say Roy, you must enjoy this crap football. In fact I didn't even see your name mentioned. 

I've seen many disagree with you on certain points, have a discussion on your opinions, agree to disagree and move on. Pretty much how every internet discussion goes down. 

We all have our own opinions, each believing we are right. 

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The trouble with some fans is they think they have a divine right to tell people they should enjoy crap football.

Football is all about results , and that CRAP football yesterday got us 3 pts against our biggest rivals , nobody forces you to go and watch  RoyMac , wind your neck in a bit

29 minutes ago, David said:

Would be really easy to flip your post round and say the trouble is some fans think they have a divine right to tell the owner to sack a manger because they are not being entertained. 

Not seen anyone sit you down and say Roy, you must enjoy this crap football. In fact I didn't even see your name mentioned. 

I've seen many disagree with you on certain points, have a discussion on your opinions, agree to disagree and move on. Pretty much how every internet discussion goes down. 

We all have our own opinions, each believing we are right. 

Did I say it was aimed at me?

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I actually meant two clubs before us. Is that enough to have a defined style?

if he’s always been known to be a hoof ball merchant, if that’s his style, why was he in such high demand?

All I have ever heard from commentators/pundits is how he had taken Birmingham to 7th on a shoestring budget. Then how ludicrous it was for them to have sacked him. Never a mention about style of play - whether easy on the eye or not, so I am not sure whether he has a discernible style or not.

On a different point - I couldn't see the game yesterday, but have appreciated the highlights @curtains just put up:thumbsup: I've seen a number of posts questioning whether players looked tired. Just wondered what views were of our apparent fitness levels this season. I recall "more athleticism" being an early Gary Rowett diagnosis from last season. Of course he has since bought in Huddlestone plus Ledley but has also had a pre season with the squad to work on fitness and power so wondered if there were discernible changes?

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't enjoy the style of football we're playing at present. I'm enjoying us winning of course, but the two things are separate for me.

:D

Have a pint, can always find the answers at the bottom of the glass. May I recommend.....

22406152_973264522812951_5343767012091279378_n.jpg

41 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

All I have ever heard from commentators/pundits is how he had taken Birmingham to 7th on a shoestring budget. Then how ludicrous it was for them to have sacked him. Never a mention about style of play - whether easy on the eye or not, so I am not sure whether he has a discernible style or not.

On a different point - I couldn't see the game yesterday, but have appreciated the highlights @curtains just put up:thumbsup: I've seen a number of posts questioning whether players looked tired. Just wondered what views were of our apparent fitness levels this season. I recall "more athleticism" being an early Gary Rowett diagnosis from last season. Of course he has since bought in Huddlestone plus Ledley but has also had a pre season with the squad to work on fitness and power so wondered if there were discernible changes?

I thought forest looked more unfit then us, and we had a returning Thorne, Ledley and Forsyth (all returning from lay offs) on the pitch!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't say I'm surprised to see you being the Moan Overlord after beating our biggest rivals 2-0 at home, Roy.

Out of interest, has there been a time during your following of Derby County, that you have been (on the whole) happy? Because I've followed your posts under a number of different managers now, and under a number of different styles of play and differing results, and your outlook seems almost constantly negative. 

Archived