View from the outside

Derbados

25 minutes ago, sage said:

Similar view. Lawrence was poor 1st half. Thought Wisdom wasn't as bad. 

They pushed Osborn and Dowell onto Ledley and Tom in a 4141 leaving Bridcutt 1 on 1 with Vydra. High stakes stuff. They missed chances, we didn't.

Certainly can't play that team away or against the better teams. Nice to win though.   

Thought they went to bits after the 58th minute subs. 

Very insightful analysis Sir, IMHO.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where don’t d this thing about a ‘rowett type team playing rowett type football’ come from anyway. 

He’s only been a manager for a couple of seasons, at just two clubs. He’s hardly had a career like pulís, or mourinho, or any of the others to be able to definitively say ‘this is his style.’

He came to us in high demand. Forest were among the ones who would’ve liked to have had him. 

31 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Where don’t d this thing about a ‘rowett type team playing rowett type football’ come from anyway. 

He’s only been a manager for a couple of seasons, at just two clubs. He’s hardly had a career like pulís, or mourinho, or any of the others to be able to definitively say ‘this is his style.’

He came to us in high demand. Forest were among the ones who would’ve liked to have had him. 

Rowett has been a manager since 2012 and we are his 3rd club. Facts are often inconvenient.

Nonetheless the game gave us what we all wanted - 3 pts and defeating the Red Dogs again. As Ramage said later we now need to go on and do the same to Wednesday and Leeds

4 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think they'll feel aggrieved having watched their team fold easier than paper. Our performance wasn't anything special but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Forest deserved anything from that game. Lame at both ends.

At the end of the season there will probably only be a handful of points between the teams as they sit in midtable.

The question is, would you rather be a midtable team playing like Forest or a midtable team playing like Derby?

I'd rather play like Forest if we're going to have similar outcomes come next May. Far more entertaining.

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Rowett has been a manager since 2012 and we are his 3rd club. Facts are often inconvenient.

Nonetheless the game gave us what we all wanted - 3 pts and defeating the Red Dogs again. As Ramage said later we now need to go on and do the same to Wednesday and Leeds

I actually meant two clubs before us. Is that enough to have a defined style?

if he’s always been known to be a hoof ball merchant, if that’s his style, why was he in such high demand?

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

At the end of the season there will probably only be a handful of points between the teams as they sit in midtable.

The question is, would you rather be a midtable team playing like Forest or a midtable team playing like Derby?

I'd rather play like Forest if we're going to have similar outcomes come next May. Far more entertaining.

Ideally you’d like to play nice football with a bit of substance, what I wouldn’t want to watch is some nice possession based football with absolutely no backbone which is what I saw from them yesterday. We’ve been there before.

They got no where playing the football they did, I think it’s quite ironic that their one and only clear cut chance came from a long ball over the top. 

Weve played similar over the last few years, centre back to centre back, to the DM, back to the centre back. That’s fine but you’ve got to have some cutting edge too. We played how most teams have played against us in the last few years and it was very successful.

Thats not to say I’m overly happy with our style of play, we can be much better than that. Vydra found space twice with the ball at his feet and look at the outcome, we need to get him on the ball more often.  I can get onboard with the second half performance, I’d just like us to keep the ball a bit better. The players are there to do that so I’d be disappointed if GR can’t improve us in that aspect.

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Rowett was asked afterwards if this is a Rowett team, said himself that he didn’t want to stand there and say it isn’t as it is, but it was clear the players have only shown in flashes what is expected of them and more is too come.

This is why any manager needs time.

After the yes but look at Leeds start they are in a bit of a free fall now, lost 4 of their last 6, Derby have lost 3 all season.

Win that game in hand which is possible, one point behind the yes but look at Leeds.

29 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Ideally you’d like to play nice football with a bit of substance, what I wouldn’t want to watch is some nice possession based football with absolutely no backbone which is what I saw from them yesterday. We’ve been there before.

They got no where playing the football they did, I think it’s quite ironic that their one and only clear cut chance came from a long ball over the top. 

Weve played similar over the last few years, centre back to centre back, to the DM, back to the centre back. That’s fine but you’ve got to have some cutting edge too. We played how most teams have played against us in the last few years and it was very successful.

Thats not to say I’m overly happy with our style of play, we can be much better than that. Vydra found space twice with the ball at his feet and look at the outcome, we need to get him on the ball more often.  I can get onboard with the second half performance, I’d just like us to keep the ball a bit better. The players are there to do that so I’d be disappointed if GR can’t improve us in that aspect.

Good post our football was dire in the first half better in the second .Both our goals were quality something Forest haven't got in abundance .If you watch the second goal back it is  a thing of beauty .

I think we have a good defence and are spoilt  for choice up front ,if we can address midfield in Jan happy days although personally I think it will be too late for this season.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

I actually meant two clubs before us. Is that enough to have a defined style?

if he’s always been known to be a hoof ball merchant, if that’s his style, why was he in such high demand?

....because at lower league level, and at a shambolic brum, it was assumed that it was just good organisation and needs must.

Derby need to be better than that.

but we also need to eradicate the 3-0 home defeats in the play offs e.g. to reading and hull.

10 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I don't think they'll feel aggrieved having watched their team fold easier than paper. Our performance wasn't anything special but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Forest deserved anything from that game. Lame at both ends.

We were lucky that they spurned their chances. They sliced through us. We looked like we were playing as the away team, and as such it was a good away win for us against the Dogs! :lol: The Sky commo said something about their teams average age being 23, don't think he mentioned ours. I guess they're hoping they'll gain experience. I'm with @Bris Vegas on which average (mid-table) side's style I'd rather watch!

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not too dissimilar to Clement’s Derby which didn’t go down well with a lot of our fans?

15 hours ago, sage said:

My Notts County mate thought they were better team for 60 minutes, then us for the last 30. He thought that Lawrence and Wisdom were very poor first half and improved in the second. He thinks our CBs and GK were the difference between the 2 teams and our lack of pace at CM is an accident waiting to happen.

He also thought the ref gave a few bad decisions in their favour first half.

He is also very happy. 

12 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Your Notts County mate watched the same game as me. 

Sorry but I thought that Derby was the better team in the 1st minute, after that maybe LOL

1 hour ago, David said:

After the yes but look at Leeds start they are in a bit of a free fall now, lost 4 of their last 6, Derby have lost 3 all season.

A good run of wins will take anyone in this league in to contention - It's going to be one of those super tight seasons

However - I worry about a manager who talks about how few games we've lost - That was Nigel Clough's attitude, it was Clement's attitude, it was Pearson's attitude - I don't understand a manager who takes pride in not losing - People with a winning attitude want to win - Mourinho isn't exactly know for an all-put-attack exciting style of play but he looks annoyed as hell when he draws - And for me this mythical 'Derby way' is an attitude about winning - Not just settling for not losing

17 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Not too dissimilar to Clement’s Derby which didn’t go down well with a lot of our fans?

I have said this a few times - Except Clement was all possession with little pay off - Very few attempts on goal as our build up play was so laborious - Rowett seems to have the opposite thought - Don't have much of the ball and play it quickly - Still seems to be the same in terms of excitement levels though

Anyone starting to wonder why Rowett signed Huddlestone BTW? A guy who looks most comfortable in a possession based side with time on the ball - And we're playing him at the heart of a midfield with no time on the ball and an expectation to move it quickly under presssure

Oh - Good win though

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

However - I worry about a manager who talks about how few games we've lost - That was Nigel Clough's attitude, it was Clement's attitude, it was Pearson's attitude - I don't understand a manager who takes pride in not losing - People with a winning attitude want to win - Mourinho isn't exactly know for an all-put-attack exciting style of play but he looks annoyed as hell when he draws - And for me this mythical 'Derby way' is an attitude about winning - Not just settling for not losing

Has Rowett talked about how few games we lost? I'll be honest, pretty much only listen to pre and post match stuff, can't say I've heard anything.

Mourinho also managed to (from the outside) lose an entire dressing room, I've seen Rowett talk of frustrating times of the game yesterday, not fully getting what he wants out the players without looking like a sulky teenager. Different styles of management I guess, always think theres 2 sides to managers, one for the media and one behind closed doors.

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

A good run of wins will take anyone in this league in to contention - It's going to be one of those super tight seasons

I have said this a few times - Except Clement was all possession with little pay off - Very few attempts on goal as our build up play was so laborious - Rowett seems to have the opposite thought - Don't have much of the ball and play it quickly - Still seems to be the same in terms of excitement levels though

Anyone starting to wonder why Rowett signed Huddlestone BTW? A guy who looks most comfortable in a possession based side with time on the ball - And we're playing him at the heart of a midfield with no time on the ball and an expectation to move it quickly under presssure

Oh - Good win though

Jose parked the bus Saturday so why would he be annoyed! 

24 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Oh - Good win though

I agree with you about Huddlestone, he doesn’t look comfortable in this side imo and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Thorne replace him in a couple of games time.

34 minutes ago, David said:

Has Rowett talked about how few games we lost? I'll be honest, pretty much only listen to pre and post match stuff, can't say I've heard anything.

Mourinho also managed to (from the outside) lose an entire dressing room, I've seen Rowett talk of frustrating times of the game yesterday, not fully getting what he wants out the players without looking like a sulky teenager. Different styles of management I guess, always think theres 2 sides to managers, one for the media and one behind closed doors.

Yeh - He was making a big deal about having not lost in 4 games and only losing 3 in 11 all season - Over that 4 games for me 1 was terribly disappointing (B'ham), one was dire (Brentford) and two were decent results (even if not exciting football)

I don't think we're fully up to speed as a Rowett team - Have my fingers crossed that we're going to improve - But I still worry he's the kind of manager who doesn't want to take chances

31 minutes ago, curtains said:

Jose parked the bus Saturday so why would he be annoyed! 

I hadn't read the reviews from Utd's game before I wrote this - So I retract my point about Mourinho!

I think the overall point still stands though - I want a manager who talks about winning games rather than not losing

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh - He was making a big deal about having not lost in 4 games and only losing 3 in 11 all season - Over that 4 games for me 1 was terribly disappointing (B'ham), one was dire (Brentford) and two were decent results (even if not exciting football)

I don't think we're fully up to speed as a Rowett team - Have my fingers crossed that we're going to improve - But I still worry he's the kind of manager who doesn't want to take chances

Damn that man for pulling positives out of the season ?

Seriously though, didn't hear it, or chose not to listen. Not getting beaten is no bad thing, problem with Clough was we were still getting beaten.

Rowett hasn't got the same size cojones as Paul Simpson, and I say him not McClaren as he was the driving the force behind let's just go at them. That's not to remove all credit from McClaren, but on his return we saw a more cautious Derby.

As you say, don't think we're seeing a Rowett team yet, confirmed himself as much yesterday, which is why he must be given time and see what happens. January window not that far away now, right the wrongs from the summer.

Archived