Confess your unpopular Rams opinions

DarkFruitsRam7

Why do people assume we should be successful?

we finished last season with a team that took 27 points from the last 22 games in 2018. Over a full season thats 56 points and 16th place. ( the same number of points we have now with a fifth of the season still to play)

And then we sold our 21 goal star player.

we had to rebuild an ageing team and that takes time. 

we are in year 1. 

We seem to be getting so desperate to achieve a promotion that we are behaving like a gambler chasing his losses, and losing all sense of perspective.

we gambled by signing loads of players, and re-spinning the wheel every 12 months with a new manager. We racked up some hefty losses, and now we are demanding our money back?

Doesn't really work like that does it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I get that and I understand why some fans are unsettled. I'm not 'wowed' either but I've seen enough in some of our performances to think he's worth another window. Without being in any way contrary, who would you look at to replace him. Jok is the only one I can think of off the top of my head whose style of football is similar to what Frank seems to be aiming for.

Jok would be my choice but Warburton was my favourite before we took on lamps....I think he would have suited us.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How would him and Mel get on? Dunno, I get disillusioned with our owner's choices, it started with him sacking Mac I suppose...

Not going to rehash the Mac sacking thing but I wouldn't say we disagree on that score. There's no doubt mistakes have been made so I guess it's all about weighing up the pros and cons. Even that is a very subjective process, I concede.

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

Im sure giving a manger time back in the day was about 3 seasons 

now it’s 3 transfer windows ....

utterly madness and we wonder why we don’t get anywhere lol 

Did we get anywhere then either? Lol.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Jok would be my choice but Warburton was my favourite before we took on lamps....I think he would have suited us.

Yeah, I was quite keen. Think it was around the time we went to Rangers. He's struggled though recently so my ardour has cooled somewhat.

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

The Mel thread is funny

Think it's kind of sad really. Recent reports seem to suggest that the glaring errors made might not be the only ones under the current regime which would upset me as I've been pretty staunch where Mel's concerned. I'm not buying them just yet though but given my elation at the start of the season, I'm getting increasingly worried as time goes on. Perhaps with Mount back and others showing better form we can still end the season on a positive note. I genuinely believe we can FWIW. Think we need to as it's been a long while since the Rams faithful had much to be upbeat about, this season's cup games notwithstanding.

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Tbf that wasn’t really my opinion that was the opinion of someone else who would know more than me about the club day to day that I chose to believe. I now think, looking at the u23 results, that they were wrong. Although I still maintain he isn’t a good tactical and could never be our manager contrary to many on here, they can be no doubt that he must be a good coach, which at youth level, is what really really matters.

Tactically naive but you’ll struggle to find many managers at first team level who aren’t. He got us playing exciting football more consistently than Frank, although he did have the fortune of having strongest squad at Derby in the last 15 years

9 hours ago, 86 points said:

Think it's kind of sad really. Recent reports seem to suggest that the glaring errors made might not be the only ones under the current regime which would upset me as I've been pretty staunch where Mel's concerned. I'm not buying them just yet though...

No doubt I've just not read every post on the Board again, but to what do you refer @86 points?

Colin Addison was underated   as a coach - he also had to deal with Docs shocking transfers and crippling finances at DCFC

in 1981 we couldn’t pay the subby to run the electronic scoreboard!! 

reading the first Vol of the Turbulent Eightees - good read 

Scott Carson is used as a scapegoat for our recent lack of form just because he made two or three errors when he has been absolutely outstanding for 2 seasons for us. Kelle Roos meanwhile made two mistakes in a handful of starts with a truly awful attempt to try and parry the shot that resulted in Jed Wallace scoring for Millwall yet is excused because he's a "youngster" when he's flipping twenty-six.

59 minutes ago, AlfonzoBurlonzo said:

Scott Carson is used as a scapegoat for our recent lack of form just because he made two or three errors when he has been absolutely outstanding for 2 seasons for us. Kelle Roos meanwhile made two mistakes in a handful of starts with a truly awful attempt to try and parry the shot that resulted in Jed Wallace scoring for Millwall yet is excused because he's a "youngster" when he's flipping twenty-six.

It's easier to 'diss' players with history, and say yeah they did this and that and they're crap. But newbies have a clean slate and are therefore preferable to many fans.

15 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Wilson is really not that good he’s average at best 

I’d disagree that he’s not good, but he doesn’t impact or influence games for huge chunks. He doesn’t pull strings like Mount does, instead he goes quiet then comes up with a moment of magic. There was a 5 game stretch where he looked Prem quality, other than that he has not done enough

A bit of a luxury in the Champ for the fee he would command.

Archived