Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

1 minute ago, LB_DCFC said:

unless we look into the foreign market, there isn't many other if any other players that can provide that in england besides Lawrence. 

This is nonsense, imo. How come every other club who purchases players from England manage to find them, but we don't? If needed a winger last season, everyone would have said the same, yet Ipswich got Lawrence who wasn't exactly a known quantity at the time. There are plenty of other players out there, not just one player that can fit us from the entirety of England, that's just wrong.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine a) we probably offered a moderate fee (£4-5m) plus add ons, and they'll want more up front/guaranteed, and b) it's likely a standard negotiating tactic from both sides anyway. We'll be back in with something a bit higher and adding up to around £8m and get it over the line. Nice to see us being serious, but it becomes more of a gamble the higher the price rises.

If he wanted to leave he could quite easily push a move through by saying he won't sign a new deal and they'll soon get rid while he commands a fee.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Leicester are holding out for £1-2m more. Suspect Derby can get this done if they pay what Leicester are asking for, but I doubt we will considering the approach Gary Rowett has outlined. 

He's staying at Leicester. Shakespeare likes him and wants as many British players at the club as possible. Mahrez and Gray most likely leaving them means that they will be keeping the rest of the wingers. In this market, you need to be proactive, not reactive.

I guess part of the problem is everyone involved knows that Derby got around £10 million for Ince so any club who thinks we are replacing him with their player will want as much of that £10 million as possible. A bit like when Liverpool sold Torres then paid absolutely mental money for Andy Carroll, Newcastle knew they had that cash so that is where they set the price.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

He's staying at Leicester. Shakespeare likes him and wants as many British players at the club as possible. Mahrez and Gray most likely leaving them means that they will be keeping the rest of the wingers. In this market, you need to be proactive, not reactive.

Strange how they've not given him a contract yet if they want to keep him. 

Can't wait to be f***ed about, ask them what their asking price is, then if we don't agree with them, that's it - move on to next one on our list and maybe go back in Jan if he still hasn't signed a new contract and is a declining asset !!!

There are other wingers about in the lower divisions - I suggest we look elsewhere !!!

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Obviously isn't overly keen on him because he said he was going to take a look at him in pre season. And would have stated that he is categorically not for sale and offered him a new contract 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

This is nonsense, imo. How come every other club who purchases players from England manage to find them, but we don't? If needed a winger last season, everyone would have said the same, yet Ipswich got Lawrence who wasn't exactly a known quantity at the time. There are plenty of other players out there, not just one player that can fit us from the entirety of England, that's just wrong.

I should've said ther isn't many known players that can offer that in England. There could be an unknown player to us or me that has the quality needed, but what Lawrence has is the guarantee that he has done it at this level at the quality required. Now, he could be a complete one season wonder, but if rowett genuinely believes that Lawrence will provide what we need, we should Persue him until the value requested is over the top in the clubs eyes

1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Strange how they've not given him a contract yet if they want to keep him. 

They might have done behind the scenes but Shakespeare definitely wants to keep him. I'm guessing guarantees at the moment is the issue. He said during a show along with Tony pulis during the Asia trophy that young British players aren't given a chance and both want to provide them with as much of a chance as possible this season. Iheanacho moving to Leicester doesn't really have any impact on our pursuit of Lawrence. Mahrez is as good as gone with him holding the Roma shirt and apparently Gray's attitude is appalling. Don't really see how they can let 3 wingers go in my opinion, especially with the way they play.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Source?

There is no way we have waited this long for Lawrence without finding out the price Leicester want for him and if he is actually interested in joining us.

Also I don't think this 7m offer is a whole 7m up front either, will be a similar situation to Ince where Huddersfield knew the asking price but were trying to stagger the payments whereas we wanted so much up front.

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

#freeTomLawrence

Lol. Shall we try and make it to 500 pages for this like Thorne thread(best one by miles) ?

18 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

£7 million is more than fair.

And, depending on how it's structured, is rather more than we got for Hughes. Will played 165 games for us and 22 for England U21s. Tom has manged 3 for Leicester. OK he's also played 75 games on loan at teams below us (and is older than Will). In his career Tom has had only one good season.

Are we always to be a club that sells low and buys high? Sigh...

Archived