Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

Think I disagree with the vast majority on this bid. Bit confused by people's sudden vested interests in protecting Mel's money. 7 ish million is about the going rate for a top 6 standard championship winger today. I'd argue people have to consider how much a player is worth to a club changes depending on the club. For us, we are one or two top quality attacking players - particularly wingers - away from being proper top six contenders. Lawrence could be worth a whole lot more than 7 million to Derby. 

If we were prepared to bid 7, I see no harm in going to 8 - what's a million to Mr Candy Crush anyway. Perhaps we offered lots in add ons but Leicester wanted it upfront. I wouldn't want us to completely shut this option off now, but at the same time I hope we have other bids in for other targets. 7/8 million ish might just be enough to call Brentford's bluff on Jota...

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

And, depending on how it's structured, is rather more than we got for Hughes. Will played 165 games for us and 22 for England U21s. Tom has manged 3 for Leicester. OK he's also played 75 games on loan at teams below us (and is older than Will). In his career Tom has had only one good season.

Are we always to be a club that sells low and buys high? Sigh...

Look at this one as the Ince replacement and it makes a bit more sense. We got £10 million for Ince and Leicester know it.

In my head the Hughes money has already been spent on Huddlestone, Davies and Wisdom.

1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

Think I disagree with the vast majority on this bid. Bit confused by people's sudden vested interests in protecting Mel's money. 7 ish million is about the going rate for a top 6 standard championship winger today. I'd argue people have to consider how much a player is worth to a club changes depending on the club. For us, we are one or two top quality attacking players - particularly wingers - away from being proper top six contenders. Lawrence could be worth a whole lot more than 7 million to Derby. 

If we were prepared to bid 7, I see no harm in going to 8 - what's a million to Mr Candy Crush anyway. Perhaps we offered lots in add ons but Leicester wanted it upfront. I wouldn't want us to completely shut this option off now, but at the same time I hope we have other bids in for other targets. 7/8 million ish might just be enough to call Brentford's bluff on Jota...

I think we all realised that over spending on players that weren't worth it cost us some of our best players this year. It puts extra pressure on the club, the managers, and maybe one of the reasons (amongst others) in the sale of Hughes and Ince. The fact is spunking all of our money up the wall isn't going to help us get promoted, as we, and many others, have proven. What makes Lawrence worth 7 million? He's had a sole good season in his career, surely that puts him on par with Blackman, who many others hate? 

My GUESS is we've been told £7 mil is the price. We've structured a deal with x upfront and y and z in add ons. They've said we want £7 mil upfront. We will go back with x be in higher and y and z being lower. They will say £7 mil upfront cappiche?! We got f*** it here's £10 mil instead ?

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think we all realised that over spending on players that weren't worth it cost us some of our best players this year. It puts extra pressure on the club, the managers, and maybe one of the reasons (amongst others) in the sale of Hughes and Ince. The fact is spunking all of our money up the wall isn't going to help us get promoted, as we, and many others, have proven. What makes Lawrence worth 7 million? He's had a sole good season in his career, surely that puts him on par with Blackman, who many others hate? 

Blackman had had a decent 3 months as opposed to a season. Other than Lawrence's brilliant season with Ipswich, he appears to have impressed at Leicester a lot in preseason. I'd also point to my point about players being worth more to different clubs. Derby are in real need of a wide man, Lawrence is worth more to us than other clubs. 

These are the sort of prices you have to pay for players these days. 12 months on his contract mind is a bit concerning, wouldn't go silly with the bids. 

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

Blackman had had a decent 3 months as opposed to a season. Other than Lawrence's brilliant season with Ipswich, he appears to have impressed at Leicester a lot in preseason. I'd also point to my point about players being worth more to different clubs. Derby are in real need of a wide man, Lawrence is worth more to us than other clubs. 

Pre season has never been an accurate measure to tell how good a player is, the squads are experimental, and teams play vs some real dross who are trying to get their fitness up. OK, we need a winger, but Leicester shouldn't have our pants down, it's not a monopoly, there is other sellers of other wingers, we shouldn't overpay. 

5 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Think I disagree with the vast majority on this bid. Bit confused by people's sudden vested interests in protecting Mel's money. 7 ish million is about the going rate for a top 6 standard championship winger today.

Is he a top 6 standard winger though? That's the question - I think he probably is and would probably improve - But we just don't know

Ince was a steal at just under that when we got him - Proven quality - But when we signed him on loan with that as a fee Hull certainly didn't seem to see it as a loss - Until he bossed it for us on loan

Matt Ritchie was £12m and a class above this league

I was going to say anything above £8m for a player who has had one good season is a bit much for me

Considering we sold hughes for 8mil. 7mil is too much in my opinion for someone as unproven as TL. I wouldnt bother with it anymore tbh. 

Leicester are clearly not wanting to sell but for a stupid price. Let Brighton have him for 13mil or whatever they want.

We will have Dave Cotterill the next best Welsh winger instead :ph34r:.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Pre season has never been an accurate measure to tell how good a player is, the squads are experimental, and teams play vs some real dross who are trying to get their fitness up. OK, we need a winger, but Leicester shouldn't have our pants down, it's not a monopoly, there is other sellers of other wingers, we shouldn't overpay. 

I'd argue in today's market, 7 million isn't overpaying for a top championship player. If you don't think Lawrence is that then fair enough, but clearly the club do. Brighton even rate him enough for the prem. 

Just now, kingsy1884 said:

Considering we sold hughes for 8mil. 7mil is too much in my opinion for someone as unproven as TL. I wouldnt bother with it anymore tbh. 

Leicester are clearly not wanting to sell but for a stupid price. Let Brighton have him for 13mil or whatever they want.

We will have Dave Cotterill the next best Welsh winger instead :ph34r:.

Pretty sure we sold Hughey for £10m. 

7 minutes ago, JayRam1 said:

Owen Bradley saying we have had 2 bids rejected, so doesnt look good does it?

If we've bid twice then it would suggest the opposite in my opinion. Huddersfield bid at least three times before they got Ince. How often do teams accept the very first bid?

Two bids would suggest it's more of a negotiation. Leicester probably named their price, we named ours, then bid until it's met somewhere in between. If we bid just the once and left it then it would seem as if Leicester were asking for way too much, or have told us there is no chance.

13 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I reckon it would take at least £10 million for them to even consider it for a second.

Archived