Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

And, depending on how it's structured, is rather more than we got for Hughes. Will played 165 games for us and 22 for England U21s. Tom has manged 3 for Leicester. OK he's also played 75 games on loan at teams below us (and is older than Will). In his career Tom has had only one good season.

Are we always to be a club that sells low and buys high? Sigh...

Exactly- we should walk away - if they want to keep him then fair enough- if they want to sell him with one year left just be sensible and I think our bid is too high at £7 million already

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Will he want to leave though if he's got a much greater chance of starting? 

For how long though? It's pretty clear he hasn't been guaranteed anything yet or else he would surely sign a new deal. In an ideal world for Lawrence I'm sure he'd love to stay at Leicester, but only if he plays.

He knows he'll only be playing as a last resort if Leicester can't replace those they lose. If he wants to do that, then good luck to him, and in that case he's probably not the player we're looking for.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

@McLovin your post also suggests that had we tabled the exact same offer as soon as Ince left, it'd have been accepted. That's a complete guess yet you're using it to bash the club for 'failing' to get the deal done.

There's not a 100% chance it would have accepted, but there would have been a much greater chance than at the moment with the sudden turn of events. I don't know who are advising the people in the board to wait before making the bids in the hope of getting a better deal because as the market gets closer to the deadline, player prices will only increase as teams know other teams become desperate.

In this market you have to buy before you can sell. Previously, it was the opposite but this market is crazy so you must get the deals done for main targets early.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Will he want to leave though if he's got a much greater chance of starting? 

The thing is me owd, if Gray and Mahrez  get sold, Leicester wouldn't just Bank the money, sit on it and play reserves/squad players, they'd go out and buy replacements and your Lawrence's and the like will still be scratching about waiting for the odd sub appearance here and there.

If Shakespeare was convinced Lawrence could cut it in the Premier League week in week out, he wouldn't have needed to "take a look at him" in pre season friendlies, he'd know by what he's done in training. 

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

For how long though? It's pretty clear he hasn't been guaranteed anything yet or else he would surely sign a new deal. In an ideal world for Lawrence I'm sure he'd love to stay at Leicester, but only if he plays.

He knows he'll only be playing as a last resort if Leicester can't replace those they lose. If he wants to do that, then good luck to him, and in that case he's probably not the player we're looking for.

Shakespeare said that he wants to give British players a much greater chance to impress. Had Ranieri still been there, I maybe would have agreed but he literally only said the other week that he wants to give British players more of a chance. And just because he's hasn't signed a deal now, doesn't mean they cannot offer him one during the season. Lawrence will probably back himself to play at Leicester if two of his main competitors for the starting spot leave. 

2 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

The thing is me owd, if Gray and Mahrez  get sold, Leicester wouldn't just Bank the money, sit on it and play reserves/squad players, they'd go out and buy replacements and your Lawrence's and the like will still be scratching about waiting for the odd sub appearance here and there.

If Shakespeare was convinced Lawrence could cut it in the Premier League week in week out, he wouldn't have needed to "take a look at him" in pre season friendlies, he'd know by what he's done in training. 

How do you know that they will go out and spend it? I very much doubt they would after what happened last summer with their awful signings, he may want to stick to what he knows. He might prefer a smaller squad because they will have less games this season than last season with no European football.

Just now, McLovin said:

How do you know that they will go out and spend it? I very much doubt they would after what happened last summer with their awful signings, he may want to stick to what he knows. He might prefer a smaller squad because they will have less games this season than last season with no European football.

How do you know Lawrence would go up the pecking order ?

Leicester loved dining at the top table last year, they are going to want to get back to it a) for the kudos and b) to keep their big names, if they start settling for mid table safety now, your Vardy's and Drinkwater's and Schmeical's will be giving them the bodyswerve. They love lording it up in international squads and all that goes with it.

Lawrence, however promising is never going to play in a team seriously competing for a Champions League place which is what Leicester's owners will want.

1 hour ago, RamsFan10 said:

Blackman had had a decent 3 months as opposed to a season. Other than Lawrence's brilliant season with Ipswich, he appears to have impressed at Leicester a lot in preseason. I'd also point to my point about players being worth more to different clubs. Derby are in real need of a wide man, Lawrence is worth more to us than other clubs. 

These are the sort of prices you have to pay for players these days. 12 months on his contract mind is a bit concerning, wouldn't go silly with the bids. 

Lawrence had a decent season at Ipswich now if that was brilliant then that is the best he can achieve for us! 

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

I think it'll be between £9m-£11m. 

I hope not - it totally inhibits our ability to wheel and deal if we commit that much at this stage

17 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Think it might be time to look toward Man city/Chelsea/Liverpool for a loan

Well Man City have just Navas leave on a free, which is £7 million cheaper ! 

11 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Spot on EHR. 

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Shakespeare said that he wants to give British players a much greater chance to impress. Had Ranieri still been there, I maybe would have agreed but he literally only said the other week that he wants to give British players more of a chance. And just because he's hasn't signed a deal now, doesn't mean they cannot offer him one during the season. Lawrence will probably back himself to play at Leicester if two of his main competitors for the starting spot leave. 

Tell him he will get game time and offer him a new contract then. They can't be that keen to give Lawrence a chance or else we wouldn't even be wasting our time on him.

It's very much dependent on Lawrence. If he wants to go, I don't think Leicester have a lot of choice and a deal won't be too far away.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I reckon it would take at least £10 million for them to even consider it for a second.

Probably right. The trouble is that Premier transfer fees are so grossly inflated compared to the Champtionship that Leicester will think that £10m is chicken feed. Not to us it ain't. 

3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

How do you know Lawrence would go up the pecking order ?

Leicester loved dining at the top table last year, they are going to want to get back to it a) for the kudos and b) to keep their big names, if they start settling for mid table safety now, your Vardy's and Drinkwater's and Schmeical's will be giving them the bodyswerve. They love lording it up in international squads and all that goes with it.

Lawrence, however promising is never going to play in a team seriously competing for a Champions League place which is what Leicester's owners will want.

Lawrence may back himself to go up in the pecking order because two players that Leicester are familiar with and know what to expect are set to leave. If Leicester make more signings like Musa last year then it won't be be long before Lawrence makes the team so he might be willing to take the risk, if he fails to do so then he might want to leave in January. Leicester played well by playing the players that they are familiar with and I think that they are more likely to make the champions league by going to what they were before rather than making more signings that don't understand the system. 

Archived