Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Maybe or we're showing ambitious ?

Doesn't seem ambitious to me to sell our best player for £8m - £10m when he had 2 years left on his deal, to then replace him with a player who has just 1 year left and isn't even a first choice for Leicester, for near enough the same fee. It just seems like yet more stupidity from whoever negotiates all of our transfers.

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Doesn't seem ambitious to me to sell our best player for £8m - £10m when he had 2 years left on his deal, to then replace him with a player who has just 1 year left and isn't even a first choice for Leicester, for near enough the same fee. It just seems like yet more stupidity from whoever negotiates all of our transfers.

Hence the question mark though Cam.

1 hour ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

£7m is a good offer. Probably down to how we pay. Leicester will want most of it up front I'd imagine. 

The same Leicester that haven't paid their FFP fine when they were promoted! Well they can go whistle for me. Far too good an offer for a guy who had one good loan spell last season and a huge gamble for us.

Very good player and still young, but we've seen plenty of times how it can go badly wrong signing a player after just one good season. My only worry is that if we don't get Lawrence, there doesn't seem to be too many alternatives who're proven at this level or above who would cost under £10 million. Of course, there's always the option to look abroad for signings, but we've not exactly done too well with those lately either. 

This is why I'm not a fan at all of 'waiting for the price' of a player to drop. It will never happen in this market, you either get your deals done early for main targets or be left behind. We've put ourselves in absolutely awful negotiation spot now with the situation with both Gray and Mahrez. Had we tried to conclude the deal a lot sooner rather than trying to get a better deal, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now. We most likely will end up making a bid far greater than what we originally planned due to other competitors and the greater need for Leicester to keep him than previously. The club deserve praise for the other deals done so far but we've made a right balls up of the Lawrence deal. Any hope of getting a good deal went up in flames as soon as Mahrez and Gray starting pushing out of Leicester.

Just now, Terry Hennessey said:

TBH I'd prefer us to spend the money on a creative / wide midfield player. No point having all these forwards if there's no one to set up the opportunities in the first place.

Errr...he is a wide midfield player who creates chances

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Any hope of getting a good deal went up in flames as soon as Mahrez and Gray starting pushing out of Leicester.

And if Lawrence pushes out of Leicester? If he wants to leave, he'll leave.

If he tells them he wants to leave, the only way they'll keep him is if they're stubborn enough to keep him as back up for one more year then lose him for nothing. 

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

This is why I'm not a fan at all of 'waiting for the price' of a player to drop. It will never happen in this market, you either get your deals done early for main targets or be left behind. We've put ourselves in absolutely awful negotiation spot now with the situation with both Gray and Mahrez. Had we tried to conclude the deal a lot sooner rather than trying to get a better deal, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now. We most likely will end up making a bid far greater than what we originally planned due to other competitors and the greater need for Leicester to keep him than previously. The club deserve praise for the other deals done so far but we've made a right balls up of the Lawrence deal. Any hope of getting a good deal went up in flames as soon as Mahrez and Gray starting pushing out of Leicester.

Weren't we told to be patient as our targets were going on tour? How can you blame the club for that? Shakespeare may have wanted to see Lawrence on the tour before making his decisions, and so perhaps it couldn't have been avoided? How can you slate the club without knowledge of my prior questions? Seems odd.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

And if Lawrence pushes out of Leicester? If he wants to leave, he'll leave.

If he tells them he wants to leave, the only way they'll keep him is if they're stubborn enough to keep him as back up for one more year then lose him for nothing. 

Will he want to leave though if he's got a much greater chance of starting? 

Archived