Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

This is nonsense, imo. How come every other club who purchases players from England manage to find them, but we don't? If needed a winger last season, everyone would have said the same, yet Ipswich got Lawrence who wasn't exactly a known quantity at the time. There are plenty of other players out there, not just one player that can fit us from the entirety of England, that's just wrong.

It isn't really if you disect it. Lawrence could be a proper Ince replacement and £7-8m is high enough. There are very few English based players of that profile at that cost/wages. The only others are  probably Judge and Jota and Brentford will make us pay very silly money for them. 

Other than that in our division you're paying significantly more for Sessegnon, Zahore (or Murphy before he joined Newcastle), paying similar for Adams, Wildschutt or Reach who are half the player, or buying a player at the end of their career such as Agbonlahor or Downing.

Start looking upwards and the fees for Ritchie,  Ibe and similar are above our station, wages for players ranging from Sakho through to Lennon are prohibitive and players you could afford to bring down are those that haven't made the grade like McManaman.

Phillips or Robson-Kanu may fit in between them somewhere.

The other options are signing/loaning players like Kent, Ojo and so on with limited experience and at a tender age who by definition are going out for experience, picking somebody from lower down who realistically isn't going to make such a huge transition that they immediately become our creative force,  or going abroad and risking another Camara.

So who is your plan b?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The figure of £7m seems to have been around for a while, If that is the case maybe it is a case of the deal's structure? Any promotion clause would be welcome if we had to pay £10m following a promotion (of course it's not my money).

It'll be interesting to see what happens now, whether we (significantly) increase our bid, or move on?

I'm presuming Mel Morris will support Gary in his decisions over players, but how much is too much and what other options are there at a higher price? 

Pat Murphy questioned whether Lawrence actually wants to move too, something else to think about I suppose? Players like Chilwell and other 'championship' players have thrived I  Leicesters team. He might well fancy his chances, especially if the other wingers are being sold. 

I'd also suggest Brighton would not pay more than us for him, but the lure of the Premier league would certainly be more attractive. 

I still think we will sign him (and make him our new number 10) if Gary thinks it's value for money. 

Just now, Rample said:

It isn't really if you disect it. Lawrence could be a proper Ince replacement and £7-8m is high enough. There are very few English based players of that profile at that cost/wages. The only others are  probably Judge and Jota and Brentford will make us pay very silly money for them. 

Other than that in our division you're paying significantly more for Sessegnon, Zahore (or Murphy before he joined Newcastle), paying similar for Adams, Wildschutt or Reach who are half the player, or buying a player at the end of their career such as Agbonlahor or Downing.

Start looking upwards and the fees for Ritchie,  Ibe and similar are above our station, wages for players ranging from Sakho through to Lennon are prohibitive and players you could afford to bring down are those that haven't made the grade like McManaman.

The other options are signing/loaning players like Kent, Ojo and so on with limited experience and at a tender age who by definition are going out for experience, picking somebody from lower down who realistically isn't going to make such a huge transition that they immediately become our creative force,  or going abroad and risking another Camara.

So who is your plan b?

I'm no scout. I won't pretend like I know all the wingers in this country, and you shouldn't either, but if you mean to tell me only Jota, Judge or Lawrence are possible targets to fill Ince's boots I'd disagree with you.

If this was the case, how is it the other clubs manage to unearth these hidden gems, and yet we don't? Maybe it's a case of giving someone a chance? You don't have to always buy 'proven' quality, as these so called proven players often flop just as hard, however holding larger pay packets. I don't want us to waste all of our money buying into the so called proven tag, I wouldn't mind us taking a punt at some lower league, or younger players. Tottenham took a punt at Dele Alli. He was cheaper than Tom Lawrence. He's now worth north of 60 million. 

Obviously, we're hugely unlikely to unearth a player of that talent, but they are out there. Sticking to the so called list of 'proven players' narrows our search, but also hasn't served us well in the past few years, and has led to us overpaying, whilst being overtaken by the clubs we bought the players from, see Huddersfield after we bought Butterfield. 

Think 7 mill is generous ,may need to be regurgitated so they see the wonga sooner rather than later to seal the deal. Wouldn't want to pay any more,if the lad wants to come he will come,only has to say he aint interested in a new contract with the Fox's  and he could be having a medical tomorrow. Dont see a que for his signature from else where  ,think Brighton intrest is bullux.

4 minutes ago, Rample said:

So who is your plan b?

Agree with most of that, although Robson-Kanu is League Two at best, living off the only good goal he will ever score at the Euros. I would be absolutely horrified if we tried to sign him!

A quiet word from Lawrence that he wants to leave for regular football and they'll be ringing us back asking if the offer's still on the table.

Huddlestone left Hull because they didn't make him an offer until it was too late. If Leicester really wanted to keep Lawrence, they'd have tied him up by now.

If TL wants to join Derby then the deal will get done. I can't see him featuring too often regardless of who Leicester lose, so £7mil is more than fair for a player who can walk for nothing in 11 months time.

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

Can't wait for Derby to announce David Cotterill, and a whole season of Cotterill and Russell down each flank :D

Knew one would mentioned Cotterill ? don't do this Gary ?????

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I'd only pay more if it's promotion related add ons. £7 million rising to 10 is ok in this day and age. Especially if we reach the promise land.  

Can you see us going back in with a higher offer mate?

For those thinking 7 million is too much, who could we get for less who would be as good or better? 

Would 7m get Jota? Probably not. It definitely wouldn't get Ibe. Might get Toral, but Gary never played him on the wing at Brum and I'd argue he isn't of Lawrence's standard. Probably would get Sako, but he's on massive wages, 30 years old and probably no better. 7 million wouldn't get Gradel from Bournemouth, definitely wouldn't get Matt Ritchie. 

5 minutes ago, JayRam1 said:

Can you see us going back in with a higher offer mate?

Honestly I don't know mate. 

We must be confident of getting him and we must be confident that Lawrence wants to come because we wouldn't waste our time. 

Obviously negotiating on Leicester's part. They have a figure they want we have a figure we want. Could come down to the way the deal is structured in add ons etc. 

If we can't agree then we move on to other targets. But if we do sign him for 8 million plus. Id imagine there's no chance of Jota cos he'd be a similar amount. 

Archived