Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

Just now, i-Ram said:

Who?

Some saying he's the worst RB we've ever had? He's been part of our record breaking defensive over the last few years! 

Cyrus is a good Championship right back. I reckon Wisdom is an improvement, but that doesn't take about Cyrus' service to the club. 

Who knows, Monk is a good manager and he may bring the best out of him. He may have the last laugh. 

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Jesus absolute daylight robbery from us! We've basically swapped christie who I can barely count as a footballer for the best right back we've had in years for the square root of f**k all! We've had some terrible outgoings recently but looks like we've asked mr bean as the negotiator and brought in the mafia for this deal!

Very harsh on Cyrus. He was a very good footballer. He'd benefit immensely from playing as either an attacking full back or a wing back. 

I agree that the deal is very good for us though. If we paid 2m+ for a right back, who hasn't held down the spot in the previous season, with only a year left on their contract I'd say we were ripped off

I'm not aiming this at anyone on here, more social media and other clubs' fans but how precious have we got over transfer fee's?

Ever since deals started to become more and more inclined to "add ons" (or reported more like this) people have got so defensive it's unreal. You speak to any Huddersfield fan and we paid 5 million+ upfront for Butters yet they'll argue they only paid 7 for Ince.. completely discounting any add ons or further payments. It's just another annoying trait that seems to have arrived. 

I couldn't care less, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume clubs don't agree deals with these add ons unless they are pretty likely to occur, there would be no point otherwise. It's not like the football manager days of having to add 50 International appearances worth 6 million to get the deal over the line. :lol:

Not quite seeing this as daylight pants down robbery as others are, Christie can frustrate me no end, give us 12 months and I'll say the same about Wisdom, that's what you get from Championship players otherwise they would be Premier League players.

I would say it's pretty good business for all parties, judging by his recent interview he's not in Rowett's plans, possibly third choice given the style of full back he is. Boro are getting a top half full back for £2.5m which in today's market is a snip but given his contract situation we're not in a position to ask for more. 

One of those players that could shine elsewhere with a fresh start. Could be another ex Ram in the Premier League next season. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Self confidence doesn't paint him in the best light? So you'd prefer him to say he thinks he's naff, and he can't understand why anyone would sign him? If he was that bad, why would Garry Monk sign him? 'The only player you've been genuinely concerned to see on the team sheet' is a terrible comment. We've had some real dross in recent years. Cyrus Christie doesn't come close to how bad some of our other players have been. 

There's a difference between self confidence and denial of the coaching skills of your manager who believes you need to adapt your game, having been a player at a higher level in the same position as you. Honestly don't know why Garry monks signed him, I assume he thinks he can improve his footballing brain and get the best out of his technical ability, not sure whether that's possible given what I've seen but maybe it is, we will see. In recent years I meant since the mcclaren era, evidently I was scared of the entire team sheet a decade ago!

Good deal for both parties i think but some of the comments here are atrocious at best. 

He has been a good RB for us making over 100 appearances. His only issue i think is confidence when he is on it he is fantastic when he isnt he can struggle.

Wisdom is an improvment for the way we want to play.

Our back 4 looks so solid now.

TobyWanKenobi

Good luck to him. Got a lot more stick than he deserved here, and that's reflected by the amount of interest that was shown in him and the fee paid.

End of the day Wisdom is better though.

7 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Some saying he's the worst RB we've ever had? He's been part of our record breaking defensive over the last few years! 

Cyrus is a good Championship right back. I reckon Wisdom is an improvement, but that doesn't take about Cyrus' service to the club. 

Who knows, Monk is a good manager and he may bring the best out of him. He may have the last laugh. 

Some on here are being very silly about Christie who i am certain will be sold by Middlesbrough for more than we we get, very good championship player at present who may well move higher.

On 25/06/2017 at 20:57, 86 points said:

I guess I'm probably one of the few that would like to see him stay but I suppose if Wisdom is to play RB, then Cyrus would struggle to get regular football. I guess this means Baird's services will be still be required and after a good last season for us, that's probably fair enough.

It's a shame to see the squad being broken up but it's the nature of things and we needed to ring the changes. Still trying to get my head round the £8 mill fee for Highes though :mellow:

£2.5m plus a sell on clause is a good deal for an inconsistent and erratic player.Good luck to him,Hughes,Ince and Camara.Wisdom and Davies are good additions and Thorne,Martin,Forsyth and Weimann have all returned.I'm ready for that promised "top quality signing" when you get back this weekend Gary!?

Good luck Cyrus.

Perhaps a little "style over substance"-type player whereas GR clearly prefers substance over style. Baird did a great job when covering for Cyrus and revealed an assured and very competent tenure; since then Cyrus's time has been numbered. He'll do well with Boro. 

We need a midfield general and a flair forward player to come in. I wonder who GR has in mind?

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

To be honest, I can't say I have in a derby shirt given the opposition he's been facing. He tried his best, never doubt that, technically he's got ability but unfortunately he's got the footballing brain of a 2 year old. You cannot take the amount of time he does on the ball in this division, it slows the play down horrifically. His crossing is woeful, constantly out of position, tbh he's probably the only player in recent years I've genuinely been concerned to see on the team sheet. His recent comments don't exactly paint him in the best light either, doesn't seem willing to adapt to improve or understand the need for him to improve. Excellent deal by rowett to make this amount of profit ok him imo

Ssewankambo?

Archived