Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

47 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

To be honest, I can't say I have in a derby shirt given the opposition he's been facing. He tried his best, never doubt that, technically he's got ability but unfortunately he's got the footballing brain of a 2 year old. You cannot take the amount of time he does on the ball in this division, it slows the play down horrifically. His crossing is woeful, constantly out of position, tbh he's probably the only player in recent years I've genuinely been concerned to see on the team sheet. His recent comments don't exactly paint him in the best light either, doesn't seem willing to adapt to improve or understand the need for him to improve. Excellent deal by rowett to make this amount of profit ok him imo

Whilst I agree with some of your post, he isn't the worst RB we have had recently. Seeing as you are only 17 there will be some of the terrible RBs that you won't have seen/remembered from the beginning of Clough's period, Connolly, Hunt, but can you honestly say that Christie is a worse player than Freeman or Adam Smith or even Shotton at RB in a Derby shirt? Fair enough on judging him against Wisdom and Brayford, he does become the "worst" to be seen.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, rynny said:

Whilst I agree with some of your post, he isn't the worst RB we have had recently. Seeing as you are only 17 there will be some of the terrible RBs that you won't have seen/remembered from the beginning of Clough's period, Connolly, Hunt, but can you honestly say that Christie is a worse player than Freeman or Adam Smith or even Shotton at RB in a Derby shirt? Fair enough on judging him against Wisdom and Brayford, he does become the "worst" to be seen.

Thought Adam Smith was decent. There are reasons why he's a premier league player

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Thought Adam Smith was decent. There are reasons why he's a premier league player

I'd say he was decent; he did a job. Would I have him over Wisdom or Brayford in his day? No chance.

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

He wasn't really any better than Christie during his time here though.

Just now, rynny said:

He wasn't really any better than Christie during his time here though.

Exactly. He was decent, but then so was Christie. Not on the same level that either Wisdom or Brayford was when they were here.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

Think it would be harsh to judge smith on his time in a derby shirt, he didn't appear good enough but you could always tell imo there was potential there, he only played about 10 games though so didn't think it fair to include him in a comparison. Must admit I'd completely forgot the existence of freeman, I'll agree he probably was at least as bad as Christie, but he was generally a backup tbf, only was first choice for a few games before wisdom arrived. I actually didn't mind shotton at right back against popular opinion, wasn't brilliant by any stretch, but he was competent and solid enough there imo to allow our attackers to do their jobs, admittedly he only played their for a brief period of time so may have fallen apart mind!

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it would be harsh to judge smith on his time in a derby shirt, he didn't appear good enough but you could always tell imo there was potential there, he only played about 10 games though so didn't think it fair to include him in a comparison. Must admit I'd completely forgot the existence of freeman, I'll agree he probably was at least as bad as Christie, but he was generally a backup tbf, only was first choice for a few games before wisdom arrived. I actually didn't mind shotton at right back against popular opinion, wasn't brilliant by any stretch, but he was competent and solid enough there imo to allow our attackers to do their jobs, admittedly he only played their for a brief period of time so may have fallen apart mind!

I'd agree with that, other than the Shotton point. IMO No matter the position he played I never even saw Championship quality in him, how he ever got picked up by Stoke in the first place is beyond me. Could just be me being harsh though!

Feel a tad more optimistic with each departure.

Strange eh? Seems Rowett has a plan in place. With money in the piggy pot and the promise of "high quality" replacements. Nobody is safe this time 

Adios Cyrus

Of all the names on certain fan's lists of "players we need rid of" Christie was probably the only one anyone would actually want for the money we'd want/wages they get. It's likely going to be a long rest of the summer for those people.

35 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

He was very poor defensively with us which is why mac immediately brought in wisdom but he has gone on to do very well for Bournemouth 

Just now, Simsy said:

3rd choice right back only 1 year left on contract.. 2.5m and sell on fee.

Now that's the type of business I want from you derby.

Now come on with these very high quality ince replacements. :)

^ This

Well its 2.5million for a player who never really had a run of consistently good performances.

Would do something excellent and within a minute get caught out by poor play.

If he does find long term good form he'll be an asset to whichever team he plays for.

So think its safe to say that most fans are happy with this piece of business.

Plus I truly believe we have a far better defender ready to fill that right back berth.

Wisdom is a great signing and if he can get on the over lap every now and then like Forsyth he he could be one of great full backs such as  Phil Neal or Kenny Sansom.

Good luck to Cyrus Christie and thank you for your not inconsiderable efforts.

Derby county forever.

Archived