Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

Cyrus is probably the worst football player I have seen for years. He was inept, woeful, and perplexing to watch. Seeing that he had moved on made my day if not my summer.

cannot believe we got as much we did for him, flabbergasted. 

You need to get out a bit more methinks.

11 minutes ago, ramblur said:

As a rider to my above post,I'd point out that if the £7m went (or at least a very large part of it),then (probable) wage savings this year would quickly put us back on track.That's how important the fate of the £7m is.

I can't see any wage savings at the moment. Ince, Hughes and Christie out. Curtis and Wisdom in. If anything we'll be lucky to break even on wages or take on more cost. So will some of these fees go on wages?

7 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I can't see any wage savings at the moment. Ince, Hughes and Christie out. Curtis and Wisdom in. If anything we'll be lucky to break even on wages or take on more cost. So will some of these fees go on wages?

Do you think that Curtis and Wisdom combined would trump Ince,Hughes and Christie? I'd be a bit surprised by that.You've forgotten Camara,because he counts as an ongoing wage saving,even if we may have taken a small loss on book value.I think the number coming in (said to be 1 or 2) will depend on who else goes out.

4 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Just seen this:

Cyrus Christie: Only Cotterill (47) & Knockaert (42) made more accurate crosses from open play than Christie (39) in the C'ship last season 

Via: @WhoScored on Twitter

I'm dumbfounded.

How do you define an 'accurate cross'? Not surprised to see Cotterill in there mind.

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

Do you think that Curtis and Wisdom combined would trump Ince,Hughes and Christie? I'd be a bit surprised by that.You've forgotten Camara,because he counts as an ongoing wage saving,even if we may have taken a small loss on book value.I think the number coming in (said to be 1 or 2) will depend on who else goes out.

I think Curtis and Wisdom both premier league players would at least equal Ince, Hughes & Christie in wages just my opinion. I suspect if we can off load Bent we would start to make headway. 

18 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Really, about 90k saved on outgoings and 45-50k spent on incoming. Probably saving enough in wages this season to pay both initial transfer fees aswell.

14 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Just seen this:

Cyrus Christie: Only Cotterill (47) & Knockaert (42) made more accurate crosses from open play than Christie (39) in the C'ship last season 

Via: @WhoScored on Twitter

I'm dumbfounded.

Christie's were all to the opposite full back, which explains it.

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I think Curtis and Wisdom both premier league players would at least equal Ince, Hughes & Christie in wages just my opinion. I suspect if we can off load Bent we would start to make headway. 

I suppose you could argue that neither Curtis nor Wisdom were premier league players immediately before they signed,but I get your drift,even though I might not agree:p

10 minutes ago, ramblur said:

How do you define an 'accurate cross'? Not surprised to see Cotterill in there mind.

I would guess a ball from wider than 18 yard box into the box that is touched by a team mate. So a ball in that is too high but skims the head of a team mate is classed as an accurate cross.

5 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I suppose you could argue that neither Curtis nor Wisdom were premier league players immediately before they signed,but I get your drift,even though I might not agree:p

I may be undervaluing our outgoings. Also I doubt Curtis or Wisdom took a pay cut. 

Always liked and rated Cyrus, but he's a confidence player and it's hard to be confident when so many fans are on your back. It was noticeable how he'd come back from international duty and play well after bigging up by MON and the Irish fans. Obviously he wasn't in Rowett's plans (just as Hughes wasn't, neither player being selected regularly after GR took charge). 

At the top of their game I'd prefer Christie over Wisdom as Christie has a lot more to offer, but the manager probably thinks Wisdom will be more consistent. And this close season is all about backing Rowett's judgement and letting him build the team he wants. Rowett seems pretty clear on what he wants and something certainly had to change.

Fee about right. It doesn't make up for Hughes who should have netted us 4x as much as we asked, but we take what we can get and move on.

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

I would guess a ball from wider than 18 yard box into the box that is touched by a team mate. So a ball in that is too high but skims the head of a team mate is classed as an accurate cross.

Spose it would be an accurate cross if he meant to skim the head,lol. Somehow get the feeling this stat isn't going to be too helpful. 

9 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I may be undervaluing our outgoings. Also I doubt Curtis or Wisdom took a pay cut. 

May be imagining things here,but I seem to remember Curtis saying that wages weren't as important in his decision as the plan/ambitions of the club he was choosing?

21 minutes ago, rynny said:

How about a first time cross from the bye line against a cross where he has took the same man on three times then kicked it into the area after the whole team gas got back??

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

How about a first time cross from the bye line against a cross where he has took the same man on three times then kicked it into the area after the whole team gas got back??

Yeah,always remember the time Bent took up a great position and Cyrus could have found him with a simple square pass.Instead,for some reason he decided to weave his way to the byline and ended up giving Bent an awkward volley,that he put over the bar.For me,poor decision making was the major issue with Cyrus.

1 hour ago, ramblur said:

Spose it would be an accurate cross if he meant to skim the head,lol. Somehow get the feeling this stat isn't going to be too helpful. 

No it isn't really, I think the fact we didn't score from a single cross from Cyrus gives an idea of how dangerous his crosses were, obviously that still doesn't paint the full picture.

Archived