Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Our BBC reporter says 2.5m for Christie so that's the fee I'm going for. Don't have a clue about the Howson one so I'd take your word for it 

Fair enough I was just going off John Percy who always seems to be bang on.

Regardless, I think it's still a fair amount for the two. Lots of Norwich fans saying Howson was their best player last season and they're gutted to see him leave, as is their manager. Christie I'm not so sure on myself, all of your fans have very mixed reviews of him but I've also seen him play stormers, he's clearly high up Monks list so I'll trust him judgement on that. Don't forget that we had Nsue, a right back who could defend for toffee, when we got promoted and he looked a star. 

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Shame really. Good luck to him. He'll score against us no doubt when we have our usual crappy performances against 'Boro! 

The screamer front of South Stand I can see it. ?

8 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Depends who people choose to believe doesn't it!

Personally I like to trust only the information coming from John Percy and @OwenB87 which would put the fees at Hughes £8m + potential £2.5m in addons + sell on %, Ince £8.5m + £2.8m in almost certain add-ons & Christie £2.5m + a sell on %.

Total fees of £19m + £2.8m in almost certain add-ons (Ince) + £2.5m in potential add-ons + a sell on % (Hughes) + sell on % Christie.

Doesn't sound like a ball park figure of £23m is too far out, unless people (not you) choose to pick all the lowest quoted figures (mainly from sky sports) in order to suit their own agenda/argument against people running the club.

In my view (which people can feel free to disregard!) we can't be assuming that the sell on fee and 'potential' add on fees are going to amount to much. They might, but at this point in time we can only really account for what is going in the kitty. Based on the figures above best case scenario we will have £21.8 million.

We have already spent £2 million on Wisdom with another £2 million in likely add on's and 500k on Davies. So assuming we are spending all funds raised on new signings (which I reckon is unlikely) we have £17.3 million to spend. Should be plenty to replace Ince :)

Just now, BoroWill said:

Fair enough I was just going off John Percy who always seems to be bang on.

Regardless, I think it's still a fair amount for the two. Lots of Norwich fans saying Howson was their best player last season and they're gutted to see him leave, as is their manager. Christie I'm not so sure on myself, all of your fans have very mixed reviews of him but I've also seen him play stormers, he's clearly high up Monks list so I'll trust him judgement on that. Don't forget that we had Nsue, a right back who could defend for toffee, when we got promoted and he looked a star. 

My honest assessment on Christie is that he's a brilliant athlete. In the 15/16 season he was terrific but struggled last season with a few injuries and being kept out the side by Baird. Going forward is he great but sometimes struggles with the final delivery. He's a good 1 on 1 defender but when players get in behind he can struggle. His positioning can be poor at times. 

There's a fairly negative reception around him, I believe, because of some comments he came out with a month or so ago stating he is one of, if not the best fullback in the championship, which after the season he just had, isn't true. He has supposedly been doing well for the Irish recently 

He will probably do well for you. 2/2.5m isn't a crazy fee considering the money thrown about these days. Fulham just sold Malone to Hudds for 3.5m he was absolutely horrific against Derby last season. 

Jesus absolute daylight robbery from us! We've basically swapped christie who I can barely count as a footballer for the best right back we've had in years for the square root of f**k all! We've had some terrible outgoings recently but looks like we've asked mr bean as the negotiator and brought in the mafia for this deal!

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

In my view (which people can feel free to disregard!) we can't be assuming that the sell on fee and 'potential' add on fees are going to amount to much. They might, but at this point in time we can only really account for what is going in the kitty. Based on the figures above best case scenario we will have £21.8 million.

We have already spent £2 million on Wisdom with another £2 million in likely add on's and 500k on Davies. So assuming we are spending all funds raised on new signings (which I reckon is unlikely) we have £17.3 million to spend. Should be plenty to replace Ince :)

People can go confused with that so called "add ons" are. Some will be guaranteed payments, which are just the fee spread out to ease the initial outlay by the club. And then some are based on future variables, such as a certain amount of appearances. The Hughes and Ince deals are more weighted towards the former, I've been told. 

Don't forget, when we're signing players, we won't be paying the full fee as well, they'll be spread out also. It all roughly evens out to be honest

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Jesus absolute daylight robbery from us! We've basically swapped christie who I can barely count as a footballer for the best right back we've had in years for the square root of f**k all! We've had some terrible outgoings recently but looks like we've asked mr bean as the negotiator and brought in the mafia for this deal!

Ridiculous comment, we've had many worse right backs than Cyrus Christie. To say you barely count him as a footballer is a ridiculous comment, Cyrus put a good shift in for us since we signed him.

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well I  will mention it before others do - do we still owe money to Middlesbrough for the Nugent transfer and maybe de sart loan or maybe we will be just swapping payments? 

Let the nay Sayers begin 

We probably sold Ince to Huddersfield because we owe them for Butters.

Next up will be Blackman to reading because we still owe them. :unsure:

Sorry, I need to add #itk

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well I  will mention it before others do - do we still owe money to Middlesbrough for the Nugent transfer and maybe de sart loan or maybe we will be just swapping payments? 

Let the nay Sayers begin 

You definitely still have some money outstanding to us on Nuge. I don't know if it's common practice to just write stuff like that off and us pay the difference in a situation like this or not.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That's stupid comment tbh. I guess that you may have not seen worse RB than CC in the past? 

CC did his best to give all for the club IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

That's stupid comment tbh. I guess that you may have not seen worse RB than CC in the past? 

CC did his best to give all for the club IMO. 

To be honest, I can't say I have in a derby shirt given the opposition he's been facing. He tried his best, never doubt that, technically he's got ability but unfortunately he's got the footballing brain of a 2 year old. You cannot take the amount of time he does on the ball in this division, it slows the play down horrifically. His crossing is woeful, constantly out of position, tbh he's probably the only player in recent years I've genuinely been concerned to see on the team sheet. His recent comments don't exactly paint him in the best light either, doesn't seem willing to adapt to improve or understand the need for him to improve. Excellent deal by rowett to make this amount of profit ok him imo

14 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

My honest assessment on Christie is that he's a brilliant athlete. In the 15/16 season he was terrific but struggled last season with a few injuries and being kept out the side by Baird. Going forward is he great but sometimes struggles with the final delivery. He's a good 1 on 1 defender but when players get in behind he can struggle. His positioning can be poor at times. 

There's a fairly negative reception around him, I believe, because of some comments he came out with a month or so ago stating he is one of, if not the best fullback in the championship, which after the season he just had, isn't true. He has supposedly been doing well for the Irish recently 

He will probably do well for you. 2/2.5m isn't a crazy fee considering the money thrown about these days. Fulham just sold Malone to Hudds for 3.5m he was absolutely horrific against Derby last season. 

I will go along with this, I like Christie, we will miss his attacking strength. I'm happy with the fee and got the feeling he was a little unhappy here. I wish him well and he will get a clap from me when he returns to PP.  Good luck Cyrus, go prove the doubters wrong but not against us 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

To be honest, I can't say I have in a derby shirt given the opposition he's been facing. He tried his best, never doubt that, technically he's got ability but unfortunately he's got the footballing brain of a 2 year old. You cannot take the amount of time he does on the ball in this division, it slows the play down horrifically. His crossing is woeful, constantly out of position, tbh he's probably the only player in recent years I've genuinely been concerned to see on the team sheet. His recent comments don't exactly paint him in the best light either, doesn't seem willing to adapt to improve or understand the need for him to improve. Excellent deal by rowett to make this amount of profit ok him imo

Self confidence doesn't paint him in the best light? So you'd prefer him to say he thinks he's naff, and he can't understand why anyone would sign him? If he was that bad, why would Garry Monk sign him? 'The only player you've been genuinely concerned to see on the team sheet' is a terrible comment. We've had some real dross in recent years. Cyrus Christie doesn't come close to how bad some of our other players have been. 

Archived