Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

But Hughes was distinctly average last season. And with the way we're going to play this season, I don't see that changing. 

The big clubs aren't in for him. There's a reason for that. His progress has stalled massively, and now is the right time for him to move on.

It does make me feel a bit sick knowing that we're selling Hughes for the same fee we paid for Vydra :lol:

And a huge part of that was him coming off the back of a season out injured. He was starting to play himself back into shape mid-season, until he picked up that hamstring injury and that seemed to set him back again.   That's nothing to do with progress stalling, it's entirely fitness related.  

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hughes is about 100th in the list for England place. There are Chelsea bench warmers ahead of him.

He's hardly first choice in Derby's midfield, and as I said about 2 seasons ago, he needs to start influencing the results of games.

Looking pretty with the ball isn't enough, and at some point "potential" has to turn into "performance". Can you say he improved much? I cannot say it and feel like I'm being honest.

There's no doubting he has a lot of attributes, but in the business of football, it's about consistent production of performance, and Will has had about half a good season, halted by injury, in all the years he has been here.

He's been in the Championship TOTY and FL YPOTY one season and then our POTS the year after…

The role under McClaren limited him as much as anything else as well. He was restricted to the right-hand side of the pitch and he was knitting triangles. 

He looked amazing under Clough, whose tactics were to "give the ball to Will" and Wassall who let him off the leash. 

5 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

But Hughes was distinctly average last season. And with the way we're going to play this season, I don't see that changing. 

The big clubs aren't in for him. There's a reason for that. His progress has stalled massively, and now is the right time for him to move on.

It does make me feel a bit sick knowing that we're selling Hughes for the same fee we paid for Vydra :lol:

So do you sell your stocks while the market has crashed?

You can try all you want to justify this out... we need the money (we don't, we have other sources), he doesn't fit in the team (he's our best player, he fits wherever you want him to), whatever you want to try tell yourself... but this is absolutely indefensible.

I think 8m rising to 10m is about right.  

We may value Hughes higher and the potential is of course there but since his injury I don't really recall him having a massive influence on a game.  Maybe a change of scenery and playing with better players will do Hughes good.

To get 15m+ he really needed to have a stellar season or impressive Euro's neither of which he's had/having tbh

On the face of it, selling Will Hughes for the same amount we paid for Matej Vydra absolutely stinks. Regardless of add-on fees. I sincerely hope there's a significant sell-on clause tucked in there somewhere, and some decent players coming in to fill the massive void his departure will create.

An excellent servant with the club in his heart. We were lucky to have him. All the best, Will. 

Hughes is without a doubt a talent but has stagnated for me and was very poor last season.

He needs to take his game to the next level now, he is no longer a kid and needs to start showing it on a consistent basis. I look at players from other nations who are in a 'similar mould' and age as Hughes like Dahoud from Germany and Saul Niguez from Spain and he is light years away from them when he should be in the same conversation as them sort of players with how early he broke into the team. We are going to play 4-2-3-1 next season and as stated before, I can't see where he would fit into that formation. 

Watford are a good club to go to and Silva will help him to develop a lot.

He flatters to deceive, doesn't offer enough in terms of assists and goals for an attacking midfielder. For 10 million, it's about right and I trust Rowetts to reinvest. I imagine an attacking midfielder will be top of his wish list now we've secured two great deals for the back four. 

He warned fans that there are a few who had been here a little too long, after the last few season I'm looking forward to the changes.

Archived