Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

Just for the record - if Hughes goes - then i hope he rips the premiership a new arse'ole, then gets a move to Barcelona and rips the La Liga a new arse'ole and becomes the player I think he is capable of becoming. 

Because I like the lad a lot and he's a ram.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fee is right, he hasn't progressed and still struggles to influence games. He's had so many games where he is bypassed, outworked and out muscled. Poor shooting, not as many assists as you'd expect. I think the Championship isn't really suited to his game, in the Prem in a strong side I think he'll flourish. I don't see him getting any better here in a team that's entering in to war to get promoted. It's the harsh truth. The fact he has better stats for tackling more than anything tells you where his game has gone here.

2 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

If Hughes goes to Watford for £8m it will stand as a symbol of the failures of this club over the last couple of seasons.

Having a jewel like Hughes come up from the academy is what fans dream of. Somehow we've managed to piss it up and throw it away.

And not just that, if Rowett genuinely doesn't see a place for a Hughes-type player in his team, what are the likes of Elsnick and Vernam (and any other creative midfielders) going to be thinking?

3 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

If Hughes goes to Watford for £8m it will stand as a symbol of the failures of this club over the last couple of seasons.

Having a jewel like Hughes come up from the academy is what fans dream of. Somehow we've managed to piss it up and throw it away.

As we have with the team he played in. 

Hughes hasn't done enough for the last 3 years now for me. Sure, he's a fantastic player with a lot of potential, but he's not been living up to that potential. Hendrick performed well on a national stage last summer which was always going to inflate his price. £8million with potential to go over £10million with the add ons is a fair price. I'd like to see that money invested back into the squad though.

I don't think an initial £8m is too bad depending on what clauses would be included in the deal. Supposedly the deal will rise to above £10m, which is ok, and hopefully we will have a sell on clause so that, if Hughes does impress and get a big move, we will get a decent chunk. I trust that we know what we're doing and aren't getting ripped off.

Really happy that he's going to a class manager in Marco Silva, though. Don't think there's a better manager out there when looking at the lower teams in the Premier League than Silva, apart from Rafa Benitez, and I can see him going on to big things one day. Hope he can get the best out of Hughes.

36 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Sale is needed to bring in signings. It's 5m too cheap but last season really held him back. Also, it's our joint highest earners wages off the bill also. 

Is Will Hughes our joint highest wage earner? I am surprise if that is the case

Stop fecking moaning it's Mel's money not yours... there'll be add-ons and a chunky sell on % i'm sure.

The fact is Hughes has stagnated over the last couple of years due to injury and chopping and changing of managers - it's clear his stock isn't as high as it was otherwise it wouldn't be Watford (ffs) that he's off to!

Don't understand the utter outrage at this at all. He's very good and has huge potential, but for the last season or two you'd be deluded to say he has been are best player, certainly not head on shoulders above our other centre mids. 8 rising to 10 million for a midfielder who barely ever scores and has had a bad season isn't terrible. Plus presumably there will be a sell on clause. 

Just now, kingsy1884 said:

I hope that this is a load of rubbish. But something tells me it's not. 

'Close' to agreeing is the key word it's not a done deal yet :unsure:

I hope it's bs but things happens though. :unsure::(

4 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Stop fecking moaning it's Mel's money not yours... there'll be add-ons and a chunky sell on % i'm sure.

I hate this argument.

It was Mel's money when he spent enough to consolidate mid-table in the Prem let alone promotion and we got it so wrong that we went the other way.

As I've said before, I've got no problems with him going, as I think he needs to make the step up, play with better players, and I don't think he's 100% in GR's plans.  The problem I've got is him going for £8m!!!  If Hendrick is worth £10m, Hughes is worth the same, at least.  

If Watford nick him for that price, my faith in Mr Morris will be sorely tested...

1 minute ago, tomsdubs said:

For this fee and Will's wages we could probably bring 2-3 players in, I imagine that's the way Rowett is evaluating it. Especially for a player that hasn't performed for a long time.

But we've already got a squad overflowing with bang average players. Selling one of our best players to buy a load more average players is not the way to improve the squad.

Archived