Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

Just now, tomsdubs said:

For this fee and Will's wages we could probably bring 2-3 players in, I imagine that's the way Rowett is evaluating it. Especially for a player that hasn't performed for a long time.

Think Rowett did say expect 2/3 signings?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

If Hughes goes to Watford for £8m it will stand as a symbol of the failures of this club over the last couple of seasons.

Having a jewel like Hughes come up from the academy is what fans dream of. Somehow we've managed to piss it up and throw it away.

Absolutely bang on. 

GR has now created a whole lot more pressure on himself. 

Get rid of any players apart from Hughes and ince

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

But we've already got a squad overflowing with bang average players. Selling one of our best players to buy a load more average players is not the way to improve the squad.

One of our best players? Hmm not lately. Hendrick was streets ahead as we've now realised since he left. Hughes has had little impact in the squad either through his absence or when available. Can't say we've missed him when he doesn't play.

36 minutes ago, Srg said:

So do you sell your stocks while the market has crashed?

You can try all you want to justify this out... we need the money (we don't, we have other sources), he doesn't fit in the team (he's our best player, he fits wherever you want him to), whatever you want to try tell yourself... but this is absolutely indefensible.

Depends how desperately you need the money.. 

If we want to sign players, we do. You saw it last summer with Hendrick. We pushed the FFP barrier in 15/16 and now we face the consequences 

We're holding him back. Good luck to him in the prem if it's all true. Higher quality football & players could see him flourish. The fee may be low but looking at his recent injuries & goals & assists I'm not surprised. Tackling has improved though! 

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Depends how desperately you need the money.. 

If we want to sign players, we do. You saw it last summer with Hendrick. We pushed the FFP barrier in 15/16 and now we face the consequences 

Or you're completely guessing.

I am not against him moving on in fact I have been expecting it this summer but I have the nagging feeling that we should be letting him go on loan and benifit from him when we go up or he does well, I hope we have a significant sell on fee when Arsenal come in for him in a year or two. We must need the money to be able to manoeuvre with FFP 

meanwhile Vydra - this is your time to prove your worth this season - you are due.

1 minute ago, Charlie G said:

Get rid of any players apart from Hughes and ince

Ince could not even wipe his A** in the talent stakes. This is one of the saddest days of my 55+ years, watching Derby. I always dreamt that an academy player such as Wills could play for DCFC and England. Sadly this has now totally disillusioned me in GR too.   

A bad day for DCFC.

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I look at players from other nations who are in a 'similar mould' and age as Hughes like Dahoud from Germany and Saul Niguez from Spain and he is light years away from them when he should be in the same conversation as them sort of players with how early he broke into the team.

Agreed. He's a good player, yes, but you can't be mentioning Will in the same sentence as Saul Niguez. Saul is a capped senior Spanish international, playing in top flight of Spanish football, in a team that's reached 2 Champions League finals in the last 4 years. He also played and scored in the Champions League semi-finals. Meanwhile, Hughes is an uncapped Englishman that couldn't really break in to Rowett's Championship Derby County side. 

It's a similar story with Dahoud, albeit not such a stark comparison. When you consider that Dahoud was transferred this summer for €12m though, £8m for Hughes (with add ons!) doesn't seem like a terrible deal. 

I disagree with the suggestion that he should be in the same conversation as them though, frankly he's not even close to being as good as them. 

9 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

For this fee and Will's wages we could probably bring 2-3 players in, I imagine that's the way Rowett is evaluating it. Especially for a player that hasn't performed for a long time.

8M gets you at best one top drawer championship player these days. Dress it up however you want selling him for such a low fee is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

If we had countless amounts of cash, why on earth would we sell Hendrick and Hughes in the first place? Neither have hardly kicked up a fuss. 

Look at the FFP rules. We spent near on £30m that summer. There's a limit and we're on it. 

Made sense to get rid of Hendrick at the time, we were selling high. This, we aren't. They have told us repeatedly we're perfectly fine within FFP. So unless you have some grand insight into the books, you're assuming.

9 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Don't understand the utter outrage at this at all. He's very good and has huge potential, but for the last season or two you'd be deluded to say he has been are best player, certainly not head on shoulders above our other centre mids. 8 rising to 10 million for a midfielder who barely ever scores and has had a bad season isn't terrible. Plus presumably there will be a sell on clause. 

I agree! £10m is a tidy amount and if we can bring in 2/3 players with the money it will have been worth it.I keep seeing posts saying get rid if this and that player but you have to find a willing buyer!! Our crap recruitment over the last few seasons means that isn't easy hence the sale  of Hughes and,probably,Ince.Rowett is putting his stamp on the squad and we need to believe in what he's trying to achieve.

20 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Would be gutted to see our best player leave but it is right for him to move on and better himself.. Having said that, why Watford ffs. I get premier league but poxy Watford.. 

Really poxy. It's kind of a step up I suppose, kind of?! Still time for Everton to swoop in and hijack - much better fit.

£8m feels like a bit of an insult, and it will to Rams fans.. but, look at it logically.

Will's coming off the back of a pretty poor last season, and a near season out with injury the season before. 9 goals in 150+ appearances is, objectively, poor for a midfielder. 

I see a lot of people comparing this to Hendrick, but the situations are polar opposites. Hendrick was off the back of a decent season, Euro senior appearances. 

He'll always be worth a lot more to Derby fans than actual market worth. The sentimentality is probably worth about £5m..

You never know, he might turn his back on it, if he feels he won't get game time, I don't think he'll go. He's said that much himself.

Far below his worth. But he doesn't score goals, what can we do? You don't make money on attacking midfielders who don't score. Can't keep him much longer. Always said we need to respect his choice when he wants to leave and if we hold out on the fee, it sours his relationship with the club. Then you've got an unhappy player who doesn't want to be there depreciating in value.

That ACL knocked about £3m off his price unfortunately.

I don't like it, but I have to accept it. Watford are getting a bargain but nobody but us realise it. He just doesn't get the kudos he deserves outside of Derby. We've got to sell if he wants to leave, he's done plenty for us and I hope to see him do well.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

£8m feels like a bit of an insult, and it will to Rams fans.. but, look at it logically.

Will's coming off the back of a pretty poor last season, and a near season out with injury the season before. 9 goals in 150+ appearances is, objectively, poor for a midfielder. 

I see a lot of people comparing this to Hendrick, but the situations are polar opposites. Hendrick was off the back of a decent season, Euro senior appearances. 

And that's why it's absolutely crazy to sell him now... 

2 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

I agree! £10m is a tidy amount and if we can bring in 2/3 players with the money it will have been worth it.I keep seeing posts saying get rid if this and that player but you have to find a willing buyer!! Our crap recruitment over the last few seasons means that isn't easy hence the sale  of Hughes and,probably,Ince.Rowett is putting his stamp on the squad and we need to believe in what he's trying to achieve.

Why should we believe? What has Rowett  done to derserve blind faith in him ?

People were saying the same thing about Pearson and look where that got us. 

Archived