Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Srg said:

Made sense to get rid of Hendrick at the time, we were selling high. This, we aren't. They have told us repeatedly we're perfectly fine within FFP. So unless you have some grand insight into the books, you're assuming.

We're fine in terms of passing, because of the way the deals are structured. 13m per season is allowed. We have structured our dealings over the last 3 seasons that means the fees are proportionally depreciated over multiple years to allow us to pass. We're already into our allocated losses for this season because of this. 

I don't know how close we are, but looking at our books for the 15/16 season released this year, and the way in which we conducted our transfer dealings last summer, I would assume we are close to the threshold. 

Rowett has gone on record many a time that we must sell before we buy, barring the first few signings. He said as much on talk sport this morning. 

Just now, Tombo said:

We've got to sell if he wants to leave, he's done plenty for us and I hope to see him do well.

We don't know if he wants to leave, but the fact he signed a new contract recently suggests he was happy to stay at that point. The only thing that's changed is we've appointed a manager who seems more interested in lumping the ball forward than actually playing football.  So basically, we're forcing him out of the club at the point where his value is at the lowest point it's been in years.  Wonderful.

On his day the lad is superb and every bit a 15m+ player. However doesn't score enough goals and doesn't turn up enough in the big games.  True he missed most of last season, but 10m would be a fair price.

Remember we have George Thorne returning!

3 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

So we've basically swapped Hughes for Vydra, awful decision. 

Actually he is twice an Anya ( Vydra could still be decent value if he does what he can) 

3 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We don't know if he wants to leave, but the fact he signed a new contract recently suggests he was happy to stay at that point. The only thing that's changed is we've appointed a manager who seems more interested in lumping the ball forward than actually playing football.  So basically, we're forcing him out of the club at the point where his value is at the lowest point it's been in years.  Wonderful.

We don't know what is in the contract though, but hasn't forced his way into the team ( I also don't think we will be just lumping the ball forward) and yes I am disappointed to be losing him

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

What a ridiculous assumption. 

I really do not think we'd be selling him for such a low price if we were in control of this situation. He signed a new contract because it helps us get the best fee for him. Imagine how low the fee would be if he didn't sign that deal.

I think this throws up a plethora of questions. Firstly, why has the club under the pretences of the Derby Way sold it's two home grown jewels in the last two years to fuel a transfer policy dictated by managers who last only months. This is a damning indictment on the short termism of this club. In my opinion we have not shot ourselves in the foot, but the head. With such short term attitudes how can we expect to see another Hughes when there is so much unrealistic expectation upon every manager.

Secondly, does this not undermine the legitimacy of FFP in regards to competitivity. In a time where relegated clubs gain infitely more revenue than existing championship clubs how can there be a break upon the monopoly of such clubs coming down. The advantage they have in revenue to offset FFP means they have to be run like Villa in order to not challenge. It's a rigged race, and it's not getting fairer. FFP had lofty aims, it has ultimately acted as a huge barrier to entry. If a club is run well, when what right do a league have to reduce its potential spending power when compared to these quickly assembled behemoths. If Hughes is to be sold in order to placate FFP requirements then shame on those who created them as it is a petard to competition.

Lastly I'll just miss his elegance, his wit and imagination. What a shame it has come to this. We should have been his Watford.

11 minutes ago, GadFly said:

Agreed. He's a good player, yes, but you can't be mentioning Will in the same sentence as Saul Niguez. Saul is a capped senior Spanish international, playing in top flight of Spanish football, in a team that's reached 2 Champions League finals in the last 4 years. He also played and scored in the Champions League semi-finals. Meanwhile, Hughes is an uncapped Englishman that couldn't really break in to Rowett's Championship Derby County side. 

It's a similar story with Dahoud, albeit not such a stark comparison. When you consider that Dahoud was transferred this summer for €12m though, £8m for Hughes (with add ons!) doesn't seem like a terrible deal. 

I disagree with the suggestion that he should be in the same conversation as them though, frankly he's not even close to being as good as them. 

Agree mate he is nowhere near them guys  but when he broke onto the scene he was supposedly 'linked' with the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd but now he has stagnated. Just trying to bring some sense to those who think Hughes is the be all and all when I don't think he would get any better here. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Made sense to get rid of Hendrick at the time, we were selling high. This, we aren't. They have told us repeatedly we're perfectly fine within FFP. So unless you have some grand insight into the books, you're assuming.

Are you being serious? Do you know how FFP works? It's based off the previous years books. We haven't announced the books for the season we spent in excess of £25m on players. We will be close to the FFP limit this year. 

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

What a ridiculous assumption. 

I really do not think we'd be selling him for such a low price if we were in control of this situation. He signed a new contract because it helps us get the best fee for him. Imagine how low the fee would be if he didn't sign that deal.

What do you expect, Rowett is the new target, here's the words to his chant...

Boooooooo ?

2 minutes ago, K-Ram said:

I think this throws up a plethora of questions. Firstly, why has the club under the pretences of the Derby Way sold it's two home grown jewels in the last two years to fuel a transfer policy dictated by managers who last only months. This is a damning indictment on the short termism of this club.

Lastly I'll just miss his elegance, his wit and imagination. What a shame it has come to this. We should have been his Watford.

Grim.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Are you being serious? Do you know how FFP works? It's based off the previous years books. We haven't announced the books for the season we spent in excess of £25m on players. We will be close to the FFP limit this year. 

Insurance on players paid for a lot of this.

You're on fire with the condescension today.

Hughes is brilliant but there's a reason it's Watford who are set to sign him and not a top 6 club. 

Will has been a big part of this club for the best part of 6 years now and it will be gut wrenching to see him playing else where, but take away the emotional attachment to a player and the deal makes sense, for me at least. 

Just now, Srg said:

Insurance on players paid for a lot of this.

You're on fire with the condescension today.

It is my speciality. But Insurance didn't pay for Johnson, Ince & Butterfield all in one transfer window. We will be close but confident we won't hit the limit.

Archived