Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Vydra actually managed something Martin hasn't done thus far and that's fire a side to the Premiership, that's enough for me thanks buddy.

Under Rowett we finally don't have to rely on building the eleven around Chris Martin; we are no longer one dimensional with a strict 433 or it's game over and guess what? It finally works. The same as it works without boy wonder Hughes, without Ince tearin you apart and without haggis Craig "5 year deal Bryson" at the club, who'd have thought it eh?

Too bit: Great, hopefully he does the same for us. Literally no relation to the argument in question mind. 

Bottom bit: Haven’t seen anyone disagree with any of those points. There’s plenty of different approaches in football that work and thankfully we’ve found another that’s going in our favour so far. 

The only issue that I really have is the fabricated stuff people like to throw out there or simplistic stats that don’t prove a thing. 

I must have posted this about a thousand times over the years yet here we are again. There’s plenty of decent points to debate and plenty that aren’t in the favour of CM (despite me being a ‘Martinite’) considering how well things are going with Nuge, Vydra and Winall. I just wish we’d cut the crap, there’s not really any need. 

23 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Vydra actually managed something Martin hasn't done thus far and that's fire a side to the Premiership, that's enough for me thanks buddy.

Under Rowett we finally don't have to rely on building the eleven around Chris Martin; we are no longer one dimensional with a strict 433 or it's game over and guess what? It finally works. The same as it works without boy wonder Hughes, without Ince tearin you apart and without haggis Craig "5 year deal Bryson" at the club, who'd have thought it eh?

Every team has a reliance on key players, let’s not forget that until Ledley was signed, we were in danger of being completely adrift off from the top.  Who knows where we would be had he not been on the market, add to that that we are reliant on our current formation and have not performed well against certain teams when we have had to put players into positions they are not familiar with ie Johnson.

Hopefully GR continues to keep us in the top 2, but we have been here before at this time of the year, so far he has done nothing that previous managers haven’t. 

14 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Every team has a reliance on key players, let’s not forget that until Ledley was signed, we were in danger of being completely adrift off from the top.  Who knows where we would be had he not been on the market, add to that that we are reliant on our current formation and have not performed well against certain teams when we have had to put players into positions they are not familiar with ie Johnson.

Hopefully GR continues to keep us in the top 2, but we have been here before at this time of the year, so far he has done nothing that previous managers haven’t. 

Adam. You are right GR has not done anything that previous managers have not done .But you forget to note that most matches he's having to pick a team with at the least seven players who are not his signings 

Just now, Mistaram said:

Adam. You are right GR has not done anything that previous managers have not done .But you forget to note that most matches he's having to pick a team with at the least seven players who are not his signings 

Don’t most managers? Also, Wisom, Davies, Hudds, Ledley, Lawrence, Wiinall - 6 there that are his players, he has an influence on this team.  This isn’t a GR bashing post though, just that most managers find a formation that suits them and certain players are key to that.

2 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

Funny how 2 people can interpret the same thing very differently

If he was doing then he deserved to be bombed out - whatever the rights or wrong you cant dictate to your manager. If this is true then he left Pearson no choice -First example of bad attitude.

More fool him - if it was all so good at Fulham then he should have stayed. He didnt have to throw it all away & behave as he did. Another example of poor attitude & behaviour.

Couldn’t disagree more - he has brought all this on himself & if he is choosing to behave like this now it’s just another example of what has got him into this situation in the first place.

Ultimately which ever way you look at it he needs to move on & we need to move him on if this is how he behaving. He had a good couple of years but the world moves on - we don’t need him anymore & he doesn’t need us. He’s done very well & earned a lot of money out of Derby - we don’t owe him anything, this is professional football. He should now respect that & behave accordingly as he manages his exit from the club. 

I think if a player feels they are being used incorrectly they have a right to tell the manager this. I don’t know for sure if he was disruptive obviously but I felt at the time that Pearson was clearly trying to remove the big personalities from the dressing room in exchange for ‘yes men.’

In hindsight I’m sure he wishes he’d stayed at Fulham but he was sold a situation at Derby that would be very very hard to resist for anybody.

I think the fact he’s earned a lot of money out of Derby isn’t particularly relevant. We pay him what we pay him to play football, not to be shoddily treated. 

34 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

I think that the majority of managers have players in their team that they didn't sign......who comes into a team and has a brand new squad of their choice installed for the first game!

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Wasn't Martin firing us to the premiership in 14/15 until he got injured and we completely fell apart? Highly doubt Watford would have reached the prem had Deeney been out for as long as Martin was, and at such a crunch period.

Bit hypocritical of you using his Vydra's past to deride Martin's when by your own words - 

We arent in 2013-15? So how is that relevent today in 2018?

I'm curious as to why people like you find it so difficult to appreciate a striker who has done great things for us. Sure he's not as important now as he was a couple of years ago, but he's been one of the best strikers we've had in a good number of years. We were crying out for a proper striker since Stevie Howard left us in that promotion season and when we finally get one, a large number of our fanbase chastise him for what he's done.

You can ride the Vydra hype train all you like, by all means do so. But getting behind Vydra doesn't also mean its compulsory to slag off Martin at every opportunity like a good number of deluded posters on this forum do. I honestly question whether some of you genuinely think some of the strange things you say, or whether you're just saying it to be controversial attention-seekers. 

Personally I'd keep Chrissy until the end of the season if he wanted to stay but as a pro in his late 20s, if he wants games then I think we owe it to him to let him go. He's simply far too good to waste away on the bench and doesn't really fit our system as much as he used to. What I'm worried about is him signing for a team that plays a style that suits him, because we as Derby fans know what he can do with a team built around him.

I’m puzzled as to the debate now has Martin wishing he had stayed at Fulham ,,,, it is far far from certain that Fulham wanted to keep him in fact the rumour was that Fulham were not forthcoming in terms of working out a permanent deal for/with him to stay and I’m sure that would have played a big part in him snapping our hand off for a new improved contract? 

I have made it clear as I can that I like Martin and think in the right team he is decent and also that some unfairly dismiss the service he has given to derby ( paid for I know) but here’s the rub ,,, it’s time to let him go if we get a decent offer as it’s crazy to have your fourth choice striker on the kind of wages Chris must be on , it’s clear that he is far from what rowett is looking for from a striker and  will struggle to get near the first team so he is far too senior a player in terms of stature and wages to keep if not being used , harsh as that seems to some it’s football and rowett will live and die by results and success so has to do it his way

3 hours ago, archied said:

,,, it’s time to let him go if we get a decent offer as it’s crazy to have your fourth choice striker on the kind of wages Chris must be on , it’s clear that he is far from what rowett is looking for from a striker and  will struggle to get near the first team so he is far too senior a player in terms of stature and wages to keep if not being used , harsh as that seems to some it’s football and rowett will live and die by results and success so has to do it his way

This is of course true based on the type of football Rowett prefers. But why would Chris Martin sign for any other team if it wasn't a better or as good as deal as he's getting now? He can wait for a deal in summer (better for his family too probably), maybe get some bits of games if anyone is injured (like all the other strikers) plus get a promotion bonus?!

On 1/12/2018 at 00:06, CornwallRam said:

No recalls outside the transfer window for senior players. Recalls in the January window are allowed subject to the terms of the original contract.  The only possible exception might be if we loaned out a goalkeeper to another club in an emergency (ie they had no available professional keepers).  It's possible that we could then recall him if our own keeping situation became desperate.

Excellent post CornwallRam

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is of course true based on the type of football Rowett prefers. But why would Chris Martin sign for any other team if it wasn't a better or as good as deal as he's getting now? He can wait for a deal in summer (better for his family too probably), maybe get some bits of games if anyone is injured (like all the other strikers) plus get a promotion bonus?!

My guess Roy, is that there would be a lot of haggling from all parties. So CM goes elswhere for less money but to get regular football. As a part of that he gets a severance package from Derby who use part of the fee to cover that. ? 

As it happens I wouldn't mind if he stuck around a bit as he has something to offer the team. ( unless we get a snatch your hand off offer )

He has clearly been very professional in recent weeks. He isn't first choice any more, that's life; Time, styles and suitability change, but he is still a useful asset and I think you're right, he might want to hang around and prove a point given the chance. 

26 minutes ago, jono said:

My guess Roy, is that there would be a lot of haggling from all parties. So CM goes elswhere for less money but to get regular football. As a part of that he gets a severance package from Derby who use part of the fee to cover that. ? 

As it happens I wouldn't mind if he stuck around a bit as he has something to offer the team. ( unless we get a snatch your hand off offer )

He has clearly been very professional in recent weeks. He isn't first choice any more, that's life; Time, styles and suitability change, but he is still a useful asset and I think you're right, he might want to hang around and prove a point given the chance. 

Two years left on his contract it would cost a lot to get rid My guess he will sit it out can't see anybody paying what he's getting now You can't blame him just the mug who gave him the contract 

Watched him after he came on today - and you see it in the highlights too - right after he releases the ball, he just stands, plants himself and doesn’t move an inch. Then acts like the world ended cuz we didn’t score. Kinda shocking.

Chris, you aren’t going to cut it in this work-like-maniacs side by voluntarily being totally static. Pass and move man, pass and move!

11 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Watched him after he came on today - and you see it in the highlights too - right after he releases the ball, he just stands, plants himself and doesn’t move an inch. Then acts like the world ended cuz we didn’t score. Kinda shocking.

Chris, you aren’t going to cut it in this work-like-maniacs side by voluntarily being totally static. Pass and move man, pass and move!

I was watching the one where he played Nugent in, who passed for Wiemann to score the 3rd.

Lazy bugger just stood there celebrating, pfft!

P.S. not sure why this in transfer talk, btw.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I was watching the one where he played Nugent in, who passed for Wiemann to score the 3rd.

Lazy bugger just stood there celebrating, pfft!

9 lions and 1 hippo may be effective diversity to you ... I’d prefer 10 lions out there

Archived