Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17 minutes ago, DRBee said:

So you forget about the games when he has been brought on as sub and improved a poor performance of the team. Martin had two excellent games and then was dropped against Reading, which we then lost. Since then he hasn't had a real chance.

The reality is that Rowett is comparing players with vast amounts of game time with a player who has had few chances and very little game time. Not surprising that Martin has scored fewer goals. The outcome is determined solely by Rowett's choices ( which as a manager he is clearly entitled to make ). if he thinks a player doesn't fit and so gives him little game time then his goal output will be small.How could Martin compete with Vydra and Nugent on that basis. Winnall has scored more goals but I am unsure about the rest of his play -the verdict is still out until we have seen him start in far more games.

What is harder to take than Rowetts choices is the attitude of some slimeballs on here. Looking at what Martin has done for the club ( and he didn't ask to be out on transfer last season) how are the insults justified e.g. calling him a 'pig'?

It would be best for him to be transferred but if Nugent were to be injured we would be in difficulty without a replacement.

Give it up! He’s played a lot of minutes until recently. Contrast his minutes per goal to Nugent or even Winnall. Difference must be staggering. On top of all his other major weaknesses - he now can’t score goals - and he isn’t taking penalties so his stats aren’t padded with those goals either. Rowett is bang on with his assessment and his decision - and is being very nice by saying hes contributed, has remained positive, and he can stay if he wants. But at this point he’s just a glorified cheerleader. If he has any sense of belief in his own game, he will go, for as the manager says he can affect games at the championship level.

9 minutes ago, Topram said:

Didn't know where to put this.. last night Derby put on snapchat "announcement 6PM tomorrow" then today had a guy singing a Coldplay song with the a reminded of 6pm tonight! 

ANnouncememt is probably the winner for those Bristol City tickets that geezas been selling on insta

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Seems to me that he is not being pushed, but the comments underline what has been apparent for some while - he is Rowett’s 4th choice striker. I can’t accurately recall the comment, and I don’t want to click on the DET link again, but he used the word quite, as in has done quite well when played. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Taxi!

Indeed. Though will say it again, I hope they've learned from the midfield mistakes in the last transfer window and only let him go if you've got a cast iron replacement and don't wait til 11.59pm for the to sign. We will need four strikers for a promotion push.

Just now, rynny said:

I can't see Martin agreeing to a loan move. In his interviews upon his return he said how he missed his family, and another loan will mean another 4 months away from them.

I wouldn't want to loan him, only selling him could bring us a valuable replacement.

Chris Martin was a brilliant player for us for a few years but he hasn't been anywhere near delivering for the last two years or so. There's a reason Pearson had him out the door so quickly. There's a reason he couldn't nail down a starting place at Fulham before all the controversy and there's a reason he can't get a run now. He's been a great servant who had a few great seasons but it's time to stop living on the past. It's time for him to go, our fourth choice striker should ideally be a youngster with potential not someone on the downside of their career. Not trying to knock him, he was brilliant for a few years and he's earned a place in Rams affection but it's over, time to move on.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

I can't see Martin agreeing to a loan move. In his interviews upon his return he said how he missed his family, and another loan will mean another 4 months away from them.

Perhaps his family are agitating for the move...."dad's so sulky because he's not scoring goals"..."I just want Chrisy to bother someone else all week about how he needs to be used in conjunction with advanced midfielders, I wouldn't mind so much if e'd pick his pants up and put them in the washing basket"

4 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Chris Martin was a brilliant player for us for a few years but he hasn't been anywhere near delivering for the last two years or so. There's a reason Pearson had him out the door so quickly. There's a reason he couldn't nail down a starting place at Fulham before all the controversy and there's a reason he can't get a run now. He's been a great servant who had a few great seasons but it's time to stop living on the past. It's time for him to go, our fourth choice striker should ideally be a youngster with potential not someone on the downside of their career. Not trying to knock him, he was brilliant for a few years and he's earned a place in Rams affection but it's over, time to move on.

Think you might want to check your facts, Martin didn't start in only 1 game from 1st October until the end of the year, the game against us because he was not allowed to play.

Hmmmm,loaning back to potential competitors who will use his skills to good effect doesn't seem the brightest move bit then neither was brysons loan to Cardiff so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd prefer to see a player of Martin's talent flourishing elsewhere rather than languishing in the bench of our team however.

What is worrying though is if Nugent picks up an injury which is very likely for a player of his age being expected to play in the rowett style week in week out.I really not sure where we would source another experienced quality striker that's been willing to sit on the bench as Martin has,out of nowhere.As we have seen before,that's the kind of scenario that can ruin your promotion prospects.

Hopefully GR sees sense and doesn't go believing his own hype too early in the season leaving us at a disadvantage.

Time will tell.

21 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hmmmm,loaning back to potential competitors who will use his skills to good effect doesn't seem the brightest move bit then neither was brysons loan to Cardiff so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd prefer to see a player of Martin's talent flourishing elsewhere rather than languishing in the bench of our team however.

What is worrying though is if Nugent picks up an injury which is very likely for a player of his age being expected to play in the rowett style week in week out.I really not sure where we would source another experienced quality striker that's been willing to sit on the bench as Martin has,out of nowhere.As we have seen before,that's the kind of scenario that can ruin your promotion prospects.

Hopefully GR sees sense and doesn't go believing his own hype too early in the season leaving us at a disadvantage.

Time will tell.

Maybe we could chip in and sign him for a 5 a side team?

I've got some spare cash to chip in, and don't mind managing the team.

Friday night league would be best so we could go on the piss after.

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I feel like there would end up being a lot of draw-ers

(this is my first and last time getting involved in puns)

With that first effort Your not going to make it as one of the pun masters ,,, destined to be one of the hangers on 

1 hour ago, Reithe glas said:

Hear hear  now put your tin hat on ?

Archived