Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, cannable said:

Well to be fair mate I spent X number of years watching those players and what they were good at and some bloke comes in, asks them to do the opposite of what they’re good at and we found ourselves 22nd with a piss-poor Blackburn side scoring a 24 pass team goal against us...

Brilliant !

7 hours ago, DRBee said:

So you forget about the games when he has been brought on as sub and improved a poor performance of the team. Martin had two excellent games and then was dropped against Reading, which we then lost. Since then he hasn't had a real chance.

The reality is that Rowett is comparing players with vast amounts of game time with a player who has had few chances and very little game time. Not surprising that Martin has scored fewer goals. The outcome is determined solely by Rowett's choices ( which as a manager he is clearly entitled to make ). if he thinks a player doesn't fit and so gives him little game time then his goal output will be small.How could Martin compete with Vydra and Nugent on that basis. Winnall has scored more goals but I am unsure about the rest of his play -the verdict is still out until we have seen him start in far more games.

What is harder to take than Rowetts choices is the attitude of some slimeballs on here. Looking at what Martin has done for the club ( and he didn't ask to be out on transfer last season) how are the insults justified e.g. calling him a 'pig'?

It would be best for him to be transferred but if Nugent were to be injured we would be in difficulty without a replacement.

DRbee  Iif you take the trouble to look you will note the Reading match you like to gloat about We've taken 24 points from 10 games without CM starting do you really think the manager is going to change things We all agree Martin is a good player he's just got bide his time his chance will come  That's why we have a squad 

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

What exactly are you basing this on? The guy has barely played for us in the last 12 months. 

You've taken one line and it's a bit out of context. He's not brilliant because teams know how to stop him. He doesn't get away with his "lack of mobility" any more where he did before. I'm basing that on any time I've seen him play after McClaren's golden period, even before he went to Fulham. I think the championship has improved in the last few years and the idea of a hold up target man is becoming redundant.

FFS,

Martin is currently a round peg that cannot fit into a square hole.

one dimensional type of striker that scored a lot of goals for us playing in a certain system many seasons ago.

The guy has been declining for seasons, ask yourselves how many goals has he scored this seasons? 

The trouble he is on big bucks and we have to find a club daft enough to pay the same or more than we are!

9 hours ago, Mistaram said:

DRbee  Iif you take the trouble to look you will note the Reading match you like to gloat about We've taken 24 points from 10 games without CM starting do you really think the manager is going to change things We all agree Martin is a good player he's just got bide his time his chance will come  That's why we have a squad 

Think you need to have another look at the facts you are stating. I assume you don't include the Barnsley and Burton matches?

1 hour ago, toddy said:

FFS,

Martin is currently a round peg that cannot fit into a square hole.

one dimensional type of striker that scored a lot of goals for us playing in a certain system many seasons ago.

The guy has been declining for seasons, ask yourselves how many goals has he scored this seasons? 

The trouble he is on big bucks and we have to find a club daft enough to pay the same or more than we are!

I hate the ‘in decline’ argument. It’s circumstance more than anything.

He personally isn’t; he hasn’t lost his touch or creativity. 

I’d still expect Danny Sturbridge to bang in twenty if he signed for a team who played him and whose system suited him

27 minutes ago, rynny said:

Think you need to have another look at the facts you are stating. I assume you don't include the Barnsley and Burton matches?

I’ve had enough of you and your facts Rynny. This is not the first occasion you’ve piped up with unfabricated comments and it’s ruining the script...

I think with Martin, he has a tight to be thoroughly pissed off at how he’s been treated by Derby over the last 18 months. 

He was first bombed out by Mr. Insecure who didn’t want people telling him what he was doing was absolutely ridiculous.

He was then in a side that probably played the best football in the division since us under Mac1, he was scoring goals and they had a chance at promotion. He was convinced by somebody (who may or may not still be at the club) to throw all that away to come back under Mac2, who we proceeded to sack before he’d actually had a chance to come back.

He now finds himself in limbo where if he’d played his cards right he might well be a first choice striker in the Premier League at Fulham, but is actually 4th choice striker at Championship Derby. 

I think he has the right to sulk and want moves away (I’m not saying he is doing either actively) but at the same time Rowett has earned the right to manage the team how he sees fit. It is a fact that Martin has been less productive than our other strikers this season, so I don’t really ‘get’ people criticising Rowett over this. He doesn’t fancy him and that’s fine, but Martin has been horrible mistreated and misused by people higher up than Rowett, who may or may not still be at the club.

I was angry when we loaned him out the first time. Pearson hadn’t earned the right to do that. Rowett has, and Martin, if he leaves, will flourish elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I think with Martin, he has a tight to be thoroughly pissed off at how he’s been treated by Derby over the last 18 months. 

He was first bombed out by Mr. Insecure who didn’t want people telling him what he was doing was absolutely ridiculous.

He was then in a side that probably played the best football in the division since us under Mac1, he was scoring goals and they had a chance at promotion. He was convinced by somebody (who may or may not still be at the club) to throw all that away to come back under Mac2, who we proceeded to sack before he’d actually had a chance to come back.

He now finds himself in limbo where if he’d played his cards right he might well be a first choice striker in the Premier League at Fulham, but is actually 4th choice striker at Championship Derby. 

I think he has the right to sulk and want moves away (I’m not saying he is doing either actively) but at the same time Rowett has earned the right to manage the team how he sees fit. It is a fact that Martin has been less productive than our other strikers this season, so I don’t really ‘get’ people criticising Rowett over this. He doesn’t fancy him and that’s fine, but Martin has been horrible mistreated and misused by people higher up than Rowett, who may or may not still be at the club.

I was angry when we loaned him out the first time. Pearson hadn’t earned the right to do that. Rowett has, and Martin, if he leaves, will flourish elsewhere.

This.

It really puts all those winging nurses' problems into perspective.

11 hours ago, Mistaram said:

A patronising comment - you miss the point completely -of course I know what we have done since the Reading match I actually go to the matches unlike some who post on here. The point was simply that a wining team was changed and that the Reading performance was dire. I don't think Martin's time will come and that's because his style and attributes don't fit. It's all very well for Rowett to praise Martin's attitude but then say he ain't doing as well as others. It would be more honest for Rowett to say openly that Martin doesn't deliver what he (Rowett) wants. When you come on as a sub for the last 10 minutes and Vydra has already been substituted you don't get the same chance to make a contribution. Martin has not suddenly become a bad player but there are folks on here who spout views/facts that are just untrue. Someone  ( I can't be bothered to look it up) posted that Martin had done nothing for 2 seasons and that he was sidelined at Fulham  and yet there he had 27 league starts and scored 10 league goals. I hope Martin gets a move elsewhere for his sake.

Why is it gloating to say the Reading match was dire ????  Perhaps you don't like people to point out facts you don't like.

45 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Have any of us actually seen Martin sulk or be unprofessional in any way?

He may want to leave and play football but I do think he has been a respectful pro. (Similar to what Shackell and Anya have been)

No, in fact what I love about him recently, when he was benched vs Ipswich and Winnall bagged 2. When Winnall was being interviewed he was singing his name with Nuge as they walked past 

Funny how 2 people can interpret the same thing very differently

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

If he was doing then he deserved to be bombed out - whatever the rights or wrong you cant dictate to your manager. If this is true then he left Pearson no choice -First example of bad attitude.

More fool him - if it was all so good at Fulham then he should have stayed. He didnt have to throw it all away & behave as he did. Another example of poor attitude & behaviour.

I think he has the right to sulk and want moves away

Couldn’t disagree more - he has brought all this on himself & if he is choosing to behave like this now it’s just another example of what has got him into this situation in the first place.

Ultimately which ever way you look at it he needs to move on & we need to move him on if this is how he behaving. He had a good couple of years but the world moves on - we don’t need him anymore & he doesn’t need us. He’s done very well & earned a lot of money out of Derby - we don’t owe him anything, this is professional football. He should now respect that & behave accordingly as he manages his exit from the club. 

His game time has been limited as some say on here and in the time he's played he hasn't really shone for me but one thing that GR sees that we fans don't is how he performs in training day in day out and maybe that combined with our style means he'll be better used from the bench.

Although I'm sure hes not happy with limited game time  he really isn't showing it from the line as he seems very supportive of the strikers that are playing and maybe thats down to the atmosphere which has been created by GR

Archived