Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He was banned from every pub in Suffolk for being un-hinged.

Ohh I thought it was just because he was quite a tall boy

5 hours ago, DRBee said:

So you forget about the games when he has been brought on as sub and improved a poor performance of the team. Martin had two excellent games and then was dropped against Reading, which we then lost. Since then he hasn't had a real chance.

The reality is that Rowett is comparing players with vast amounts of game time with a player who has had few chances and very little game time. Not surprising that Martin has scored fewer goals. The outcome is determined solely by Rowett's choices ( which as a manager he is clearly entitled to make ). if he thinks a player doesn't fit and so gives him little game time then his goal output will be small.How could Martin compete with Vydra and Nugent on that basis. Winnall has scored more goals but I am unsure about the rest of his play -the verdict is still out until we have seen him start in far more games.

What is harder to take than Rowetts choices is the attitude of some slimeballs on here. Looking at what Martin has done for the club ( and he didn't ask to be out on transfer last season) how are the insults justified e.g. calling him a 'pig'?

It would be best for him to be transferred but if Nugent were to be injured we would be in difficulty without a replacement.

Absolutely. Our kayaking cousins would say "up shiste creek without a paddle". :mellow:

3 hours ago, rynny said:

Think you might want to check your facts, Martin didn't start in only 1 game from 1st October until the end of the year, the game against us because he was not allowed to play.

I stand corrected, cheers. I think the rest of my post stands up though

16 minutes ago, cannable said:

Playing Craig Bryson at holding midfield suggests otherwise 

What Pearson did here was the same as taking over Spurs, loaning Kane to Chelsea buying Sturridge for £80m and loaning Rashford to replace him. Putting Eriksen and Alli at DM and Dier right wing, then scratch his head at why we weren't scoring and in the bottom 3.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

What Pearson did here was the same as taking over Spurs, loaning Kane to Chelsea buying Sturridge for £80m and loaning Rashford to replace him. Putting Eriksen and Alli at DM and Dier right wing, then scratch his head at why we weren't scoring and in the bottom 3.

Pearson almost had my attention when he signed Vydra, finally we had a man to play alongside Martin.

Thankfully we signed Chris Weale which made thinks slightly better.

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Pearson almost had my attention when he signed Vydra, finally we had a man to play alongside Martin.

Thankfully we signed Chris Weale which made thinks slightly better.

Not very often I look back on the days of Bywater and Saul Deeney with fondness. The signing of Chris Weale brought me very close however 

25 minutes ago, cannable said:

Playing Craig Bryson at holding midfield suggests otherwise 

Give me a break. I know it's a forum and it's all about opinions, but at some point we have to acknowledge that people who manage and have managed at top level have expertise that we don't. Pearson and Rowett don't rate Martin. There's a reason for that. And also, Pearson's judgement was alright when he signed vydra.

1 minute ago, Reithe glas said:

Give me a break. I know it's a forum and it's all about opinions, but at some point we have to acknowledge that people who manage and have managed at top level have expertise that we don't. Pearson and Rowett don't rate Martin. There's a reason for that. And also, Pearson's judgement was alright when he signed vydra.

not that they dont rate him. just want to play a different system. Pearson seems pretty odd to say the least so i wouldnt want to guess his motives but rowett needed to move derby on from this mac era post clough, thing weve got. that involved selling hughes, loaning bryson out and wondering if martin can fit in to this pacey direct stuff or not. 

4 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Big difference between rating someone and seeing them in their system.

Martin and Vydra are the best examples, hence the constant ******* arguing on here.

Vydra is a brilliant striker at this level, one of the most prolific of the past 5 years. I doubt McClaren thought he was crap but he’s not a lone striker and he’s not a winger. He’s never going to hold the ball up well.

Martin is a brilliant striker at this level, one of the most prolific of the past 5 years. I doubt Rowett thinks he’s crap but he’s not a pressing striker and he’s not a mobile 10. He’s never going to do the teams running up top.

You could adjust your style to include them but what’s easier, changing a style you’ve had success with because of one striker or sticking to your guns.

6 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Yeah but then he had him and James Wilson running about loads solely looking to get in behind with no clear plan on how the ball was to get to them. 

He had an energetic attacking-midfield runner who possessed a limited passing range sitting. 

He had a player who likes to get his foot on the ball playing wide-right.

They both don’t rate Martin because they want somebody to run the channels and link play up from there whereas Martin will drop off and expect it to feet. 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

Yeah but then he had him and James Wilson running about loads solely looking to get in behind with no clear plan on how the ball was to get to them. 

He had an energetic attacking-midfield runner who possessed a limited passing range sitting. 

He had a player who likes to get his foot on the ball playing wide-right.

They both don’t rate Martin because they want somebody to run the channels and link play up from there whereas Martin will drop off and expect it to feet. 

I give up, when people start on with the master tactician bulls**t I lose the will to live.

12 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

I give up, when people start on with the master tactician bulls**t I lose the will to live.

Well to be fair mate I spent X number of years watching those players and what they were good at and some bloke comes in, asks them to do the opposite of what they’re good at and we found ourselves 22nd with a piss-poor Blackburn side scoring a 24 pass team goal against us...

25 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Big difference between rating someone and seeing them in their system.

Martin and Vydra are the best examples, hence the constant ******* arguing on here.

Vydra is a brilliant striker at this level, one of the most prolific of the past 5 years. I doubt McClaren thought he was crap but he’s not a lone striker and he’s not a winger. He’s never going to hold the ball up well.

Martin is a brilliant striker at this level, one of the most prolific of the past 5 years. I doubt Rowett thinks he’s crap but he’s not a pressing striker and he’s not a mobile 10. He’s never going to do the teams running up top.

You could adjust your style to include them but what’s easier, changing a style you’ve had success with because of one striker or sticking to your guns.

I totally get your point, except I don't think Martin is brilliant at this level anymore and I suspect that GR thinks likewise. I believe that teams cottoned on to the fact that if you stopped Martin you stopped Derby (enter big strong centre half  who makes it a physical one on one battle, CM diving, gesturing to the ref, moaning and contributing very little) and I think that will be the case all the time no matter who he plays with. It was fantastic when it all came together with Martin, Bryson, Hughes and Hendrick but I can't see that happening anywhere again, for those reasons.

Archived