Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

37 minutes ago, Sat Atwal said:

Nixon in the sun says a deal to LOAN him to reading is close.... and that we looking to loan out shackell too and get rid of Anya on any basis, loan or perm.

A loan ffs, why?! He’s not getting a lot of game time here granted, but he still has a role in the team, shouldn’t be loaning out players who are good enough for your team to other teams in the same division. It’s fair enough with players like Shackell and Anya if no one will take them on a permanent because they offer nothing at the moment and need to play games, but if no one offers us money we can reinvest for Martin, then why not keep him?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He contributes to wins so I would like us to keep him and no one has the correct money to buy him and out of the reported loan options Reading is not a league threat so he could end up there if pushed out. But why would he unless he wants to start every game, he can stay here and collect his biggish wages with bonuses etc and be involved on match days with a great opportunity to get promotion on his cv again and not disrupt his young family again.

shackell Bent Anya are all basically doing nothing and they need to move on to play somewhere and we can make a small saving on their big wages

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

A loan ffs, why?! He’s not getting a lot of game time here granted, but he still has a role in the team, shouldn’t be loaning out players who are good enough for your team to other teams in the same division. It’s fair enough with players like Shackell and Anya if no one will take them on a permanent because they offer nothing at the moment and need to play games, but if no one offers us money we can reinvest for Martin, then why not keep him?

Agree 100%

I’ve always been a big fan of Martin’s in his time here, even when others have knocked him; imo was as much down to the supply as him himself.

This aside, whilst I still think he’s a very good player at this level, I think he may always be too immobile for Rowett. He likes different options but with the underlying effort and pressing. This isn’t martin’s strength. He’s the strong pivot others play off. In the bigger picture if Martin goes (even loan) to free up funds for someone Rowett thinks will contribute more, so be it. He’ll be a higher earner so makes sense. If it’s a decent 10 minute cameo vs 90 minutes suited to another player to match a game plan then it’s a no brainier.

When Martin goes it’ll be with a heavy heart, but ince and Hughes have shown there’s life after great players that wouldn’t fit perfectly into a system. 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Whatever. Don’t believe me believe your eyes once you decide to open them.

It’s pointless saying anything back to a wannabe spokesperson for Steve McClaren and his prize pony. I’m not living in 2013 like you and am 100% behind modern tactical dominant football featuring Rowett and his thoroughbred, Vydra. 

bo0oo0o0o0oo0ring. 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Whatever. Don’t believe me believe your eyes once you decide to open them.

It’s pointless saying anything back to a wannabe spokesperson for Steve McClaren and his prize pony. I’m not living in 2013 like you and am 100% behind modern tactical dominant football featuring Rowett and his thoroughbred, Vydra. 

Did you not see the Martin flick for Derbys 3rd goal or do you need specsavers 

I like CM he's done a great job for us in a system we no longer play ,in terms of value his ship has sailed I'm afraid .The only way to look at that is MV's value has made up for it .

With regard to CM leaving and the possibility of signing Jerome ,I watched him closely when he played against Burton and in our current system I do believe he would be an upgrade.

It's a shame that CM's contract extension and change of managers has clouded the issue ,  lack of playing time  has devalued CM in the process along with the increased wages.

As much as I hate to say it, time to move on if GR can't  accommodate him .

17 minutes ago, Sat Atwal said:

loaning out Martin and signing Jerome is promotion suicide

I would normally agree, but after everything I said and thought in the summer and early months of this season about Rowett and the current squad, and where we find ourselves in the table now, what I'm finding out is that the only thing I know about football is how little I know about football. 

2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I like CM he's done a great job for us in a system we no longer play ,in terms of value his ship has sailed I'm afraid .The only way to look at that is MV's value has made up for it .

With regard to CM leaving and the possibility of signing Jerome ,I watched him closely when he played against Burton and in our current system I do believe he would be an upgrade.

It's a shame that CM's contract extension and change of managers has clouded the issue ,  lack of playing time  has devalued CM in the process along with the increased wages.

As much as I hate to say it, time to move on if GR can't  accommodate him .

It’s certainly looking like CMs days are numbered here. All good things must come to an end sometime, it appears to be now for DCFC & CM

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

There were some true, but the players brought in or who we were being linked with  (huddlestone and lawrence) were eagerly anticipated which softened the blow.

There don't seem to be as many Cameroonies - if any! 

If Rowett wants him he must be right for what he wants him for  Tell me a signing he's got wrong  Its really doesn't matter if you or me or anyone else doesn't rate Jerome its what the manager and his staff decide 

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I would normally agree, but after everything I said and thought in the summer and early months of this season about Rowett and the current squad, and where we find ourselves in the table now, what I'm finding out is that the only thing I know about football is how little I know about football. 

Me too, I made the same errors of judgement in the closed season. 

Goes to show why GR and other managers get paid so well. 

Archived