Vydra

Jimbo Ram

Just thought I would look at Vydra's goal scoring stats. He has been below average this season so far and last season as well but his career average to date is a goal every 3.5 games and his UK only goal record is a goal every 3.2 games.

As a guide Hector was 2.45. Davison 2.66 Dean Saunders 3.25. Not sure we should write this guy off just yet.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Just thought I would look at Vydra's goal scoring stats. He has been below average this season so far and last season but his career average to date is a goal every 3.5 games and his UK only goal record is a goal every 3.2 games.

As a guide Hector was 2.45. Davison 2.66 Dean Saunders 3.25. Not sure we should write this guy off just yet.

That doesn't give the full picture though.  His stats are a goal every 2.33 games when playing for Watford, and every 6.76 when playing for everyone else.  If you take the last 2 seasons (at Reading and Us), it's a goal every 9.6 games.  Obviously the stats from the last 2 seasons are affected by him having a lot of sub appearances, but even so, it's not good.

Very frustrating situation for DCFC. We really need a quality striker, we have shipped one out to Fulham and paid £8million for another who just doesn't look the part. I can understand why Mel doesn't want to buy big in this transfer window, but we won't finish in the top six until we replace Martin with someone of equal or superior ability. 

12 hours ago, europia said:

Very frustrating situation for DCFC. We really need a quality striker, we have shipped one out to Fulham and paid £8million for another who just doesn't look the part. I can understand why Mel doesn't want to buy big in this transfer window, but we won't finish in the top six until we replace Martin with someone of equal or superior ability. 

We can't o/a FFP. Incomings largely paid for by outgoings  (nugent and Grant). We may have a couple of mn leeway but that's it I reckon. 

Nugent is the Martin replacement 

If we buy someone else I bet it's paid for by Russell leaving

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, rynny said:

Thought he looked quite good tonight. Linked up well with Anya and Nugent. Playing off a striker looks like his position, like he was brought in for.

Yep. This guy needs a goal! A bit of confidence and some players to link up with. 

Might even see him and Martin play in a front two when he returns. Could work quite well.

Not ready to give up on him just yet.

Again I thought he was awful.

Never once got into a position to score from, didn't venture near the box, no creativity (not helped by a very uncreative team), defensive duties were done poorly, shirks any physical contact, never got control of any bouncing balls, lost the ball on their third goal.

Sorry, but he has one position, top of the pitch playing off a big man. If we can't provide that solution, then don't bother with him.

Im curious - we've just played 120 mins without creating a decent chance and our guy who played 70 minutes behind the striker played well apparently? I guess we watch different games...

I was encouraged by how he played when playing off a target man.

Adds more fuel to the Pearson bonfire given he got rid of our best target man and didn't give them the chance to play together.

Shocking tracking back though for their 3rd goal. Absolute powder puff to get outmusccled by Gray when he had a good 60/70 minutes less running in him.

Just now, rammieib said:

Never once got into a position to score from, didn't venture near the box, no creativity (not helped by a very uncreative team), defensive duties were done poorly, shirks any physical contact, never got control of any bouncing balls, lost the ball on their third goal.

Sorry, but he has one position, top of the pitch playing off a big man. If we can't provide that solution, then don't bother with him.

Im curious - we've just played 120 mins without creating a decent chance and our guy who played 70 minutes behind the striker played well apparently? I guess we watch different games...

I have been defending Vydra since he has joined, but having just got back from Leicester, I agree with you. I think he was poor, don't think he showed any effort, don't think he showed any ability either. For me, the thing that really bugged me about Vydra tonight was what I perceive as him showing a lack of effort. For me, this is inexcusable for any player.

48 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I agree. You just watched a player you declared should never wear the shirt again and I watched a player that hope does well for the team. Your mind set is of a negative before he had even kicked a ball and would have taken something spectacular for you to acknowledge he played well. He didn't play amazing, didn't produce any wow factor moments but what he did was play some nice neat inter changes with the other attacking players, he consistently tracked back. He was all over the pitch and tried to be that link up between the front man and the 2 midfielders.

Like I said he played well.

Was impressed with Vydra tonight. Kept trying and kept trying things. I'd have started him instead of Blackman, and I think he demonstrated he has a lot to offer.The 4-4-2/4-2-4 isn't a bad plan B at all and I think a Vydra/Nugent combo might prove very effective. He's fast and skillful and just needs a couple of goals and then he might really start firing.

I can't understand the abuse towards Vydra. Bar losing it for the Gray goal, I don't think he put a foot wrong. He created space for himself, drew fouls and rarely misplaced a pass. I feel he's been tarred by an Ostrich brush. 

6 hours ago, rynny said:

I agree. You just watched a player you declared should never wear the shirt again and I watched a player that hope does well for the team. Your mind set is of a negative before he had even kicked a ball and would have taken something spectacular for you to acknowledge he played well. He didn't play amazing, didn't produce any wow factor moments but what he did was play some nice neat inter changes with the other attacking players, he consistently tracked back. He was all over the pitch and tried to be that link up between the front man and the 2 midfielders.

Like I said he played well.

Absolutely spot on.

Any excuse to point the finger at Vydra @rammieib will. He is getting blamed for the 3rd goal when our right back wasn't even there and Keogh got turned inside out. Yes he could of made the block or tackle but we didn't sign an 8m striker to tackle in his own box did we?

Lay off the guy man! He did alright last night.

Vydra once again lacked any service until we sort of the lack of creativity in midfield he will struggle.

I do like Nugent and Vydra playing up front together, at least he will have someone to link up with - but again we need service from the midfield to make this work.

Archived