Vydra

Jimbo Ram

As soon as Mac came back , people had already written Vydra off . Why ? Because he's not a target man ? Doesn't play with his back to goal ? Not Chris Martin ? There's more than one way to play the game.  Just because Pearson struggled to get our team to perform in a different shape doesn't mean Mac can't and to me Vydra could be key to this. Showed promise playing behind a central striker , he looked more dangerous than a hell of a lot players did last night . 

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that Vydra could not get a start even in last nights weakened team. I guess that pretty much sums up what the manager thinks. It's not the players fault that Watford conned £8million out of Mel, however he looks a very ordinary player. I agree he runs around a lot and is not lacking in effort, but with very little impact on a game and no end product.

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Absolutely spot on.

Any excuse to point the finger at Vydra @rammieib will. He is getting blamed for the 3rd goal when our right back wasn't even there and Keogh got turned inside out. Yes he could of made the block or tackle but we didn't sign an 8m striker to tackle in his own box did we?

Lay off the guy man! He did alright last night.

Sorry, but I'll give me honest opinion. I didn't think he played well but I also don't think he was playing his best position. I said he lost the ball on the third goal because he did lose the ball on the third goal. Yeah our RB was up the pithc (Not expecting the ball to be lost and we were chasing the game) and yes Keogh also got done (But Gray is a class player IMO) but he lost the ball!! I'm only stating a fact.

I just find it surprising to say he played well and was creatively OK when we played 120 mins (70 or so with him on the pitch) and we didn't create a single good opportunity. The best we had was probably a Russell header in extra time.

Anyway - you say an £8m Striker - yes we didn't buy him to defend, I think we bought him to score goals. I'm not sure he even went into the Leicester box last night. He was constantly hanging back - part of the reason Christie and co had no one to aim a cross at.

For the record, Anya, De Sart, Shackell came out of the game with credit on their performance.

2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Showed promise playing behind a central striker , he looked more dangerous than a hell of a lot players did last night . 

That's not saying a lot though is it? If we want to go up this/next year I wouldn't want to rely on Vydra being 'okay'. He's had plenty of time on the pitch and 'shown some nice touches and a bit of effort' - that's not gonna get us up.

I want to love every Derby player, but some just make it difficult. Blackman's one, Vydra's another.

Not entirely their fault, both victims of being bought for a relative inflated fee, and neither really fit the system.

Not tracking back for the 2nd Fester goal, powderpuff for the 3rd. If he'd been on the pitch since minute 1, I could have excused it a bit, and granted the 2nd was against a player in Ndidi who had just come on, but Gray had been on since the start.

Still, Vydra looked interesting in the 4-2-3-1, but I don't see us playing that with a full strength team.

37 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I want to love every Derby player, but some just make it difficult. Blackman's one, Vydra's another.

Not entirely their fault, both victims of being bought for a relative inflated fee, and neither really fit the system.

Not tracking back for the 2nd Fester goal, powderpuff for the 3rd. If he'd been on the pitch since minute 1, I could have excused it a bit, and granted the 2nd was against a player in Ndidi who had just come on, but Gray had been on since the start.

Still, Vydra looked interesting in the 4-2-3-1, but I don't see us playing that with a full strength team.

Agree, it's the fault of who ever carried out the assessment of these players and recommended that Mel paid what he did. Both massively overpriced and you would probably have done just as well buying a couple of players from Burton. Amazed that Blackman did OK at Reading, his first touch and positional awareness look a few divisions lower than Championship. Vydra must have been playing in a very good team at Watford and that perhaps made him look a better player than he is.  

I am a big fan but even for even for me the clock is ticking.

on the up side I think he began to wake up when Nugent came on. There were signs of what many have mentioned, he needs to be a foil but quite how that fits with our system I don't know. I suppose plan B being a 4231 could see him being more effective. It seems a waste for a player with a natural touch and some real zip.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Sorry, but I'll give me honest opinion. I didn't think he played well but I also don't think he was playing his best position. I said he lost the ball on the third goal because he did lose the ball on the third goal. Yeah our RB was up the pithc (Not expecting the ball to be lost and we were chasing the game) and yes Keogh also got done (But Gray is a class player IMO) but he lost the ball!! I'm only stating a fact.

I just find it surprising to say he played well and was creatively OK when we played 120 mins (70 or so with him on the pitch) and we didn't create a single good opportunity. The best we had was probably a Russell header in extra time.

Anyway - you say an £8m Striker - yes we didn't buy him to defend, I think we bought him to score goals. I'm not sure he even went into the Leicester box last night. He was constantly hanging back - part of the reason Christie and co had no one to aim a cross at.

For the record, Anya, De Sart, Shackell came out of the game with credit on their performance.

Is that down to him or McLaren's tactics? A lot of what you are criticising him for isn't even his own fault.

I don't mind you not rating Vydra its obviously fine to have different opinions but you need to try hold your tongue more. When you have a genuine dislike for a player a lot of focus is what they are doing wrong. Take Wigan away for example for a lot of us he was great but I think from memory you said he was poor. That is exactly the reason I think no matter how he plays you will say he is poor because from the off you are judging him unfairly.

Don't get me wrong he does need to start firing but we do need him to play in his correct position to really see what he is about. Until then, leave the gun unloaded. :)

Vydra came to Derby unfit, and has spent most of his time since then on the bench. He's the sort of player that needs a run of 10 games in the side, even if he's not scoring, to get back into it.

Trouble is we're at the business end of the season and we have the most impatient bunch of fans going (think back to criticism of Baird, Johnson, Camara and Pearce, to name a few). I'm starting to doubt whether he'll be given the time here to prove himself like all those players seem to be doing currently. It just seems a massive waste.

4 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

Vydra came to Derby unfit, and has spent most of his time since then on the bench. He's the sort of player that needs a run of 10 games in the side, even if he's not scoring, to get back into it...I'm starting to doubt whether he'll be given the time here to prove himself like all those players seem to be doing currently. It just seems a massive waste.

Depends whether you'd rather we played for Vydra to get fit or to win games?! Anyway who says he was unfit and still is?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Goodness you're easily pleased!

He did show promise, faded in ET, needs another striker alongside him, he and Nugent didn't seem to link too well together but then Nugent clearly was not at all fit.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Goodness you're easily pleased!

Agreed......are people seriously willing to give vydra ten more games to get a goal,whilst we have proven goal scorers on the bench....he started nearly half of the games this season after all with no result.

Doing a few fancy tip taps and almost kicking a Leicester player in the head in the penalty area when he cpuld have chested it down and turned doesn't really make up for scoring precisely no goals since the first few games of the season and contributing nothing else to the other players.

If he stays at derby for next season then perhaps Mac will have the time are season to get it into his head the way he needs to play and get him working off martin but I'm not sure how long macs patience can last with the lad......

To my mind he has had plenty of chances to shine and get a goal,you only have to look at brysons recent goals to know that a good instinctive goal scorer will do just that when fit ....

Archived