Vydra

Jimbo Ram

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I might have missed it. I was one of the few on here who weren't overly excited about the signings of both Vydra and Wilson. I think paying 8 million was way over the top, I see him more in the 2-3 million bracket. I recognise that Vydra is better off playing in a front 2 under the system that Pearson wanted to play and that he isn't really suited to playing our preferred system as the lone striker who can hold the ball up and bring others in to play. My question is should we now cut our losses and sell him in this transfer window? If the answer is yes, what sort of fee might we get for him?

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I might have missed it. I was one of the few on here who weren't overly excited about the signings of both Vydra and Wilson. I think paying 8 million was way over the top, I see him more in the 2-3 million bracket. I recognise that Vydra is better off playing in a front 2 under the system that Pearson wanted to play and that he isn't really suited to playing our preferred system as the lone striker who can hold the ball up and bring others in to play. My question is should we now cut our losses and sell him in this transfer window? If the answer is yes, what sort of fee might we get for him?

He's already played for 2 clubs. Can't play for another.

And yes, it has been discussed elsewhere. Quite a lot, unfortunately.

I think he'll come good once he gets some confidence, myself. 

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No - far too soon

Personally I would keep him , saying he can't play in a 4 3 3 is daft . Of course he can with the right coaching , he's a top player , still young and immensely talented . 

Think people are too caught up on the fee , it was always rumoured we paid £8 million , very much doubt we did , maybe a tad over inflated by the media and a lot would have been with add ons , personal performance , cub performance etc etc .... 

Problem is and clearly Mac has thought this too...How long do we spend getting him up to speed and integrating him into the system whilst waiting for him to score goals?

Time isn't on his side in this respect.... Presumably Mac is hoping that Nugent will hit the ground running and it's pretty much guaranteed Martin would,so playing  vydra is taking a big risk with our promotion hopes.

This of course may well have been sorted out pre season had smc been here but then again Martin wouldn't of left and vydra wouldnt of been taken on in the first place.

Perhaps if he stays,then Mac will have time to spend on him pre next season but I can't see him staying if Nugents successful and Martin returns.

Vydra has some ability, but not £8m worth. He also doesn't fit the system, unless he learns to play a wide forward role. 

Weimann is in a similar boat.

Blackman, I think, is more suited to the formation than the former two and could offer something. 

All three won't be here in 18 months time, that I would bet a lot of money on. 

In my opinion, Vydra isn't on the same wavelength as the midfield or those around him. He makes fantastic runs and creates space for himself but more often than not doesn't receive it. Obviously easier for one person to change their style of play to suit those around him then to get a midfield to set up in a different way to suit the striker. But with more understanding Vydra will come good.

I was excited when we signed him. Don't really care about the fee

Now when I see him playing I feel the same way I used to feel about Sammon. 

People always talk about players being PL quality, making the step up, will destroy this league etc. It's rubbish. It's about fitting. And Vydra doesn't. 

I'm not impressed by running. 

Not that I want him sold, shot or set fire to. Just when he plays I don't expect much. 

Could turn it around but we haven't had much out of him since his arrival. Considering the slating some of our players get for producing a lot more it's worth mentioning 

I just know he can make the grade. He is intelligent, he can keep the ball, is quick and has a touch. 

I would like to see him in the front 3 he could add a deftness of touch that JR hasn't got. 

but yes I suppose doubts start to creep in when his 3 or 4 subs appearances and a couple of starts don't yield immediate goals. Still, I am defo team Vydra until he leaves the building 

It surprises me no one ever mentions the times (I recall 3), in the last Few games where Ince has had the ball with Vydra to his left, had Ince squared the ball on each of the occasions Vydra was 1 on 1 with the keeper. It happened on Saturday and had Ince just passed the ball it was 3-1 to Derby. 

You can't blame Ince, he is scoring goals and he should be greedy.

Vydra gets into the space and makes the right runs, Vydra and Nugent will work well together.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It surprises me no one ever mentions the times (I recall 3), in the last Few games where Ince has had the ball with Vydra to his left, had Ince squared the ball on each of the occasions Vydra was 1 on 1 with the keeper. It happened on Saturday and had Ince just passed the ball it was 3-1 to Derby. 

Vydra gets into the space and makes the right runs, Vydra and Nugent will work well together.

Then again, he's had a few one on ones and fluffed them, maybe Ince thought having a go himself was a better option than giving Vydra another one.

Vydra runs, but doesn't get anywhere near where the ball ends up, so ultimately they aren't the right runs, there is no evidence whatsoever that him and Nugent would work together even if they got the chance, which they won't.

Vydra is now third choice, if Martin returns he's fourth choice. I'd be surprised if he gets on the field again this season, and he wouldn't have any cause for complaint if he didn't, he's had enough chances.

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

McClaren picked up on this in the post-match interview after West Brom. He said that it's something we need to get better at - spotting players in space and playing the right ball at the right time. In this case, Ince held on to the ball for too long and the chance was gone.

People have been very quick to write off Vydra in my opinion. He's not had too many starts. There's been 1 or 2 incidents like that mentioned above involving Vydra previously, where his position for the final ball has been missed/ignored. If those balls reach him, that's potentially a few more goals. Then you have the chances he's had one on one so far. Against Bristol City he should have scored, against Wolves he should have scored. A confident Vydra with regular game time probably puts those away, he did it time and time again for Watford. If those go in, he's probably on 7 or 8 goals for the club and suddenly he's not that bad a signing.

It's fine margins. I wouldn't write him off or get rid just yet.

Archived