Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The point was... His original stats showed that Russell was actually by far and away our second best winger and we should keep him...

So he changed the stats to try and support his original stance that Russell is rubbish.

Not sure why we're having a go at Russell for not scoring or assisting when we have the second lowest goal tally in the championship... Lower than Rotherham... Let's get their wingers!

Solved it... Rotherham have scored more than us... Let's get them... No wait I think Shackell scored at some point... He's as good a winger as Russell then... Back to Johnson on the wing a la Pearson anyone?

Why don't we just buy Chelski and be done with it? Mel would have enough change for a kebab and a bottle of iPro. 

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, TopRam said:

But it's ok to judge Weimann Blackman off a few games? Most have been coming of the bench aswell...

We've seen enough of Weimann to know that he literally plays like an off the shoulder striker despite the fact he's out wide whenever he's there. 

Blackman would be a gamble. We know Johnny will eventually fit; will Blackman? In his entire career Blackman's had three good months, Johnny's had two good seasons and one decent season hampered by injuries in a functional Derby side. 

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

This is not the case at all, I put stats up for all the current wingers whilst they have been at Derby then put up this current seasons stats as well which is surely the fairest way to assess our players whilst judging and comparing them. This seasons stats are more relevant to us than any previous season.

A few seasons back I was a huge fan of Russell and if he maintained a similar level of performance as back then id 100% say no to selling him but for me he hasnt shown he can reach that same level, similar to Bryson, I just cant see neither of them reaching that level again.

In no way am I saying that any other winger on the books are guarenteed to do better than Russell either I just think they all deserve as much a chance to prove themselves under McClaren as Russell has.

Not sure you can judge players in isolation...both JR and CB both operate best when they have a chap called Chris Martin to focus their play towards.:mellow:

If we do sell, it'll only be because McClaren thinks it benefits the team to do so as he can put the fee to better use elsewhere.

In MAc I trust. He gets it right more often than not in my view on players (including loan signings)

21 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Right, I'm not claiming to be ITK, but as I mentioned in the Lansbury thread I do live in Birmingham. I'm just relaying something that I've heard.

My flat mates boyfriends mate works at St Andrews and he told me that he saw an expensive car there yesterday with the number plate 'RUS E11'. He said that it had two stickers on the bumper.

One sticker said "Baby on board" and the other said "I DO have an end product and I definitely am a top 6 player, Derby have got into the top 6 two out of the three seasons I've been here, and I've been a key part of those teams, producing assists, goals, nice link up play and been an asset when defending. I'm only unpopular with some fans because I am so popular with little kids and grown men with IQ's below 80 who value 'running and work ethic' above anything else, not my fault I work hard, is it, ya fockin' jeb ends"

My mate said he'd have got a picture of it, but his phone didn't work because he's a fictional person with a fictional phone. As ever, I'm only telling you what I'm hearing here in Brum, please don't jump on me. Thanks, God bless.

I'm calling BS on this one. Sounds right hooky to me.

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Not sure you can judge players in isolation...both JR and CB both operate best when they have a chap called Chris Martin to focus their play towards.:mellow:

True, but unfortunatly Martin isnt back (yet) - but maybe under Mc the other wingers could link up with Martin just as well, we dont know just like we dont know if JR and CB could reach the same level even with Martin back

1 minute ago, feisty said:

If we do sell, it'll only be because McClaren thinks it benefits the team to do so as he can put the fee to better use elsewhere.

In MAc I trust. He gets it right more often than not in my view on players (including loan signings)

Ultimately whilst I wouldn't sell I agree with you here. If McClaren decides to sell him I'll trust that it's the correct one.

28 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Ultimately whilst I wouldn't sell I agree with you here. If McClaren decides to sell him I'll trust that it's the correct one.

I agree with this entirely..........although I did post something similar on CM when NP was in charge - and whilst I'm not CM's biggest fan, I'll hold my hands up and say my (blind?) faith in NP was totally misplaced!!

I think based on this season alone we have enough players who can play LW and contribute the same as Johnny has so far. Hopefully there's a hidden gem on the way tho.

Wonder all those banding stats about could show how many chances Russell has compared to Ince etc over last season and a half? How many on and off target perhaps. 

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Wonder all those banding stats about could show how many chances Russell has compared to Ince etc over last season and a half? How many on and off target perhaps. 

On whoscored.com they only have total shots, to which this season* Ince has had 67 to Russell's 26. Last season* Ince 128 and Russell 64.

*League games only.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/20

9 minutes ago, rynny said:

On whoscored.com they only have total shots, to which this season* Ince has had 67 to Russell's 26. Last season* Ince 128 and Russell 64.

*League games only.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/20

Cheers, this is the thing with Johnny for me..... he probably out of all the players in the squad, gets in the best positions..... yet I feel he wastes his chance far more often than he should do..... either making a cross or especially shooting/1on1 chances. Also feel he is on his heels a lot nowadays. 

The other thing to bear in mind, apart from the first 8 or so games block head was in charge. JR has had how many left backs behind him now? All with different types of play. It must be difficult when you replace Hanson who never goes forward with Camara or Anya that always go to the bye line.

could he be replaced, definitely, easily? Not so sure. Would I trust Camara and weimann to play there for the remainder of the season and get us promoted, absolutely not.

I think we need to be thankful and I mean truly thankful that Pearson isn't still in charge. Otherwise he'd leave it until the last minute of the window and then loan him out with no recall clause. Then replace him with an out of form centre half for an extortionate and obscene amount of money. For the record if JR went then I would miss him and the team as a whole would miss him but no one player is irreplaceable. However we are having considerable trouble replacing our beloved Wardrobe. Any chance that we could convince Fulham that we've converted JR back into a centre forward and that we'll do a straight swap for CM. Worth a shot if Mac has decided JRs time is up.

I think the phrase that springs to mind with way too many Rams fans is "familiarity breeds contempt." I would not part with JR. He gives us plenty and when in a fully strength side (ie with proper left-back, and a balanced midfield, and a decent centre forward), he runs teams ragged. Just because your Mercedes is in the garage, you don't get rid of your caravan. Think on! :mellow:

If he does stay, he needs to improve substantially. We can't afford to have a winger that produces what he does in the side week-in, week-out. Any professional footballer playing in an attacking position for a regular period of time, regardless of level or ability, should be devastated with just the one goal to show for his efforts - especially when you consider he's made 15 starts this season.

As I said, if he stays and we don't bring in a LW then he needs to improve massively because to say he hasn't been good enough for this season is a huge understatement. Sean Morrison, the Cardiff centre back, has two goals and four assists for crying out loud! He's even created more goalscoring opportunities. 

15 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

This is not the case at all, I put stats up for all the current wingers whilst they have been at Derby then put up this current seasons stats as well which is surely the fairest way to assess our players whilst judging and comparing them. 

No, not really... For instance you are comparing Russell, who has mostly started games, had to do a LOT of the hard running, tracking back, disciplined play in a team devoid of goals BUT playing pretty well defensively against guys who mostly have been coming on for 20-30 mins at the end of games...

I like Blackman but his single goal this season was a penalty... Camara left us woefully exposed at the back against Leeds... And Weimann I still think looks a little like he's so desperate to prove himself he can't relax...

PLUS you have to allow for the fact that Ince has had Baird behind him for a lot of the good run giving him a little more freedom... Where Russell has been playing ahead of a random assortment of LBs each of whom are slightly more attacking than defensive so need that extra tracking back...

I don't think it's been Russell's greatest season so far but to suggest that he's suddenly dreadful is nonsense... Every player has bad patches... Are you in the camp that think Martin is dreadful because he didn't score for a while?

Archived