Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

For me, We should sell him if we get a decent fee and if we can replace him with better. However I do believe there are others that need moving on first, Camara, Blackman (Wiemann was one but has gone). 

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the Martin situation as he/his style arguably brings out the best in JR and also Bryson. 

I would love us to go for someone in the Knockheart mould, genuine quality who can offer service. However you look at it the service for the strikers has been abysmal this season. I think sort the service out and we will be a lot better off and the way to do that is to improve the quality of the wide player(s).

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DCFC83 said:

How many players who put on the shirt would you really say are Derby players.. Passionate about the club.. Russell is at the top imo.. Yes, he doesn't score alot but is one of the best out the bunch that we brought south of the border! Think the man deserves a  new contract and i would be sad to see him go.. Yes, Ince has found some form but for a very long time he looked like he didn't give a toss. Anya hasn't done alot, Blackman is not a winger, Andi has gone.. Who else do we have?   

This makes me want to scream! I don't go with this 'passion' nonsense. A player is either good enough to take my club forward or he isn't and much as Russell appears from the outside to be a 'nice guy', we need better in his position in the team and that goes for 3 or 4 other slots as well. It's unreasonable to expect to correct those deficiencies in one transfer window but it would be encouraging to be able to fill one, maybe two in this one.

2 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

He scored a good goal at Brum on boxing day a couple of years back to round off a 4-0 tonkin... sweeping home a lovely low finish, the type of chance he's been snatching at this season.

It snowed that day aswell..

One of my favourite away days, that. It was a complete performance, from start to finish.

Froze my nuts off, and the drive home was.. interesting.. but all worth it.

Nobody puts a bigger shift in than Johnny, if he scored more he'd not get half as much criticism. Yet ironically for a forward, he probably makes us more compact and difficult to score against by the number of threats he closes down, lifts others around him too.

Johnny must stay, his work rate and attitude is spot on, and you need players like Johnny in your dressing room, as his desire is a great example to others around him, a very important member of Derbys squad in the pat 4 years, and he would be very hard and expensive to replace.

I don't think anyone can deny that JR has had a disappointing season so far and the one chance he had today he fluffed. But the saving tackle he made late in the game when all our defenders were nowhere to be seen was brilliant - worth a goal on its' own.

He desperately needs a goal and if it happens soon then hopefully his confidence will return. I've always liked him so hope he gets the opportunity to get back to the form he showed 2 seasons ago but nobody can say we aren't lacking more penetration upfront which is where Russell is playing. 

The simple fact is that Johnny is our best option to play on the left, given the current squad.

Until such time as we bring somebody significantly better in then he should be going nowhere.

In fact even if we did bring a Sako in, for example, I'd still want to keep Johnny around as first replacement.

How clever of Derby to entertain bids for Russell, Johnny loves it here and knows the fans love him, to know that Derby could sell him he knows he has to pull his socks up. I'm sure Derby knew what they were doing.

I just knew he would play today and when I saw he was playing I knew he would have a blinder.

Thats the Johnny Russell we all fell in love with. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

How clever of Derby to entertain bids for Russell, Johnny loves it here and knows the fans love him, to know that Derby could sell him he knows he has to pull his socks up. I'm sure Derby knew what they were doing.

I just knew he would play today and when I saw he was playing I knew he would have a blinder.

Thats the Johnny Russell we all fell in love with. 

Johnny Russell is one of the players that most fans are desperate to see him succeed.

He has an honesty and enthusiasm that it's so easy to like.

Ally that with the impression he's a decent bloke as well and its plain to see why we love him.

He would be the first to admit that he has had ,I'm sorry to say, a dreadful time this season as he made his own assessment of his season last term.

But when he is in good form he is also a good footballer. Not the best, but by no stretch the worst. 

And he would take some replacing. He sticks to his task and never ever hides. Always there when goal celebrations are happening which shows he has our club at heart. 

Any side in any league in the world needs a worker, a player the manager trusts.

Johnny Russell we trust you.

Every time you pull on a Derby shirt we know you'll give us everything you've got. No hiding,sulking or half measures, everything.

Ala Nobby Styles, Dunga, Deschamps....... all not the best but needed by the manager and team.

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Tell you what, especially after today,if anyone tries to get johnny off us they will have to get by me and my German shepherd first...

He's going nowhere son

Don't know if I'm more pleased for your new relationship or that we've (by which I mean you've) finally managed to recruit a rugged German to fight for the Derby cause.  Good on you!

Watched him v closely today.

Pace good

Tracking back excellent

In front of goal hesitant

Created a goal close with a couple

Commitment cant be questioned

His performance today was helped by having an attacking fullback who overlapped and at times JR dropped in to fill the hole which is clever play. This is something only Incey does of the current wingers on our books. Would have loved him to have scored.

I can honestly say a lot of what he does goes unnoticed and is the reason why we conceded so few goals during the unbeaten run. Hence the likes if Brighton would like him in the side.

Archived