Nick Blackman - Let's give him a chance

DarkFruitsRam7

Whilst I think it's great news that Nick Blackman is fit again, I really feel for him. He's become a kind of joke figure at the club, with many making out like he's not fit to kick a football. If you look at it, when we signed him last January we were on the decline; he's only really played bit-part roles from the bench; his fresh start came under Nigel "the f***ing twonk" Pearson and he's been injured since McClaren came back. 

Yes, he's fluffed his lines at times when he's had the chance, but you can see that there's ability in there somewhere. At times, his first touch has been absolutely sublime, and the reports we heard from the way he was training in pre-season were very encouraging. Let's not forget he has scored this season.

The way people have jumped on his back remind me of a certain Chris Baird, who's turned out alright hasn't he? Even @Srg and @B4ev6is have acknowledged his improvement. Baird serves to demonstrate what a run in the team and a lucky break can do for a player, so why haven't we learnt from this? It sickens me when I see fans rubbishing Blackman and implying that he's the worst player of all time when he's barely been given a chance. For me, any player in that Derby shirt, as long as they put the effort in, deserves 100% of our support. 

I for one am looking forward to seeing if he can stake a claim for a spot in the team, as he seems excited to be back. I will give him all my support whilst he remains a Derby player. 

Up the Rams.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone should be judged on how they played in a Nigel Pearson side. They'd all be playing Sunday league if that was the measure of their ability.

From the little we've seen I'd say Blackman has a certain instinct, good physical attributes and some natural ability. Problem seems to be when he thinks and confidence. I'd back Mac2 to bring out the player in him if there is one. 

For now he has to work hard, wait for his chance and learn as much as he can. 

At some point our fans need to learn never to write anyone off. It'll always bite you on the bum eventually.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

he is rubbish....his goals over his entire career have been rubbish, he has been rubbish since he joined us and there is nothing to suggest he won't be rubbish for the rest of his career

I hear that he speaks very highly of you though.

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Whilst I think it's great news that Nick Blackman is fit again, I really feel for him. He's become a kind of joke figure at the club, with many making out like he's not fit to kick a football. If you look at it, when we signed him last January we were on the decline; he's only really played bit-part roles from the bench; his fresh start came under Nigel "the f***ing twonk" Pearson and he's been injured since McClaren came back. 

Yes, he's fluffed his lines at times when he's had the chance, but you can see that there's ability in there somewhere. At times, his first touch has been absolutely sublime, and the reports we heard from the way he was training in pre-season were very encouraging. Let's not forget he has scored this season.

The way people have jumped on his back remind me of a certain Chris Baird, who's turned out alright hasn't he? Even @Srg and @B4ev6is have acknowledged his improvement. Baird serves to demonstrate what a run in the team and a lucky break can do for a player, so why haven't we learnt from this? It sickens me when I see fans rubbishing Blackman and implying that he's the worst player of all time when he's barely been given a chance. For me, any player in that Derby shirt, as long as they put the effort in, deserves 100% of our support. 

I for one am looking forward to seeing if he can stake a claim for a spot in the team, as he seems excited to be back. I will give him all my support whilst he remains a Derby player. 

Up the Rams.

I hope you are right, i would love to be proven wrong, i dont think he will ever be a success at Derby but it would be a plus if he was. I just feel despite how we were playing either then or under pearson we would have seen something in 20 appearances to suggest he could be.

For me his signing and trying to shoehorn him in the team coincided with the decline. Not his fault, it was clements, he should have stuck with the same team that had got us top (even if not playing that well).

But you are right, he should be supported when playing fo derby, i hate it when players are booed just like BJ earlier this season.

I Can't really judge him fairly as I've not seen enough of him ,the one thing I would say though is the little sub cameo I saw him in live at the ground ( think it was reading away?) did nt impress me in terms of his attitude ,, he just strolled and to my mind seemed lazy and disinterested for me Mac would have to change that for him to get a run in the side and have any chance of getting the fans onside ,, for someone struggling to get in the side and getting on as a sub the min I would expect to see is them busting a gut to impress ,, that said we went through a spell where it seemed easy for any new player coming in to quickly become disenchanted with the club as a whole ,,, managerial and style changes , rumours of dressing room cliches and player power and fans very quick to get on the backs of new players replacing favourites so in essence I'm happy to keep an open mind with him until I see enough to make a fair judgement on him as a player at our club

Always happy to be proved wrong...

Difference being that Baird, Johnson ...were signings I liked at the time but then didn't seem to work out until recently and Mac's coaching.

Personally however I thought Blackman was a strange signing at the time. Nothing so far has changed my mind. Just don't see where he fits in and what I've seen hee and his carer to date suggests he isn't good enough..I really can't see it working out and that he will move on having been total flop. 

If this bites me on the bum, it means he's scoring goals. Win-win.

Lets see if Blackman can come good under Mac because he was Shiite under Clement, Wassall and Pearson....

As for Baird, he came as an experienced pro defender and could play various positions across the back, you cannot compare Baird signing with the Blackman one.

I would love to see Blackman do well but I have seen nothing to suggest he ever would and importantly his career shows nowhere enough goals from open play so it would be remarkable if he does start scoring remember form is temporary class is permanent we can only hope for some form from Blackman.

Baird was a hugely experienced defender so he can always do a job and Pearce has personal character to overcome frustrations and Johnson seems to have fallen on a new perfect position for himself in modern day football. 

The worst thing you can do to any human being is stay on their back. .. Fair critisism, objective analysis all very important. But harping on helps no one. 

I don't honestly think he's good enough (on what we've seen so far) but when you think of other players being off form and what that does to them, then there is time for redemption. One thing for sure, when / if he gets on the pitch he will my full support. 

I'm actually looking forward to seeing him getting a run in the side under McClaren either wide left or central.  He has pace, is very direct and has a good left foot. Definitely a confidence player who has had a bad start as a Ram - if he grabs a goal or two I honestly believe it will kickstart his time with us and become a fans favourite. Well I hope so anyway!!

If you look at stevie's interview on the Derby telegraph, seems he wants to use him at the focal point. Think he deserves a shot there as he prouduced his best spell of his career up front. 

I remember his goal for Reading against Hull it got me thinking he was a good player. Just like with Vydra and Bent, a goal will get him going and I do think all 3 of them have good ability. 

Blackman has the physical attributes too and I'm sure stevie will be getting him into shape to play no9 and focal point role. 

Hope he gets his chance and his goal. 

Archived