Nick Blackman - Let's give him a chance

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's got to show faith in his players. By doing this it will only build their confidence. I think Blackman out of the three is the best suited for the lone striker role. Think McLaren is having to use the players at his disposal but if we had an Andre grey etc we'd be challenging for top two at the end of the season. If Blackman can replicate last seasons scoring for reading we won't need a new striker. Let's see. We can't keep throwing money at it. Vydra and Blackman cost £11.5 m between them so we've got to make the most of them. 

Poor lad was requested by Clement by name as they'd worked together at youth level, promised he'd play up top then binned/benched and his reason for wanting to move sacked....

I think we paid to much for him, if he's on vastly inflated wages...not his fault...but, he's not really done much. 

There's flashes of ability so, like the OP, maybe..just maybe....

37 minutes ago, Tombo said:

McClaren says we should be alright for strikers, saying that we have Bent, Vydra and Blackman. If Mac considers him a viable option, I'm willing to see if he can pull yet another rabbit out of the hat. Trust the decision makers. 

Well he's not gonna say, 'oh god we've only got Bent who's able to score goals' is he?

I imagine it's to boost Blackman's confidence (or convince other teams he's a good buy) and to bluff Fulham that we're not gonna be held to ransom for Chrissy.

Blackman, barn door, 50 paces, couldn't hit, cows @rse with a banjo - there's a well known phrase or saying in there!

26 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Vydra out wide? It's obvious he can't play by himself in the central role like he did at Fulham....

I would go Ince, Bent and Camara as the front 3 v Brum...

If we are going done the route of three pace forwards, that all 3 play along the front line  - we need the midfielders to release the ball quicker and more accurately. We need to switch off this idea we can only play with a lump up front who holds the ball up - we don't. 

There's some right negative people on here. 

Pit wouldn't surprise me to see Blackman in the middle of three but eased in after his injury. I really hope he gets a goal to get his confidence up and kick on from there. 

Hes not suited to playing the wide position where he was deployed under previous managers.

36 minutes ago, toddy said:

If we are going done the route of three pace forwards, that all 3 play along the front line  - we need the midfielders to release the ball quicker and more accurately. We need to switch off this idea we can only play with a lump up front who holds the ball up - we don't. 

No we don't need a big lump. We need someone who can hold the ball up so the midfield can get forward without stretching the team and so they can makes passes through the opposition. 

Bent does it and then gets forward.

What we don't need is a tiny forward constantly looking for the end of the move before the move has even started. It doesn't matter how much he runs around or how fast he can run until he learns why Darren Bent is first choice then he will remain on the bench. 

Defenders aren't scared of fast runners. It's a myth created by media trained pundits who never did understand why AC Milan's "aging slow defence" had no trouble with Theo Walcott. 

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

McClaren says we should be alright for strikers, saying that we have Bent, Vydra and Blackman. If Mac considers him a viable option, I'm willing to see if he can pull yet another rabbit out of the hat. Trust the decision makers. 

I recommend not to familiarise yourself with cognitive biases :mellow:

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

No we don't need a big lump. We need someone who can hold the ball up so the midfield can get forward without stretching the team and so they can makes passes through the opposition. 

What we don't need is a tiny forward constantly looking for the end of the move before the move has even started. It doesn't matter how much he runs around or how fast he can run until he learns why Darren Bent is first choice then he will remain on the bench. 

Defenders aren't scared of fast runners. It's a myth created by media trained pundits who never did understand why AC Milan's "aging slow defence" had no trouble with Theo Walcott. 

That is the biggest lot of total bolloccks you have ever written.

Personally don't rate him as a Derby player. I'm not saying he's rubbish, but I don't think he fits what we need. 

That said, I'm more than happy for him to be given a second chance, as people have said he's never really had a proper chance.

Hopefully he proves me wrong and can bring something new to the table as Baird, Bent and Johnson have proved. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

No we don't need a big lump. We need someone who can hold the ball up so the midfield can get forward without stretching the team and so they can makes passes through the opposition

Yes in  a previous life, but as a club we are evolving and the last thing we need now is another holding CF. Mac has said that Vydra is the future..............

Martin was good at it for a few seasons, but become more unstuck when the opposition placed 2 CB's on him and also pressed our midfield.... Tommy Ince is scoring some very good goals without the addition of a Martin type needing to hold the ball up.

We could be evolving into a pacey midfield and pacey front three, a front 3 that does not play in set positions up front, a front 3 that is allowed to run the channels as and when they see fit. A front 3 that will constantly making diagonal runs, dragging oppositions CB's all over the place, this in turn opens up spaces for the others to get behind.

Making 3 pacey front runners that are feed by an accurate midfield passing is a nightmare for CB's to mark, as most CB's lack their pace and foot work skill.

Just to chip on the Vydra thing where Mac said he was "the future". To me, that translates as, "he's not playing but I don't want to switch the lad off completely". I'd love him to make me eat my words, but he'll never play centre forward in this team with regularity.

Blackman has shown nothing, absolutely nothing, since he got here...but he's got more chance of making it work and playing up top than Vydra has. I'd give him one chance in 10 of a Teale style revival and becoming a revelation. or in other words, I'm 90% sure he was a waste of money too.

Couldn't agree more with the original post. There's an absolutely fantastic player in there somewhere, just needs the right manager to unlock his confidence. Mac has proven he can do this with players (see Ince) so there's no reason he can't do it with Blackman.

Plus, the guy had proven he wants to integrate into the team. He's desperate for a chance to impress, and has been doing pretty much everything he can (off the field) to impress Derby fans. That Nick's kits thing is bloody fantastic. Can't remember the last Derby player to do something like that? Especially one who gets (wrongfully) canned by a lot of our fans.

Let's get behind him. He could contribute 15+ goals for us if Mac can get him playing.

Last point: He played his best football as a wide player of a front three, despite what the DET keeps wanting to tell you. Ask any Reading fan that. Got virtually all his goals playing wide right with Vydra/Robson-Kanu in the centre. Sometimes wide left. There's a place for a goal-scoring wide player in this side! 

Archived