Clough and Burton

Ramz64

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think Fawaz will be gone soon anyway.

And that's Nigel's problem, if he's got any sense.

In football as a manager you're always working for a fruitcake - no doubt to some Ben Robinson is bonkers, wanting to run his club within its means, refusing to splash out and take a risk. Fawaz is just a different type of fruitcake and there's great opportunity for a new manager in there being no CEO and no structure cos you can make it up to suit your own aims.

The problem for Nigel is what happens when new owners come along who want their own guy - as happened to him at Derby, to Rowett at Brum and lots of others. That's the danger period.

He could make a good go at stabilising the red dogs but whatever he does they'll still need substantial financial backing to stay afloat and whether Fawaz will wait that long is anyone's guess 

51 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't understand their thinking. Why go for Clough when it's obvious their immediate aim (next season) is promotion?

If they wanted to go down the 'build a club' route, why did they sack Pearce... Or even Montanier? Both of those managers placed a lot of trust in the club's younger players.

Bizarre.

Fawaz has said Montainier wasn't his choice for manager.

Remember what Nigel said about Sam Rush recently?

“We didn’t know him but people said be very careful. One even said ‘the ego has landed!’

“That’s what someone within football told us.”

You have to wonder what those same people are saying about Fawaz. 

the flip side of the "Nigel would be mad to go there" argument is that of course, no other owner might be mad enough to let Nigel near the job.

Nigel's stock isn't very high at the moment, and with whimpering relegation looming, his reputation won't get any better.

This could be his only chance to manage them.

all this talk about how he would be "mad to take it" etc is just plain rubbish..... we have all worked for a boss that is a bit of a fool but if they pay you well who cares...?

and realistically the Forest job is the biggest job Nigel is ever going to be offered so why not take it..? Unfortunately he is the perfect manager for that job at the moment, he will stabilize them totally..

I remember something similar when Rowett went to Birmingham. Looked a dodgy move at the time but he came out of it smelling of roses!

Obviously, with NC, our fans' emotions are raised, depending which side of the Clough fence you're on.

I can see why he would take it and also why he wouldn't. I guess there's no "right" answer, only time will tell. Being manager of Burton in the Championship would be a big ask for anyone.

Of course, if he goes, I will have to wish him all the worst until he moves Clubs again:)

Wish Clough all the best. Did a great job for us in difficult circumstances. He's the right man for Forest in their current predicament. And with him in charge of the red dogs, we don't have to worry about them being genuine competition anytime soon as we all know mid table championship is Nigel's maximum level.

All depends on whether nigel is ambitious, loyal or burned out.

50:50

But the timing is poor by fawaz. Deliberately missing the transfer window?

Archived