Clough and Burton

Ramz64

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

So the name of the thread (clough and burton) have taken 4 points from us this season and kept 2 clean sheets. 

Clough should still be derby manager and we'd be half way up the premiership now and nobody can say otherwise because we've proven to be a failure having invest 150 million and still being in the same position. 

If if clough had that investment we'd be laughing. 

No wonder this threads quiet  

We wouldn't be half way up the premiership now.

And?

20 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

So the name of the thread (clough and burton) have taken 4 points from us this season and kept 2 clean sheets. 

Clough should still be derby manager and we'd be half way up the premiership now and nobody can say otherwise because we've proven to be a failure having invest 150 million and still being in the same position. 

Never in a month of Sundays would we be in the PL - still in the Championship, playing sterile football to 18-20,000.

He did what needed to be done at the time and did it as well as anyone could have hoped for but no way would he have got us promoted.

Did anyone work out where Andy Garner got his £150m spend figure from? 

21 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

No clueless NLN would take us to mid table to bottom 4 in Non league... Clueless manager. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Never in a month of Sundays would we be in the PL - still in the Championship, playing sterile football to 18-20,000.

He did what needed to be done at the time and did it as well as anyone could have hoped for but no way would he have got us promoted.

Did anyone work out where Andy Garner got his £150m spend figure from? 

Mel's invested about £100,000,000 in the academy I think it was revealed

On 22/02/2017 at 02:50, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

Deluded. And you accuse another poster of having no knowledge of football.

This thread is probably quiet because the whole argument had been done to death.

It's only really been re-awoken by your silly claims that (a) nobody could argue we would be mid-table Prem and (b) we have spent £150m

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You've never even come close to some of the silly claims @CLOUGH1971-72 is coming out with.

Give me chance it's only Thursday!

After yesterday I did have a quick search as I didn't recognise the username, at first I thought it was a banned member returning.

98% of posts are Clough related, be it Nigel or Brian. Suddenly it made perfect sense.

I must have been caught up with the Clough "haters" as I held the opinion we were right to replace him. I don't "hate" the bloke at all, even my strong dislike for Robbie Savage doesn't step into hatred.

I understand the Clough history, even why Ronnie jumps on to defend him. I don't understand why it's not ok to simply not rate him as a manager, not saying he's bad manager, I didn't find the football entertaining and the frustrated by the negativity.

Just a personal opinion, struggle to see how that could stop any member posting on here, not like I'm on my own with it. Say there's far more vocal than myself on this but hey ho.

31 minutes ago, David said:

Give me chance it's only Thursday!

After yesterday I did have a quick search as I didn't recognise the username, at first I thought it was a banned member returning.

98% of posts are Clough related, be it Nigel or Brian. Suddenly it made perfect sense.

I must have been caught up with the Clough "haters" as I held the opinion we were right to replace him. I don't "hate" the bloke at all, even my strong dislike for Robbie Savage doesn't step into hatred.

I understand the Clough history, even why Ronnie jumps on to defend him. I don't understand why it's not ok to simply not rate him as a manager, not saying he's bad manager, I didn't find the football entertaining and the frustrated by the negativity.

Just a personal opinion, struggle to see how that could stop any member posting on here, not like I'm on my own with it. Say there's far more vocal than myself on this but hey ho.

I'd agree with you there David. it is OK to not rate him.

That's probably why you and me have had very few "direct" confrontations, with you only ever really getting involved in your role as board owner.

You and a few others have a way of making it clear you don't rate him without throwing around **** tags like clueless, classless and NLN.

I don't give a monkeys if someone doesn't rate him, their prerogative.

What I've got a strong dislike for is the numpties who pull his character apart to make a point and/or the numpties who seem to hate him for destroying Derby County when there are others who've done actual damage to the club and not just imaginary.

Don't think I've ever seen one person say Nigel destroyed the club. 

Guilty of a Non League Nigel thread a few weeks back during the Forest speculation although that was for our resident Reds that gave him the nickname. Fun and games over anything personal.

Can't speak for everyone but quite a few clueless and NLN comments are probably from boredom of this Groundhog Day topic. 

I'm sure if Burton stay up we'll have another 2 rounds next season

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

WARNING!!!!

The link contains a nice article which is an interview with Shaun Barker on his recovery and his return to playing.

Don't read it if you're not interested.

Thought most of you might like to read how Barks is getting on these days.

https://mattyroper.wordpress.com/2017/03/02/exclusive-interview-perseverance-pays-off-for-barker/

A lovely read and gives a good insight into what man management is all about.

On 2.3.2017 at 21:56, ronnieronalde said:

WARNING!!!!

The link contains a nice article which is an interview with Shaun Barker on his recovery and his return to playing.

Don't read it if you're not interested.

Thought most of you might like to read how Barks is getting on these days.

https://mattyroper.wordpress.com/2017/03/02/exclusive-interview-perseverance-pays-off-for-barker/

Unbelievable achievement. Another 8 op's and he'll be like me... When I saw him play after the injury, I was in tears.... Nothing but respect.

I love Nigel Clough. Proper blokes bloke who did underrated work at our club. A man who is loyal to the core and had honest and good intentions unlike many other people who have been and are employed by Derby, McClaren being a good example.

I really hope he keeps Burton up (I think he will).

For me, I have always liked Burton and I think that Clough is suited to them.

That said, I found it hard to enjoy the football he served up at Derby.  Far too often, at home, he played to not lose or to win by an odd goal.  (Take the lead and then retreat into our own half).

It was that negative mindset that made it so challenging to enjoy.  Winning and coming away with no sense of achievement was dull and losing had me wondering why the hell I bothered going in the first place.

Whilst I never called him, the point I really thought he had to go was the game against Blackburn on the first game of the season he was sacked. Took the lead, Blackburn on the ropes without any answers and we just retreat and finally give them a last minute (Leon Best!) goal. After that, I knew we'd have been looking at another 10th to 14th place in the table.

When Burton came to Pride Park, seeing their "anti-football" emphasised  how much more enjoyable it has been without Clough.  (I do appreciate that with the resources he has at Burton, that is their best chance of getting points, but it was turgid.)

4 hours ago, maydrakin said:

For me, I have always liked Burton and I think that Clough is suited to them.

That said, I found it hard to enjoy the football he served up at Derby.  Far too often, at home, he played to not lose or to win by an odd goal.  (Take the lead and then retreat into our own half).

It was that negative mindset that made it so challenging to enjoy.  Winning and coming away with no sense of achievement was dull and losing had me wondering why the hell I bothered going in the first place.

Whilst I never called him, the point I really thought he had to go was the game against Blackburn on the first game of the season he was sacked. Took the lead, Blackburn on the ropes without any answers and we just retreat and finally give them a last minute (Leon Best!) goal. After that, I knew we'd have been looking at another 10th to 14th place in the table.

When Burton came to Pride Park, seeing their "anti-football" emphasised  how much more enjoyable it has been without Clough.  (I do appreciate that with the resources he has at Burton, that is their best chance of getting points, but it was turgid.)

I won't disagree with the sentiments in your posts maydrakin and my response is aimed at football as a whole and not you saying NC is negative.

BUT if I could ban two words or phrases from football it would be turgid AND anti football. A load of codswallop introduced to the game by the "super" pundits who are only on the tele cos they can't get or keep a job. Or attention seeking fans from overseas who only ever either watch online or use stats to judge.

I see the word turgid bandied around by loads of people these days, people who can't enjoy a nil-nil or recognise when a team might need to scrap for their lives to get a point or 3. Nowt wrong with proper battling football.

I'll tell you what is turgid. Watching a team with 80% possession pass the ball 76 times across their own half before advancing 3 metres and starting again.

5 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Trust me, there is a lot more "pro" than "anti-football" at the Pirelli than some would have you believe, even with the limited resources

Archived