Clough and Burton

Ramz64

9 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'll tell you what is turgid. Watching a team with 80% possession pass the ball 76 times across their own half before advancing 3 metres and starting again.

I agree.  Which is exactly why I wasn't shedding any tears when Clement left.  The drive to keep the ball at all costs was not good to watch.  When faced with a 75% chance of putting someone through on goal or keeping possession by going back to the centre back, choosing to take the back pass is frustrating to watch.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Pearson said:

Trust me, there is a lot more "pro" than "anti-football" at the Pirelli than some would have you believe, even with the limited resources

I generally go by what I see, and I have only seen two Burton games this season.  Neither were pretty to watch.

However, the same goes about Derby in those two fixtures as well though, so I can believe your view to be correct.  I just haven't seen evidence myself...

Sith Happens

Great result today...im sure @ronnieronalde is a happy bunny tonight.

I am not all doom and gloom as some about Derby but have to say 11 points difference between the two clubs considering the money spent is a fantastic current acheivement for Burton. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not good results for Forest today.

Then again, they have us coming up this weekend so we will no doubt aid their fight against the drop.

I guess burton beating both forest and Derby this season will give Clough real satisfaction. Finishing ahead of forest even more so. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 20:42, CumbrianRam said:

3-1 up at halftime at home. lose 3-5 at FT, will go down to the wire between them Blackburn, Forest and Bristol City

I still think Birmingham will get dragged into it as well Cumbrian.

Poor result though, really tough to take.

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I still think Birmingham will get dragged into it as well Cumbrian.

Poor result though, really tough to take.

Yeah, they are dropping like a stone, if Burton held on Sat I'd have had them staying up but losses like that can scar a team.

I thought Blackburn would go but their change in manager has had a positive effect.

Forest could well improve under Warburton while Bristol City I believe are in a bit of a false position and have the tools to get out of it.

Burton's best chance of survival was having 3 rubbish teams down there. It's happened in the past where the relegated teams all failed to breach the 42 point mark. 

I can't see that happening this season. Rotherham are woeful, Wigan are doomed but I dont see a really poor 3rd team.

I reckon Burton may end up dropping down even if they hit 50 points

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-gary-rowett-will-always-be-grateful-to-nigel-clough-here-s-why/story-30227886-detail/story.html#Pqk3jg1yOIitWEjA.99

Nice article/interview with Gary.

It's going to be really interesting to see if the two clubs can (re)build the bonds and relationships that were in place beofre. There's clearly a lot of mutual respect (friendship?) between the two managers, probably even mutual respect at boardroom level, just the Rush/Clough history spoils it a touch.

Would be really useful for Burton to be able to borrow a player every now and then and for Derby to be able take a loan or two from the Brewers if needed ;-)

If the two managers want to work together then I can't see why bridges can't start to be re-built. Time is a very good healer.

We already gave them 4 points this season to help stay up, I see no reason to help them more with players.

In all seriousness if Burton have any ambition of establishing themselves in this league they shouldn't be looking to become a feeder club from another Championship side. 

Saying that they found a gem in Woodrow, could do with him next season if Fulham go up should be knocking on Chelsea and Arsenal doors as well

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-gary-rowett-will-always-be-grateful-to-nigel-clough-here-s-why/story-30227886-detail/story.html#Pqk3jg1yOIitWEjA.99

Nice article/interview with Gary.

It's going to be really interesting to see if the two clubs can (re)build the bonds and relationships that were in place beofre. There's clearly a lot of mutual respect (friendship?) between the two managers, probably even mutual respect at boardroom level, just the Rush/Clough history spoils it a touch.

Would be really useful for Burton to be able to borrow a player every now and then and for Derby to be able take a loan or two from the Brewers if needed ;-)

If the two managers want to work together then I can't see why bridges can't start to be re-built. Time is a very good healer.

Think Burton should have bigger aspirations than that.

They should see Derby as rivals, not as friends.

Likewise Derby should not be looking on Burton as their little brother, more as rivals who took 5 points off them this season!

If he keeps them up and if he stays around, I've no doubt NC will build a competitive squad that will improve again.

So far this season Burton's loans have come from Tottenham, Leicester, Burnley, Brighton, Leeds, Fulham and Sheffield United. It's not so much about seeing Derby as a big brother but the reality is, Derby are a top 6 club in all but league position (I know how daft that sounds), they've got a better than top 6 squad but it's also a squad heavy on numbers and some of those fringe players might want/need to get out to play some games next year.

I could see the Brewers getting an established foothold in the championship but pretty much everyone will know that NC will build things gradually. They'll be a bottom 6 club for two seasons at least, then they'll be a bottom half club, then hopefully keep progressing. To be seen as the rivals of Derby is and rightly so, quite a way down the road.

To be able to call on an experienced loan from a pal of yours when you need someone to come in and have an impact, can't be a bad thing. There's got to be a strong likelihood there will be players Gary can't shift that won't be in his immediate plans

A move that would/could suit all parties, no need for the player to move, top notch training facilities, everyone's a winner.

46 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

If he keeps them up and if he stays around, I've no doubt NC will build a competitive squad that will improve again.

So far this season Burton's loans have come from Tottenham, Leicester, Burnley, Brighton, Leeds, Fulham and Sheffield United. It's not so much about seeing Derby as a big brother but the reality is, Derby are a top 6 club in all but league position (I know how daft that sounds), they've got a better than top 6 squad but it's also a squad heavy on numbers and some of those fringe players might want/need to get out to play some games next year.

I could see the Brewers getting an established foothold in the championship but pretty much everyone will know that NC will build things gradually. They'll be a bottom 6 club for two seasons at least, then they'll be a bottom half club, then hopefully keep progressing. To be seen as the rivals of Derby is and rightly so, quite a way down the road.

To be able to call on an experienced loan from a pal of yours when you need someone to come in and have an impact, can't be a bad thing. There's got to be a strong likelihood there will be players Gary can't shift that won't be in his immediate plans

A move that would/could suit all parties, no need for the player to move, top notch training facilities, everyone's a winner.

Ok, any chance of starting with Blackman and Camara? 

Yeah great win.

This is no dig, but when was the last time a Nigel Clough side won away from home by scoring a winning goal in the last five minutes of the match? @ronnieronalde

Very unlike NC. Usually his sides settle for a point which is understandable when you're the underdog in pretty much every away game so a draw would be deemed a decent result.

17 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yeah great win.

This is no dig, but when was the last time a Nigel Clough side won away from home by scoring a winning goal in the last five minutes of the match? @ronnieronalde

Very unlike NC. Usually his sides settle for a point which is understandable when you're the underdog in pretty much every away game so a draw would be deemed a decent result.

It's a fair question @Bris Vegas and one I'm struggling to answer.

This season I can only think of late goals getting points. At Blackburn and Wolves for a 1-1. I'll have a look back at last season and then go back to the Blades. Off the top of my head, I can't remember an away win like that last season either. At home v Gillingham stands out.

One thing is pretty clear. It doesn't happen very often. Especially when he's fighting for points to keep a side up.

This Burton side are no mugs though Bris with only 2 defeats in the last 10, 3 wins and 4 draws. It shows he's got them battling Some of the wins have been down to real quality goals, most of the draws down to really backs to the wall defending, not taking too many risks but causing problems when they can.

Cracking win though and really gives the Brewers more than a fighting chance of staying up. Like I said, he's got them playing solidly, very solidly in fact and then they look to break with quality and speed on the counter when they can, they don't deserve to go down.

Jackson Irvine continues to have an unbelievable effect on games, I really hope he doesn't have a minimum release clause.

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

It's a fair question @Bris Vegas and one I'm struggling to answer.

This season I can only think of late goals getting points. At Blackburn and Wolves for a 1-1. I'll have a look back at last season and then go back to the Blades. Off the top of my head, I can't remember an away win like that last season either. At home v Gillingham stands out.

One thing is pretty clear. It doesn't happen very often. Especially when he's fighting for points to keep a side up.

This Burton side are no mugs though Bris with only 2 defeats in the last 10, 3 wins and 4 draws. It shows he's got them battling Some of the wins have been down to real quality goals, most of the draws down to really backs to the wall defending, not taking too many risks but causing problems when they can.

Cracking win though and really gives the Brewers more than a fighting chance of staying up. Like I said, he's got them playing solidly, very solidly in fact and then they look to break with quality and speed on the counter when they can, they don't deserve to go down.

Jackson Irvine continues to have an unbelievable effect on games, I really hope he doesn't have a minimum release clause.

That good? He has been very impressive every time I've seen him. Really stands out.

4 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

This season I can only think of late goals getting points.

Burton 1-0 Forest, Woodrow 26'

Sheff Wed 1-1 Burton, Irvine 24' (equaliser)

Burton 2-1 Norwich, Woodrow 25', Kightly 56'

That's just March, February. Whilst it's not 5 minutes like Bris was asking, I don't know many teams that have scored within 5 and gone on to win. 

I consider anything under 60 minutes to be not late goals, that still gives you 30 minutes to defend your arses off.

I can be critical of Clough and Burton all day long but not on this 

Archived