Clough and Burton

Ramz64

Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

I say "along those lines because I cannot say the actual quote without 100% certainty, but what I can say for certain is that he said that he tried to build it and that now we try and buy it.

So you're not 100% certain he said "buy it" but are certain he said he tried to build it and now we try and buy it? I'm confused.

I don't recall hearing or seeing him quoted as saying we are tryin to buy it. He did comment about how much we have spent in comparison to their resources, fair comment for any manager where there is such a difference.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, davenportram said:

So you're not 100% certain he said "buy it" but are certain he said he tried to build it and now we try and buy it? I'm confused.

I don't recall hearing or seeing him quoted as saying we are tryin to buy it. He did comment about how much we have spent in comparison to their resources, fair comment for any manager where there is such a difference.

No I'm not 100% certain of the whole quote, in terms of the minor irrelevant points. The key words he said were how he was "building" something but now we're "buying" something. If I could get the interview up I could, it was the pre match one live on Sky. Trust me, it's not something I would make up as I had previously respected him rather a lot.

2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

No I'm not 100% certain of the whole quote, in terms of the minor irrelevant points. The key words he said were how he was "building" something but now we're "buying" something. If I could get the interview up I could, it was the pre match one live on Sky. Trust me, it's not something I would make up as I had previously respected him rather a lot.

I've just read through some of the comments on the match day thread on here and not seen it mentioned on in there, surprising no one picked up on it at the time (although I've not read the whole thread)

5 minutes ago, davenportram said:

I've just read through some of the comments on the match day thread on here and not seen it mentioned on in there, surprising no one picked up on it at the time (although I've not read the whole thread)

First of all, I'd like to point this out; it's not the quote I'm talking about but it conveys a sense of bitterness:

image.jpeg

Next, these are forum members talking about his pre match comments on Sky:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And finally, many thanks to @Kernow for mentioning the quote that I've been telling you about:

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Just looked on Wiki to refresh my memory of him (thought he'd played more for us than he did). Anyway, the "style of play" bit made me chuckle. Not exactly a glowing reference...

Varney can play as a winger or a centre forward. Not naturally gifted with the ball at his feet, and lacking a decent first touch, balance and the ability to finish, his style of play generally involves winning headers and hassling opposition defenders to create openings for his strike partner. Simulation is also a big part of his game

They missed out the bit about how dirty he is. He was full of those dirty little taps, scrapes and treading on toes. All stuff that wouldn't get him a yellow card but would make you start considering whether a red card would be a small cost for just one finely executed two footed lunge. To the his neck.

Remember Nige playing Varney at right back at one point. He just didn't want him regardless of any extra payments. Funny how he is now signing him as a saviour and Varney is actually happy to sign. Well, not that he looks too happy.

As for Burton I hope they go down. I've lived there about 15 years and they were my second team for years but I dislike Nigel with a passion. Even back to his previous Burton stint. Also been really annoyed by their fans moaning and badmouthing us. Was all pleasant interaction until this season and now suddenly they're turned into a bunch of nobwands. So for that reason aswell I hope they fail miserably and end up sliding back down to the conference now.

6 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Exactly, you've just proved my point! He goes on about teams with money yet he's proven to himself that he can get good players without spending money, so why bother moaning? I used to respect Nigel for what he did for Derby but I lost that after his comments before their game against us.

Those comments were taken grossly out of context.

On 04/01/2017 at 20:06, BurtonRam7 said:

First of all, I'd like to point this out; it's not the quote I'm talking about but it conveys a sense of bitterness:

image.jpeg

Next, these are forum members talking about his pre match comments on Sky:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And finally, many thanks to @Kernow for mentioning the quote that I've been telling you about:

image.jpeg

I never said there wasn't bitterness, just that I didn't remember seeing him quoted it hearing him say we were buying it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 January 2017 at 19:41, davenportram said:

He said, "we were trying to build something whereas now they seem to be trying to buy something".

(dunno wny i'm joining in though, as i'm not really that interested)

Not ideal Ward going back. With Varney out injured the options are back to O'Grady and Sordell and it's back to looking short up front.

Can't understand why he's gone back really. Him and NC have always had a great relationship, so unless somethings has kicked off or he's got a permanent deal lined up elsewhere, then it's a strange one.

He was playing quite well at Burton and nicking the occasional goal. If fit he played. Maybe he was struggling to get himself going playing in front of 4,000 fans but he was playing regular first team football, no real point looking elsewhere.

Part of me is worried that NC might be going back to Forest and he wanted Jamie there with him. I'd be a bit shocked and a little bit gutted if he went there under Fawaz's ownership and if he left Burton so close to the bottom 4.

I think he's a bit more loyal than that and am fairly hopeful it's just me reading between the lines and coming up with rubbish.

Ward going back has made an already tough job staying up suddenly look a lot tougher.

11 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Not ideal Ward going back. With Varney out injured the options are back to O'Grady and Sordell and it's back to looking short up front.

Can't understand why he's gone back really. Him and NC have always had a great relationship, so unless somethings has kicked off or he's got a permanent deal lined up elsewhere, then it's a strange one.

He was playing quite well at Burton and nicking the occasional goal. If fit he played. Maybe he was struggling to get himself going playing in front of 4,000 fans but he was playing regular first team football, no real point looking elsewhere.

Part of me is worried that NC might be going back to Forest and he wanted Jamie there with him. I'd be a bit shocked and a little bit gutted if he went there under Fawaz's ownership and if he left Burton so close to the bottom 4.

I think he's a bit more loyal than that and am fairly hopeful it's just me reading between the lines and coming up with rubbish.

Ward going back has made an already tough job staying up suddenly look a lot tougher.

I would be very surprised if clough acted in such an underhand manner to send him back for his own reasons while still manager of Burton.

Ward clearly has been given some incentive of first team football for Forest and also playing in front of a close on half empty stadium at Forest may be better than a 1/4 empty one at Burton.

Maybe the wages freed up give Burton an option to get someone else in, it is said to be in the interest of all 3 parties, although if Ward has really stressed he wants to return its in no ones interest to make him stay (Fulham should take note maybe).

Maybe Ward will live to regret it, maybe a contract could have been on the cards had he stayed at Burton if they stayed up. Maybe he will be playing League one with Forest next season.

Fingers crossed Burton can still stay up.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I would be very surprised if clough acted in such an underhand manner to send him back for his own reasons while still manager of Burton.

Ward clearly has been given some incentive of first team football for Forest and also playing in front of a close on half empty stadium at Forest may be better than a 1/4 empty one at Burton.

Maybe the wages freed up give Burton an option to get someone else in, it is said to be in the interest of all 3 parties, although if Ward has really stressed he wants to return its in no ones interest to make him stay (Fulham should take note maybe).

Maybe Ward will live to regret it, maybe a contract could have been on the cards had he stayed at Burton if they stayed up. Maybe he will be playing League one with Forest next season.

Fingers crossed Burton can still stay up.

Didn't think for one second it would be underhand.

It just started running through my mind that maybe he's agreed a deal to go, Fawaz has agreed comp package with Ben and part of that agreement was to let Jamie go.

As I said Paul, it's almost certainly total waffle from me ;-)

Archived