Derby vs Norwich - matchday thread.

Rev

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Haven't all the teams we've played been above us until Saturday. His first game was Leeds. They're a point behind Norwich. Sheffield Wednesday 2 points

Sure. But Everyone was above us so that's not a good measure. We were close to bottom on account of momentous bungling by the manager. Leeds huddersfield and sheff Wed are not good teams sorry to break the news, the good teams we've played are:

newcastle

villa (v good players but not putting it together)

brighton 

liverpool in the cup, and now Norwich

Good teams to me are teams that could cause some trouble in the premier league ... reading are a decent side too more due to the style of play their jaap Stam has instilled than to the quality of players.

So we will see Saturday ... against a strong but stuttering team

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Sure. But Everyone was above us so that's not a good measure. We were close to bottom on account of momentous bungling by the manager. Leeds huddersfield and sheff Wed are not good teams sorry to break the news, the good teams we've played are:

newcastle

brighton 

Good teams to me are teams that could cause some trouble in the premier league ... reading are a decent side too more due to the style of play their jaap Stam has instilled than to the quality of players.

I agree that we have looked good against poor teams. I think the important thing is that the players have gained confidence from those wins.

Just a few weeks ago, nobody wanted the ball. Now there's a willingness to try a few things. Hughes had his mojo back and Butterfield has added a final ball to his armoury.

Norwich will be a tougher test but at least they will be facing a side that wants to attack.

My concern is how we defend against constant pressure. That's not a criticism of the defence. Sometimes we lose shape as a team and that creates space.

If SM and co can sort that, then I think a few January signings will put us in good stead for 2017.

44 minutes ago, Ninos said:

newcastle

brighton 

So you ignore league position and form and base it on the teams you rate? 

Good teams to you are teams that could cause problems in the PL? Villa and Norwich were relegated. Villa easily.

Reading are a good side (on 31 points) but Huddersfield (29) and Leeds (26) aren't. Neither are play off finalists Sheffield Wednesday (25 points). Reading finished 17th last season so if you're not basing it on current standings then what are you basing it on?

In fact, you don't base a "good team" on league position, form or the previous season achievements. You base it on whether you think they'd do well in the PL? 

It's a bit like your opinion on players like Butterfield and Martin. You don't base it on stats or what they do on the pitch. But what a player you imagine playing would be doing. 

Same old :lol:

Can see both sides of this argument ,if I'm right the rating of Norwich being a tougher test for us is based on what they are capable of if they are firing right and we kinda want to see how an on song Derby stack up against a side like Norwich if they are also on song on the day? We know to our cost in this division that if we are on an off day most sides can and do beat us ,,, I believe that when we are firing right there only really Newcastle that can live with us perhaps villa if they get it right , I think the rest we batter ,Brighton included ,,,, we have nothing to fear but ourselves , we need to prepare properly and turn up for every game producing or best or somewhere around it and that will easily take us play offs minimum

Rotherham had the leakiest defense in the division prior to the game on Saturday, even though we played very well and completely dominated them, it will be a test for us against a good Norwich side that is current lacking confidence.

Us on form them on poor form its got to be a win, not an easy win but a win nether the less.

COYR

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

So you ignore league position and form and base it on the teams you rate? 

Good teams to you are teams that could cause problems in the PL? Villa and Norwich were relegated. Villa easily.

Reading are a good side (on 31 points) but Huddersfield (29) and Leeds (26) aren't. Neither are play off finalists Sheffield Wednesday (25 points). Reading finished 17th last season so if you're not basing it on current standings then what are you basing it on?

In fact, you don't base a "good team" on league position, form or the previous season achievements. You base it on whether you think they'd do well in the PL? 

It's a bit like your opinion on players like Butterfield and Martin. You don't base it on stats or what they do on the pitch. But what a player you imagine playing would be doing. 

Same old :lol:

Brilliant post lol. ????

Looking and comparing various statistics in performance this season, Norwich and Derby are very similar sides with not much between them. It's important to distinguish between form and ability; boith Derby and Norwich are very capable sides in this division and whilst our recent form is good, their's is on a dip. Also, in beating Rovrum last week (who have structural issues in midfield and defence) we were sloppy at times in front of our defence; we gave some ball away which sides with pedigree will punish. So, we are not as polished (yet!) as we need to be. Norwich will be lifted by the anticipation of a big crowd / big game atmosphere and the need to up their game, so I expect a tough game with not much between the sides. I'm going for a 1-1 or a 2-2. That will be okay because I believe both sides will be top 6 come late April. Derby do need to win this outright as it does lay down a big fat marker, but I don't think we have quite the steel or appetite yet. Longer term, it may do us good not to win, just to peg us down to earth a little.

Yep Ellafella .. That's my feeling too. I really hope we win and win well but at a certain point, realism has to play its part in my happy clappy football world ( I am cautious and risk averse by nature but for some reason where football is concerned I always see the bright side of life ) .. Will be thinking we can win this but when it's 2-2 and the whistle blows .. I'll be thinking not bad lads, reality check. One more point etc etc 

BUT .. I can't consider losing to anyone in our division, at home, before the ball has been kicked; that's just somehow not right as a fan.

AND.. Wouldn't you just love it if either ex canaries Bent and Johnson got on the score sheet ..the thought of  that sort of  icing makes Saturday's great. 

33 minutes ago, jono said:

Yep Ellafella .. That's my feeling too. I really hope we win and win well but at a certain point, realism has to play its part in my happy clappy football world ( I am cautious and risk averse by nature but for some reason where football is concerned I always see the bright side of life ) .. Will be thinking we can win this but when it's 2-2 and the whistle blows .. I'll be thinking not bad lads, reality check. One more point etc etc 

BUT .. I can't consider losing to anyone in our division, at home, before the ball has been kicked; that's just somehow not right as a fan.

AND.. Wouldn't you just love it if either ex canaries Bent and Johnson got on the score sheet ..the thought of  that sort of  icing makes Saturday's great. 

We share very similar outlooks / views Jono.

The thing that is killing me right now is that I have to be in London for a 50th Birthday on Sat so my son gets my ticket gratis and I will be knocking about Soho hoping Her Indoors fails to notice the headphone that will be in my lug 'ole.

What a game to miss...I always like the way the green and yellow of Norwich is reflected in the floodlights. :(

1 hour ago, jono said:

Think bent himself missed the time he was a player for Norwich!

On 11/19/2016 at 21:26, Kernow said:

Definitely one we can win. They sit 6th, and a win would take us 1 point behind them. Although I doubt we'll be 1 point off the play-offs if we win this, it shows how close we are despite our bad start.

Our confidence is high, theirs is low. If a draw was offered for this one, I wouldn't take it.

My mentality has changed so much that it looks like a routine win for us. How has that come about? COYR

Archived