Random stuff that cheers me up thread

Stive Pesley

Really slow, attritional, safety-first play in cricket and snooker.

Alan Partridge goes freganing.

When one of your favourite songs is played on the radio.

Making oblique references to TV/music/films in conversation and the person you are with getting it.

When the air vents in your car all line up together perfectly.

Sometimes, mostly around this time of year when the sun is rising or setting and the sky looks like this:

o-AUTUMN-WEATHER-SEPT-3RD-facebook.jpg

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Making oblique references to TV/music/films in conversation and the person you are with getting it.

Sometimes, mostly around this time of year when the sun is rising or setting and the sky looks like this:

An egg in a sock?

Can't agree with the first one though. Attritional cricket?! No thanks. :p

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

But the attritional cricket has to be against top oposition .. I still remember the series against the Aussies in the 70's when Lillie and Thompson we blasting holes through everyone and along came David Steele who looked like a manager from Curries, played a straight bat and kept them out and took the edge off them. Some great tense matches. 

I'm a celebrity get me out of here has finished. If my partner ever leaves me, if I manage to get another then along with absolutely no facebook or twitter, i will make not watching this pile of cess also a stringent condition of our ongoing relationship.

Actually I got in two for one then. Something happy followed by a rant. I'm always doing that!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

EE customer helpline. Helping me to sort a problem with my email - offered to ring me back so I could speak to the same person rather than having to start my explanation again. Never had that before.

And they solved the problem too! 

Turn it off and on?

On 09/11/2016 at 16:01, StivePesley said:

I need to post something in here today to balance the general mood of despair

I had my 6 year olds Parents Evening on Monday and for the first time EVER (having two boys, one of whom has no left school) when discussing boys general difficulties with concentration and staying focussed in lessons, the teacher actually said

"but of course it's not just their fault, I realise it's also my responsibility to make the lessons engaging enough that they don't let their minds wander"

I nearly fell off the tiny ******* chair! It restored my faith to hear a teacher say that and not just slate the kids for being disruptive

Not knocking you mate but I think that's wrong. Children should do as they're told, it's all about rules and authority in my opinion. 

I was talking to a pretty young primary school teacher in the pub the other day, she was banging on about this disruptive lad and how the head gave her the afternoon off to go and play football with him on the yard 'to bond' 

I asked her if she thought it was a good idea "definitely, hopefully he respects me more now"

Schools are ran by wishy washy clowns nowadays, fooking birch rod em! 

6 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

Not knocking you mate but I think that's wrong. Children should do as they're told, it's all about rules and authority in my opinion. 

I was talking to a pretty young primary school teacher in the pub the other day, she was banging on about this disruptive lad and how the head gave her the afternoon off to go and play football with him on the yard 'to bond' 

I asked her if she thought it was a good idea "definitely, hopefully he respects me more now"

I agree in some respects, but do think in the past schools were to much the other way. Today teachers find it hard to reprimand kids, pandering to them is crazy, as you say they should do as they are told, in the circumstance above if the child is constantly disruptive it should involve a meeting with the parents to talk about how THEY are going to help resolve the matter...schools and teachers are not responsible for a childs behaviour, it starts at home. I know if i got a bollocking ay school i would get another one at home, not my mum and dad rushing off down to the school to ask how they dare reprimand me.

But i recall even when i was at school in the 70's and 80's how teachers were on the other end of how they treated kids...

I am colour blind and i remember vividly having the **** taken out of me by a teacher in front of the class when i was about 6 or 7 because my art work colours were all over the place..thanks for that there was an interest in one subject out the window so early. Ha imagine that happening now, and its a good thing it shouldnt.

When they started trying to get us to do 'joined up' writing when we would have been what about 8 because i struggled they just bollocked me for it and said i wasnt allowed to do it, yeah thanks that helped - arent you a teacher? well shouldnt you work with me so i can get it rather than just give up?

When i was about 6 complaining to the very strict teacher on our dinner table i felt unwell (she was one of those that made kids eat all their food, fair enough no problem with that) but she wouldnt listen and made me eat my food, i then proceeded to throw it all up ( i was ill of course not faking it) and did she apologise? i got the mother of all bollockings again...

So yeah its gone to far now in some instances, but it needed to go somewhere. I do agree with @StivePesley that it is a teachers job to handle all sorts of kids and make classes engaging, but yes teaching and learning is a two way thing.

Probably if 'some' teachers had been less sadistic and brutal in the past we wouldnt be in the mess we are now.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 08:56, Paul71 said:

So yeah its gone to far now in some instances, but it needed to go somewhere. I do agree with @StivePesley that it is a teachers job to handle all sorts of kids and make classes engaging, but yes teaching and learning is a two way thing.

Probably if 'some' teachers had been less sadistic and brutal in the past we wouldnt be in the mess we are now.

Exactly - that's what I meant. A two way thing. Teachers have as much responsibility to engage the kids and treat them with respect as the kids do to behave themselves.

Years of brutalist teaching methods, authoritarian cruelty and systematic abuse have indeed taken their toll. As @PrivateDerby post shows. I won't go on as this is the "cheer you up" thread.

On 17/12/2016 at 01:44, PrivateDerby said:

An aunt of mine many, many years ago, newly married, had 'rooms' at the property of a local titled gentleman. He came home one evening and said

"Mrs H, I was about to board a bus in Derby city centre when a woman accosted me and asked me if I'd be prepared to give a donation to the Howard League of Reform."

As he boarded the bus he said "Madam, I'd have them horse-whipped!"

The beatings will continue until morale is restored.:lol: