Derby County v Leeds United

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If you were the away side, had hit the post and the crossbar, out-shot the opposition 13 to 9 and worked the opposition goalkeeper into some good saves then you'd bemoan not getting a point.

Let's take the blinkers off for a second. Derby controlled possession, but Leeds had the better chances. Our goal came very much from nothing, it's not like it was well-worked or anything.

Leeds hit the post and the bar, and their centre-back really should have scored when hitting straight at Carson from eight yards out. 

I thought Derby played the more pleasing football of the two, and certainly dominated territory for 70 minutes. But aside from Vydra in the first half, we didn't create anything of note.

Vydra could have scored 3

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

He put a cross in with his right today and I nearly fell over in astonishment. 

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/12900/ikechi-anya/

http://www.futhead.com/16/players/6772/ikechi-anya/

http://www.futhead.com/15/players/9588/ikechi-anya/

http://www.futhead.com/14/players/3477/ikechi-anya/

FIFA doesn't have a clue, listed as right footed on 16 and 17, but left footed on 14 and 15.

There's a great player in Cyrus Christie, he just doesn't have any decision making ability, drives me mad.

Johnson, lowe, keogh, pearce all outstanding.

I thought we desperately needed our wide players to stay wide, Anya took himself out of the game way too often by tucking in instead of flags providing an option. 

Butterfield good, just takes an extra second.

But I loved it today, everyone was fighting for each other, and the crowd really responded, especially sticking up for Tom Ince and in the last 10 minutes.

Finally, good shout from McClaren to send the players to the south stand at the end.

Feels like a club united again!

Just got back from the game.

overall impression is this;

we miss (A) Thorne and (A) Martin.

But overall we were fine without being amazing. 

Ince wasn't great and hasn't been for a couple of years, but actually the chiding  about him seemed to work.

First half, our left side was great. Max Lowe especially.

Leeds were their normal agricultural selves. Which actually worked for them towards the end.

in denouement; we deserved the win.

but not amazing.

Our final attacking 3rd needs some better ideas

and hopefully SM can make that happen.

but at least we beat the Dirties.

Up the Rams

55 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Come on buddy, it was the correct decision. 

I really don't like the English culture of forever blaming referees or even commenting on them. Everybody seems to know them by name these days, I find that quite sad.

But reaching the stage of having a pop at officials for giving correct decisions. I don't get this attitude. 

I'm not singling you out by the way. Managers do it all the time, I find it really annoying.

I thought that the ref was very much ok today. A couple of people afterwards sad that he was favouring Leeds, but the offside was offside, and both bookings were warranted. I actually thought that Will was in danger of getting sent off with a couple of robust challenges after his booking, and that Keogh had a 'ball-to-hand' moment near the end - but both went in our favour.

27 minutes ago, Srg said:

You must be still drunk after last night's free bar.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

As an extremely left footed player, no thanks. I'd rather let McClaren just give Christie his confidence back. 

36 minutes ago, Srg said:

He is right footed mate but is very good with his weaker foot

1 hour ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Are you sure he's left footed, he seems genuinely two-footed to me.

Yep that's correct Saul, the transfer market site states that he is two-footed

22 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

The top comment on his FIFA 14 card from the Watford fan suggests that he is right footed but ea ballsed it up

17 minutes ago, eddie said:

I thought that the ref was very much ok today. A couple of people afterwards sad that he was favouring Leeds, but the offside was offside, and both bookings were warranted. I actually thought that Will was in danger of getting sent off with a couple of robust challenges after his booking, and that Keogh had a 'ball-to-hand' moment near the end - but both went in our favour.

And the challenge on Anya?

17 minutes ago, eddie said:

Will's defensive game changed after his yellow, noticeably, but offensively again he was immense, we need to get promotion either this year or next or we'll lose him. 

1 hour ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Thought we got extremely lucky today to be honest sure we played a 100% better than the crap under Pearson but on another day they'd of scored 2 goals after hitting bar and post with a bit more luck.

but can't complain brilliant result for us and what a strike to win it too can take the piss out of a work colleague all next week now :) 

Interested to know what games under Pearson you thought we played better than today?

My thoughts/ratings on the game

Carson. 7 No saves to make, but caught and punched crosses well.

Christie 5 Poor passes, kept running the ball out of play, his man got behind twice in the second half. Not helped by Ince

Lowe 6 Played the ball well but still has his old problem of players running off the back of him

Keogh 7 Made one mistake in the first half, solid in the second and brought the ball out well

Pearce 8 Won everything and his passing was better than usual,

Johnson 7 Still learning the role and needs to pass quicker, but broke up pay well and screened the CBs well

Hughes 7 With Butterfield ran the midfield first half, receycling possession but was in real danger of being sent off

Butterfield 7 One of better games for Derby, covered so much more ground, tidy passing. Ran out of steam second half

Ince 5 Poor. Completely exposes the full back. Hides from potential passes. Not a team performer.

Anya 6 Very busy, linked play well but didn't create anything

Vydra 6 Worked hard but needs to earn how to play on his own. When to come short, when to make runs behind

Thought we looked bright for 70 minutes without creating enough. We looked knackered in the last 20 minutes which shows how unfit we are. Our spine looked quite good but we looked weak down the flanks.The Ince/ Christie combo drove me mad. No support for each other. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

My thoughts/ratings on the game

Carson. 7 No saves to make, but caught and punched crosses well.

Christie 5 Poor passes, kept running the ball out of play, his man got behind twice in the second half. Not helped by Ince

Lowe 6 Played the ball well but still has his old problem of players running off the back of him

Keogh 7 Made one mistake in the first half, solid in the second and brought the ball out well

Pearce 8 Won everything and his passing was better than usual,

Johnson 7 Still learning the role and needs to pass quicker, but broke up pay well and screened the CBs well

Hughes 7 With Butterfield ran the midfield first half, receycling possession but was in real danger of being sent off

Butterfield 7 One of better games for Derby, covered so much more ground, tidy passing. Ran out of steam second half

Ince 5 Poor. Completely exposes the full back. Hides from potential passes. Not a team performer.

Anya 6 Very busy, linked play well but didn't create anything

Vydra 6 Worked hard but needs to earn how to play on his own. When to come short, when to make runs behind

Thought we looked bright for 70 minutes without creating enough. We looked knackered in the last 20 minutes which shows how unfit we are. Our spine looked quite good but we looked weak down the flanks.The Ince/ Christie combo drove me mad. No support for each other. 

Give Lowe a 7 and Ince a 6 and I think you're spot on.

Ince is hampered by the indecisive Christie for the most part, no co-incidence that he always looks better on the left.

Didn't go today expecting it all to click like he never left. Was very much what I expected and hoped for

Some moments of "oh God I've missed that". 

A boxer would call it putting punches in bunches. Very calm and laid back in possession and then a sudden interchange is the trigger for energy, aggression and minimal touches. Just like before.

I thought the tired legs came far too early from too many players. The excitement and pressure seemed to show. 

A few need to adjust more obviously but the great feeling today is that the players know what we're about and the fans know what we're about. 

You've not got Hughes and Bryson confused about why they're shielding a defence, you haven't got Ince failing to recognise the huge chasm he's supposed to be using to tie midfield to forwards. You haven't got little Vydra trying to outrun and bully huge defenders. You haven't got full backs who's instinct is to dribble and play just quickly sending the ball forward. And you have Butterfield in the middle with teammates in every direction.

Very well done to Bradley Johnson. Defensive midfield is an easy position if you have discipline and are basically the designated driver. Boring but vital. He made life easier for Hughes and Butterfield. He also grew in confidence and had his own moments to shine. His strength is in his battling and he did it well without glory hunting. Very well played. 

We can really build on this. The 3 points are a great bonus 

Carson 6, Cyrus 5, Keogh 6, Pearce 7, Lowe 7, Johnson 8, Hughes 7, Butterfield 7, Anya 6, Vydra 6, Ince 6

Archived