Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have him back. Could go either way though. Plenty to be worried about - he blows hot and cold from one appointment to the next. He's also terrible at picking up a team on a low. 

However - my inner romantic looks at people like Eddie Howe (and even Pearson at Leicester) that went back to an old club and did an outstanding job. Sometimes a club just fits. 

It's happening. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-talks-rejoin-derby-9028854

Steve McClaren in talks to rejoin Derby as head coach - but Chris Powell WILL be manager

Powell has been offered the manager's position after Nigel Pearson's departure - but ex-boss McClaren is set to return to offer a helping hand

Steve McClaren is in line for a return to Derby County as head coach.

Chris Powell has been offered the role of manager after it was confirmed on Saturday that Nigel Pearson had left the club.

But former boss McClaren, who left the club under a cloud to take over at Newcastle at the end of the 2014-15 season, has been asked to work alongside him and his position could be confirmed in the next 24 hours.

More talks are planned today but it is hoped all parties can reach an agreement.

McClaren, who also played for the Rams in the mid-80s, spent just under two years in charge at the iPro Stadium before he was sacked.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Totally agree, and would happily have him back. 

However, there will be a number of Derby fans who will question his loyalty right from the get go. That's what makes me think MM won't go for him. Powell an easier, less controversial option. 

Like I said though, I'd happily have him back. 

there's double-standards though. People wanting to poach Rowett, Warburton or Wagner from perceived 'lesser' clubs, yet slamming McClaren cos Newcastle wanted him and he was flattered!

Even more so, these people talk highly of Brian Clough, yet that traitor RESIGNED and went to FOREST! (and Leeds)

27 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Just been told by a mate he was there last night.  Don't know why people would rather stay there when Breadsall Priory is a couple of miles down the road, much nicer gaff

The owner of Morley Hayes is chummy with people at Derby, including Mel. Players tend to stay there when they first join. He has a few houses that some of them have stayed in too

27 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

They didn't with Dave Mackay and that worked out OK!

So true but that was way back before international laws came into force. I am sure you have to advertise and interview even if you have decided.

I am sure this still applies to football. I might be wrong.

According to the latest coming out of the DET MM is saying "teams like Bournemouth had unity", he goes onto say "We had that under Steve McClaren, we actually had it"

Maybe there is something in it.

I wouldn't mind him back if he can get us playing as a team again and with assurances.

Let's be honest - getting Mac back - going 443, recalling Chris Martin so that we have him and Vydra to play a similar game in 443 should one be injured or rested (or play together in an alternate formation as a Plan B) - and then get a top quality holding midfielder to cover for George Thorne and his never ending injuries and we will walk the league next year

Archived