Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, toddy said:

Now at the bookies at 6/1, got to be worth a few quid?

Bookie equivalent of clickbait...

"Steve McClaren's odds will shock you..."

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

So the man that was brought in because he was a brilliant man manager and could get more out of the players, identified a confidence issue before the end of the first month of the season?

If there was a confidence issue that early in the season what was causing it?

No identified with the first two games.

There was talk speculation it was fallout from last season and that was also the cause of the erratic performances at the end of Clement tenure and some of Wassall's. I did hear there was a lack of natural leaders on the pitch, possibly why heads drop so quickly when things don't go to plan.

My concern is, even though we got rid of Pearson will we still have a continuation of the awful performances, players unable to the basic's correctly. 

12 minutes ago, toddy said:

No identified with the first two games.

There was talk speculation it was fallout from last season and that was also the cause of the erratic performances at the end of Clement tenure and some of Wassall's. I did hear there was a lack of natural leaders on the pitch, possibly why heads drop so quickly when things don't go to plan.

My concern is, even though we got rid of Pearson will we still have a continuation of the awful performances, players unable to the basic's correctly. 

I was at the first two matches and neither were anything to do with a lack of confidence, just poor tactics and team selections.

Seemed to me like he was just looking for an excuse to hide behind.

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was at the first two matches and neither were anything to do with a lack of confidence, just poor tactics and team selections.

Seemed to me like he was just looking for an excuse to hide behind.

What he thought there would be an issue in October so made a statement on early August?

You were at both games so you knew what was said in the dressing room and on the training pitch  - what the players were asked to do, what they failed to do and how the responded?

You cannot be as naïve as you make out?

The confidence issue does explain also the erratic performances from January under Clement, it also explains the erratic performances we had under Wassall, there were a few especially the 1st leg against Hull, it also explains the rant Holloway had on Sky regarding the players........

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As I said I do have a feeling we will have a continuation of the performances and players not being able to do the basic's correctly.

29 minutes ago, toddy said:

What he thought there would be an issue in October so made a statement on early August?

You were at both games so you knew what was said in the dressing room and on the training pitch  - what the players were asked to do, what they failed to do and how the responded?

You cannot be as naïve as you make out?

The confidence issue does explain also the erratic performances from January under Clement, it also explains the erratic performances we had under Wassall, there were a few especially the 1st leg against Hull, it also explains the rant Holloway had on Sky regarding the players........

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As I said I do have a feeling we will have a continuation of the performances and players not being able to do the basic's correctly.

So I needed to be in the dressing room to assess the confidence for them 2 games?

Have you been in the dressing room for the past 3 seasons then to conclude that it's been a problem for that long?

It's the first time that I have ever heard of a team struggling for confidence after 2 games. Made even more bizarre by the fact that one of them games was a draw against a supposed promotion challenger.

Complete cop out.

Never once heard these excuses being used for Wassall. It was all his fault back then.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So I needed to be in the dressing room to assess the confidence for them 2 games?

Have you been in the dressing room for the past 3 seasons then to conclude that it's been a problem for that long?

It's the first time that I have ever heard of a team struggling for confidence after 2 games. Made even more bizarre by the fact that one of them games was a draw against a supposed promotion challenger.

Complete cop out.

Never once heard these excuses being used for Wassall. It was all his fault back then.

If you need an current example look at the reaction to the Reading goal, all the basics went out of the window.

Most fans [myself included in this] thought the issue was with Wassall  when he took over Clement, but go back at look at the performances bacj then, they were as erratic as they were under Clement.

You did not read what I said it was a continuation of the Wassall days and that was a continuation of the Clement days, where players lose all ability to do the basics. The slightest thing and heads drop, maybe it is what some are saying we have a lack of leaders on the pitch.

I do remember Alan Curbishley after the Brighton game being asked about last of confidence after one game? He is response was its not one game.........

I do hope I am wrong but we may have continuation even now  ..........even though there is a no Pearson

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's hardly why he got the England job.

Not really sure I get your point...

My point was that when he came in, he was so far superior to what went before, that he instantly had an impact on the players. I'm not sure you can replicate that. 

Mac is a fantastic coach and that is why Ferguson wanted him at UTD.

A manager and coach are different positions.

Bring back Mac -let him do what he is good at, let somebody else do the buying and selling side of things. 

Just now, TroyDyer said:

Not really sure I get your point...

My point was that when he came in, he was so far superior to what went before, that he instantly had an impact on the players. I'm not sure you can replicate that. 

Why, he'll be far superior than we we've had recently!

Steve Mac was successful partly due to his excellent loan signings, Dawkins, Wisdom and Bamford, followed by Thorne really changed the team.

This time around there are no loan signings until Jan.

Bryson was not a fan of Mac, due to him being played deep and then basically destroyed as an attacking player in his second season.

First season under mclaren was great, the second season was disappointing to say the least.

It would be wrong to go back.

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I remember Mel saying Mac had no interest in the Academy, in fact Clement spent more time with Wassell on his 1st day than Stevie did in his entire stay.

That doesn't fit the Derby Way.

The Derby way was a term created by MM, so he can also take it away.............

Archived