Should Pearson be shown the door?

oldtimeram

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Agree with the above. Even under McClaren we needed way too many opportunities to score and were utterly  clueless as a defensive unit with no plan B. Yes it's always fun to watch an attacking team but at the end of the day we weren't very good at it - as wembley showed. A half intelligent manager would soak us up and score easy counter attack goals. So you need to be more solid and/or far more efficient at attacking and scoring (as Leicester and Bournemouth were in their promotion seasons). Neither team defended well as memory serves  but they attacked and executed! Truly good attacking players need very few chances to score. 

Wow

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Agree with the above. Even under McClaren we needed way too many opportunities to score and were utterly  clueless as a defensive unit with no plan B. Yes it's always fun to watch an attacking team but at the end of the day we weren't very good at it - as wembley showed. A half intelligent manager would soak us up and score easy counter attack goals. So you need to be more solid and/or far more efficient at attacking and scoring (as Leicester and Bournemouth were in their promotion seasons). Neither team defended well as memory serves  but they attacked and executed! Truly good attacking players need very few chances to score. 

Ludicrous ....  WE WEREN'T VERY GOOD AT IT (i.e being an attacking team).. take it you are not using number of goals scored as your criterion. 

Failure in a play-off final may be failure, but what a season of enjoyable football ( and yes I was present at B'ham away when our defensive failures were all too obvious and the scars are still present ).

16 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Ludicrous ....  WE WEREN'T VERY GOOD AT IT (i.e being an attacking team).. take it you are not using number of goals scored as your criterion. 

Failure in a play-off final may be failure, but what a season of enjoyable football ( and yes I was present at B'ham away when our defensive failures were all too obvious and the scars are still present ).

A lot on here want pretty football, I too enjoyed the Mac time the one touch football was fantastic at times but ultimately  pretty football doesn't equal success.

Sometimes you have to forgo the pretty side of things to get the basics right, when something is not right and not working sometimes you have to rip it up and start again.I honestly think MM brought in NP to sort out the club, otherwise things like Martin going wouldn't have happened.

He needs at least a season, if we get rid now it would be a rebuilding again with another manager and on it goes around again .....

16 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

We seem to be divided into two camps:

The Queens.....

....and the Take Thats.........

I am happy to see where the land lies at Chrimbo before calling for the grim reaper to sharpen his chopper.

The relative technical merit of those two bands is an apt representation of the validity of both points of view.

10 minutes ago, toddy said:

A lot on here want pretty football, I too enjoyed the Mac time the one touch football was fantastic at times but ultimately  pretty football doesn't equal success.

Sometimes you have to forgo the pretty side of things to get the basics right, when something is not right and not working sometimes you have to rip it up and start again.I honestly think MM brought in NP to sort out the club, otherwise things like Martin going wouldn't have happened.

He needs at least a season, if we get rid now it would be a rebuilding again with another manager and on it goes around again .....

I agree that it makes little apparent sense to change management horses now but expectations need to be reset and then better managed. Mine are obviously way wide of the mark now, but I genuinely believed that they were what pearson had been hired for based on what I had read. (see earlier post)

I reckon a good 75% of the debate could be stopped with an unequivocal statement from the management hierarchy of where we are, what we are doing and why we believe that is the right way to go. We might disagree, but at least we will be clear - and so many of us are not at the present time.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wow

As Wembley showed? Do you mean the play off final that you only reach by finishing between 3rd and 6th and then win a two legged game under intense pressure?! Yes we lost the final ( in part due to Gary O'Neil) but what about the Brighton home leg? I couldn't stop smiling after that performance.

Pearson has been given the go ahead to overhaul the squad so he has to be given time to get it right, say 20 games.

17 minutes ago, toddy said:

Let's see who comes out on top in Manchester if pretty football doesn't win anything.

9 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

As Wembley showed? Do you mean the play off final that you only reach by finishing between 3rd and 6th and then win a two legged game under intense pressure?! Yes we lost the final ( in part due to Gary O'Neil) but what about the Brighton home leg? I couldn't stop smiling after that performance.

Pearson has been given the go ahead to overhaul the squad so he has to be given time to get it right, say 20 games.

You are so right. What is the point of bringing in a manager to change things in the hope of success then dump him before the end of September to only bring in another who will be ripped apart if he doesn't have instant success.

Keep doing this and we will slowly become Leeds. Also no self respecting manager will want a poisoned challis.

Give him some time. If it is not right over a season, then look at another appointment.

Rome and all that.

5 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

Let's see who comes out on top in Manchester if pretty football doesn't win anything.

Now there's  a thought unlimited funds, now that does buy success, city, utd, Chelsea,  Madrid,  Barcelona........

One or two do play pretty  football 

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

You are so right. What is the point of bringing in a manager to change things in the hope of success then dump him before the end of September to only bring in another who will be ripped apart if he doesn't have instant success.

Keep doing this and we are slowly become Leeds. Also no self respecting manager will want a poisoned challis.

Give him some time. If it is not right over a season, then look at another appointment.

Rome and all that.

I have to disagree with you about Managers not wanting to take the job, there would be a queue out of the door for the Rams job... and still for the Dirties job with the money on offer. Plus, managers like a challenge as they would want to be the one who turned things around like SM did for us.

17 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

I have to disagree with you about Managers not wanting to take the job, there would be a queue out of the door for the Rams job... and still for the Dirties job with the money on offer. Plus, managers like a challenge as they would want to be the one who turned things around like SM did for us.

At the moment yes but if you only give them less than two months, then it might be another mater

Archived