Should Pearson be shown the door?

oldtimeram

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Actually Vydra might not be better than Bent (or Martin!) and Wilson might not be better than Blackman. Is Anya better than Russell/Camara or just different?

Well martins no longer here so you can't compare him . Any fool can see from 2 games that wilson already has bags more quality than Blackman! And from what I've seen of Anya with us and Scotland I'd be happy to commit that he's an upgrade Russell . Granted the jury's still out on Camara .

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how long he's got, wouldn't want to second guess what MM is thinking.

There's no hiding from it, we are playing woeful and don't look like showing any improvement in the areas that were needed in the time he's been here.

He has to get results and fast.

ıf there are no further points on the board after another 180 minutes of football, I'd dare say he would be walking on very thin ground. Sacking him so soon is pretty much admitting you got the appointment wrong in the first place. This may buy him another half dozen games. Still know real improvement thereafter, leaving us bottom or thereabouts and I would think that will be justification enough in MM's eyes

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

How long do you give a transition period? If heaven forbid we went down do you still continue with the transition? 

I think he will come good but just playing devils advocate. 

only way I can see top flight football under Pearson now is relegation followed by back to back promotions with momentum.

I find it worrying the amount of people that are simply dismissing relegation as impossible, we've got nothing upfront, no creativity in midfield, conceding regularly. I'd imagine the goals issue will start to sort itself out but we'll probably start losing 2-1 3-2.

if we slip into the bottom 3 in the next few games and were still there at Christmas I don't fancy our chances.

51 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

How have I? The point I was making is that if he didn't have a plan and a style he wanted to implement he could have just reverted back to 4 3 3 like clement did . The plans 2 central midfielders instead of 3 which frees an extra attacking player up . Just need to find the right mix . 

You said he has a plan but then say you can't see how it's going to work.

Which 2 Cm currently on Derby's books do you think suit 442?

21 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Well martins no longer here so you can't compare him . Any fool can see from 2 games that wilson already has bags more quality than Blackman! And from what I've seen of Anya with us and Scotland I'd be happy to commit that he's an upgrade Russell . Granted the jury's still out on Camara .

Compare Anya and Russell's goals and Assists. 

Compare market values. 

I would only pick him ahead of Russell if it was as a wing back. 

Bearing in mind if we had recruited properly Russell should only be bench material. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

You said he has a plan but then say you can't see how it's going to work.

Which 2 Cm currently on Derby's books do you think suit 442?

OK probably how I worded it on the first part ! 

Regarding the central midfielders johnson and bryson suit the 2 in midfield role best . Bryson for his box to box mentality mixed with johnsons steel , aerial presence and eye for goal . ( it's in there somewhere) ((i think)). 

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

OK probably how I worded it on the first part ! 

Regarding the central midfielders johnson and bryson suit the 2 in midfield role best . Bryson for his box to box mentality mixed with johnsons steel , aerial presence and eye for goal . ( it's in there somewhere) ((i think)). 

Well it does requite 2 runners, but ideally one of them would be able to pass the ball and one would have defensive discipline. 

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

Who would yours be ? From your comment I presume Thorne plus 1 more ?

No. Not Thorne.

Both need to be runners.

Between them they need the following skills. A goalscorer. A defensive CM. Good in the air. A passer. 

Find 2 runners with those 4 qualities between them and you potentially have 2 CM who can play 442 with 2 wingers.  

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nope, not really.

If you think the signings he has made are better than what we already have, oh dear. Different, okay.

He's done a good job so far of getting Derby fans frothing at the mouth!

I haven't said I agree with what's happened, I answered your question which was 'why has he waited so long to implement change'. I really don't think it would have been through choice alone as that would not make much sense.  As for the signings, be fair - I think Anya definitely adds something to the team and Vydra, given a few more games may well do so too. 

Keep the faith as best you can mate.  I know it's been a crappy ride so far but I think whatever we feel about Pearson's abilities we need to give him a chance to prove us wrong. That doesn't mean I disagree with folk such as you who are unhappy (as you've every right to be - I am too!) only that I don't think trying yet another fix right now will benefit us, far from it. I think some more pieces of the jigsaw may get filled in January and I'd like to think we can still challenge for the playoffs if that's the case. 

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I haven't said I agree with what's happened, I answered your question which was 'why has he waited so long to implement change'. I really don't think it would have been through choice alone as that would not make much sense.

Keep the faith as best you can mate.  I know it's been a crappy ride so far but I think whatever we feel about Pearson's abilities we need to give him a chance to prove us wrong. That doesn't mean I disagree with folk such as you who are unhappy (as you've every right to be - I am too!) only that I don't think trying yet another fix right now will benefit us, far from it. I think some more pieces of the jigsaw may get filled in January and I'd like to think we can still challenge for the playoffs if that's the case. 

Well said !

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

I think some more pieces of the jigsaw may get filled in January and I'd like to think we can still challenge for the playoffs if that's the case. 

I don't know what picture we'll end up with though. Whilst Vydra and Anya seem okay signings they're not setting the world alight, so god knows what we'll be looking at in January if Pearson is still here...

7 minutes ago, sage said:

No. Not Thorne.

Both need to be runners.

Between them they need the following skills. A goalscorer. A defensive CM. Good in the air. A passer. 

Find 2 runners with those 4 qualities between them and you potentially have 2 CM who can play 442 with 2 wingers.  

Johnson and Butterfield?? Defensive and good in the air from johnson , goal scorer and a quality passer in Butterfield?

45 minutes ago, MikeS said:

He and the rest of the Derby board contingent looked far from happy at the end of the game on Saturday, according to my Bristol friend who sits right next to the directors' box there.

With Mel's recent history of surprises I can't imagine for one moment that the thought of dismissing Mr Pearson may have already crossed his mind. I suppose we may have to wait for the dreaded " Vote Of Confidence "  in the manager should things remain sour over the next few games.

I seem to remember not that many weeks before the Clement dismissal Mel saying in an interview that there was no reason why Mr Clement could not become the future Sir Alex Ferguson of Derby County. As Jimmy Greaves was known to often say

" ITS A FUNNY OLD GAME ".

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't know what picture we'll end up with though. Whilst Vydra and Anya seem okay signings they're not setting the world alight, so god knows what we'll be looking at in January if Pearson is still here...

OK mate, not looking to argue, just to cheer you up a tad!  If things don't turn around by Xmas I'll be in the other camp too but for now I'll try to keep positive and hope there's a method to the madness. Hopefully we'll get a decent result against Venky's shower come Saturday and maybe kick on from there or show some steady improvement at very least!

Archived