Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Ince? Butters? Russel? In this market there's a few more also

I wouldn't include Russell in that. If a £5m bid came in I'd accept. To get where we need to be we need consistent performances from players, especially from our more creative players. This probably applies to Hendrick too. 2-3 good games followed by 5-6 average games isn't good enough. 

Rhodes didn't get Blackburn promoted. McCormack didn't get Fulham promoted. Martin hasn't got Derby promoted.

Is anyone reading anything into this? Rhodes left and scored a couple of vital goals to help 'Boro get promoted. I think Martin would do the same for the right team, I'd be making Derby the right team.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Rhodes didn't get Blackburn promoted. McCormack didn't get Fulham promoted. Martin hasn't got Derby promoted.

Is anyone reading anything into this? Rhodes left and scored a couple of vital goals to help 'Boro get promoted. I think Martin would do the same for the right team, I'd be making Derby the right team.

The difference is both Blackburn and Fulham don't have the squad that we have. 

Hi, first time posting although read this forum for years. So what better place to start than with a first post on what seems to be an opinion splitting thread (am I brave or stupid!!).

IMO, Chris Martin has a very good football brain, great ability in his feet and can finish well, but as we all know, is not blessed with pace. Considering he is our most prolific striker for years, why doesn’t he get the same level of adoration as some of our former front men (my own favourites in this department are Bobby Davison and Dean Saunders)? Is it because he is slow? If so, why was Steve Howard so popular. For me, it’s because of the disproportional amount of time he spends going to ground and also the outward frustration he shows with his team mates in games. That’s not to say I don’t like CM, it’s  just that as much as I get a buzz from his flicks, free kicks and goals – I get frustrated by that other side to his game. 

I’ve loved watching the beautiful passing game these last few years but it seems we’ve become a bit like the Arsenal of the Championship, easy on the eye but ultimately falling short. As a poster has already said, NP’s Leicester team weren’t dull to watch and ruthlessly destroyed our beautiful game. If he believes that he can progress Derby towards a more successful and ruthless era without the attributes CM offers, then so be it. One book closes, another opens!!

Apologies for the book like length of my first post…….COYR

5 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Hi, first time posting although read this forum for years. So what better place to start than with a first post on what seems to be an opinion splitting thread (am I brave or stupid!!).

IMO, Chris Martin has a very good football brain, great ability in his feet and can finish well, but as we all know, is not blessed with pace. Considering he is our most prolific striker for years, why doesn’t he get the same level of adoration as some of our former front men (my own favourites in this department are Bobby Davison and Dean Saunders)? Is it because he is slow? If so, why was Steve Howard so popular. For me, it’s because of the disproportional amount of time he spends going to ground and also the outward frustration he shows with his team mates in games. That’s not to say I don’t like CM, it’s  just that as much as I get a buzz from his flicks, free kicks and goals – I get frustrated by that other side to his game. 

I’ve loved watching the beautiful passing game these last few years but it seems we’ve become a bit like the Arsenal of the Championship, easy on the eye but ultimately falling short. As a poster has already said, NP’s Leicester team weren’t dull to watch and ruthlessly destroyed our beautiful game. If he believes that he can progress Derby towards a more successful and ruthless era without the attributes CM offers, then so be it. One book closes, another opens!!

Apologies for the book like length of my first post…….COYR

Good post. True in my opinion. I've said elsewhere that we should embrace him not sell him. If we went for a totally new front line with 2 out and out pacey wingers and a pacey striker then so be it but I feel that if the axe is falling then others should be in front of Martin when it does. 

Oh and have a like too. 

14 minutes ago, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

Derby have to sign either wells or assombalonga for me. Maybe Abel Hernandez.

We know you do mate, you've already said. :lol:

On 27/06/2016 at 20:55, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

But abel hernandez is allowed to leave hull so that might be a good option. Also nakhi Wells would be a very good shout because he would be very good alongside martin.

On 27/06/2016 at 22:01, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

But personally I would go for nakhi wells

On 28/06/2016 at 21:33, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

What about britt assombolonga.

On 28/06/2016 at 21:52, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

Assombolonga anyone?

On 18/07/2016 at 19:25, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

Assombalonga. Love him at derby

22 hours ago, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

Tbh I think we should go for assombalonga. He would cost us around £12-£15 million.

16 hours ago, DCFC 4 LIFE 123 said:

I think Abel Hernandez would be a good signing.

Pearsons Leicester according to most Leicester fans (during the 2013-14 season) played some nice stuff, and you don't score 80+ goals and finish on 102 points playing turgid defensive football ffs, they blew us away at their place when we were at our best, they finished 17 points above us even though we had a good run in the final 10 games. 

15 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I think assombalonga, wells, Hernandez or kodjia, anyone agree?!?! Lol

I think Mel needs to invent candy crush 2 ASAP, a couple of years ago 3m was a lot of money now people are dreaming. That lot would cost 30m+, we don't have that sort of money. We are in the championship not the top 4 of the prem. I would push the boat out for one of the above, either Assombalonga or Hernandez and I think we would need to sell to do that.

11 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

What are you basing that on? Chris Martin has been one of the most fouled players in the league over the past 3 seasons and thats without all of the free kicks he should have had.

I bet that if you were to ask every championship defender that they would all say that Bent is easier to defend against. Martin drops deep meaning defenders get caught in two minds about whether to follow him or pass him on.

Bent meanwhile is caught offside time and time again, having realised that he isn't quick enough to time his runs later. Plus the some total of Bent's contribution to play is to jump under the ball time and time again. I think man must have shrunk during the last couple of seasons because nothing else explains his insistance of jumping under the ball.

Try a Martin vs Bent minutes on the pitch vs goals ratio to prove your point.

or even free kicks conceded vs minutes on the pitch.

Martin falls over, and  more importantly , refs now  expect Martin to fall over , defenders expect Martin to fall over.

Bent gets caught offside, which happens when you play on the shoulder, but what happens just the once when, he isn't caught offside.

One player is not better than the other, but one has a sale value and the other doesn't and nobody is indispensable 

Besides it's all paper talk,  keyboard managers/warriors and not worth getting in a tizz over .....

4 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

Try a Martin vs Bent minutes on the pitch vs goals ratio to prove your point.

or even free kicks conceded vs minutes on the pitch.

Martin falls over, and  more importantly , refs now  expect Martin to fall over , defenders expect Martin to fall over.

Bent gets caught offside, which happens when you play on the shoulder, but what happens just the once when, he isn't caught offside.

One player is not better than the other, but one has a sale value and the other doesn't and nobody is indispensable 

Besides it's all paper talk,  keyboard managers/warriors and not worth getting in a tizz over .....

What happens when bent is not off side? Well he fluffs his lines like he did all night against league 2 Grimsby on Tuesday night.

Pat Murphy on twitter "Told that @OfficialWolves bid for Chris Martin was £6.5m, turned down flat by @dcfcofficial who want to keep him & sign Forestieri for whom they bid £7m on Wednesday, rejected by Sheffield of that ilk. That was just a fishing expedition. Derby will be back in for him."

Archived