Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

The fees bandied around are ludicrous.£9 million for Chester who can't get into an average Premier league side, and if it is true £8.5 million for Martin. I like Chris Martin but he has his limitations. Take the money and buy Kodjia , Ulloja or Wells and keep the change.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

The fees bandied around are ludicrous.£9 million for Chester who can't get into an average Premier league side, and if it is true £8.5 million for Martin. I like Chris Martin but he has his limitations. Take the money and buy Kodjia , Ulloja or Wells and keep the change.

:huh:

Kevin Hector, Bobby Davison, Dean Saunders, Paul Goddard, Marco Gabbiadini, Tommy Johnson, Dean Sturridge, Paolo Wanchope. All worshipped by me (sorry if I've missed anyone out, it's not the decisive list) and all considered to be irreplaceable. They all went. Someone else came along. Sometimes it took time for the next object of worship to come along. In some cases we never did sign anyone as good as. I'm not saying that we should sell Chris Martin, but he's just as replaceable as all the above. If he does go hopefully we will receive the going rate (no idea how much that is) as we don't need to sell him, even if he may be considered surplus to requirements for a proposed system change. Personally I would prefer to keep him (although I don't feel that he would be happy being a bench warmer or occasional starter) and replace with better, because that is how a team should evolve. If he does go he will be remembered by me just as fondly as all of the above.

22 minutes ago, sage said:

I suggest you look at the results. 

Are you not picking up on the fact that I'm firmly in the "Martin stays" camp?

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

Just saw a stat on twitter that he has only scored 7 goals in his last 38 games. I know he had a dry spell but I never knew his scoring record recently was that bad.

It's unfair to judge anyone over the period when the wheels fell off Clement's campaign and Darren Wassall was in charge. The fact that he was was able to scrape a respectable goal tally during that season at all says a hell of a lot. 

It's one thing to want a change of system and a fresh start, but to try and paint Martin as anything other than prolific for the last 3 years is absurd. 

9 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Kevin Hector, Bobby Davison, Dean Saunders, Paul Goddard, Marco Gabbiadini, Tommy Johnson, Dean Sturridge, Paolo Wanchope. All worshipped by me (sorry if I've missed anyone out, it's not the decisive list) and all considered to be irreplaceable. They all went. Someone else came along. Sometimes it took time for the next object of worship to come along. In some cases we never did sign anyone as good as. I'm not saying that we should sell Chris Martin, but he's just as replaceable as all the above. If he does go hopefully we will receive the going rate (no idea how much that is) as we don't need to sell him, even if he may be considered surplus to requirements for a proposed system change. Personally I would prefer to keep him (although I don't feel that he would be happy being a bench warmer or occasional starter) and replace with better, because that is how a team should evolve. If he does go he will be remembered by me just as fondly as all of the above.

Kev never was replaced.

I loved Bobby Davison, but he clearly was replaced..by Dean Saunders.

Gabbiadini, and Johnson...no-one ever thought they couldn't be replaced. Limited.

We certainly haven't hit the heights of Studge and Paulo since they left.

Chris Martin is a very good Championship striker. There's a lot of bullshit being talked about he should sold and he can't do this that and t'other.

IF we sell him, we'll need to sign a Saunders/Wanchope, not a Johnson/Gabbiadini. This would be extremely difficult, an can't be done by chucking £Eight Figures at a Championship striker. 

I will put my trust in NP, sit back and wait and see.

9 minutes ago, Papahet said:

We replaced the much worshiped Idiakez, Tommy Smith and Rodney "Rasiak" Trotter.

Was it the following season we signed Oakley, Leacock,Howard and gained promotion? 

To me, this just emphasizes that some things are more important than promotion.

1 minute ago, needles said:

Kev never was replaced.

Gabbiadini, and Johnson...no-one ever thought they couldn't be replaced. Limited.

Chris Martin is a very good Championship striker. There's a lot of bullshit being talked about he should sold and he can't do this that and t'other.

IF we sell him, we'll need to sign a Saunders/Wanchope, not a Johnson/Gabbiadini. This would be extremely difficult, an can't be done by chucking £Eight Figures at a Championship striker. 

True, not all of them were perfect, but they were irreplaceable for me at that moment in time. Agree with  you about the comparison of who we would need to replace Martin with.

6 minutes ago, needles said:

Kev never was replaced.

Agree with this 100%

36 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

To me, this just emphasizes that some things are more important than promotion.

Aye? Three likes I don't get it.

If we sold Martin and signed X replacement, gained promotion everyone's happy right? If we sell Martin and signed X replacement and he's a crock of crap then that's life, take a fookin risk once in a while. That's what life is all about

The Billy Davies era is over, stop fookin fretting

30 minutes ago, needles said:

Kev never was replaced.

Spot on

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

We replaced the much worshiped Idiakez, Tommy Smith and Rodney "Rasiak" Trotter.

Was it the following season we signed Oakley, Leacock,Howard and gained promotion? 

They were all a 3 amigos fire sale, huddlestone to that broke up the burley play off team and gave us a wasted season under phil brown before Gadsby brought the club. 

13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

They were all a 3 amigos fire sale, huddlestone to that broke up the burley play off team and gave us a wasted season under phil brown before Gadsby brought the club. 

They weren't all sold under the amigos though.

Gadsby was already here when Idiakez and Smith got sold.

He appointed Davies beggining of June 2006 if I recall , later selling Tommy Smith August 30th and Idiakez the following day. 

Just now, Papahet said:

They weren't all sold under the amigos though.

Gadsby was already here when Idiakez and Smith got sold.

He appointed Davies end of June 2006 if I recall , later selling Tommy Smith August 30th and Idiakez the following day. 

Fair enough, I just clearly remember the season under phil brown in between burleys play off team and billys promotion one. 

59 minutes ago, mozza said:

Got to page 9 , then realised there  was another 26 pages to go , he hasn't gone , has he ? can someone give me the minutes of the last 26 pages ? i'm too busy enjoying the Olympics to trawl thru' them ..

He goes....

Martin doesn't fit into a 442.

Who says he doesn't. 

Martin and Bent can't play together.

We should sell Martin and buy someone better.

We should keep Martin he has been our top scorer. 

Do you get a feeling for the 26 pages. Stick to watching the Olympics I'm sure if NP feels a deal is right and Martin doesn't fit he'll go. If NP thinks he's our man he'll stay.

Just now, Gritters said:

He goes....

Martin doesn't fit into a 442.

Who says he doesn't. 

Martin and Bent can't play together.

We should sell Martin and buy someone better.

We should keep Martin he has been our top scorer. 

Do you get a feeling for the 26 pages. Stick to watching the Olympics I'm sure if NP feels a deal is right and Martin doesn't fit he'll go. If NP thinks he's our man he'll stay.

Thanks , i like watching Jennifer Ennis-Hill more anyway ..

1886972.main_image.jpg

Archived