Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

I know he didn't have the best season last season (but still wasn't bad) but I'd put that down to Clement. 

If we said £10 million last summer why is he now an £8 million player in some people's eyes when teams are paying silly money? We turned down not much less for Hendrick.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

If strikers like Kodjia and Wells are likely to cost nearer the £10 million mark, I'd want similar for Martin. 

If you dont have pace as a striker you tend not to go for big money and the premier league clubs stay away.

Given Martins hold up play, general touch and vision, if he was any sort of threat inbehind and had any pace at all, he would have been playing premier league football a long time ago.

8 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

If you dont have pace as a striker you tend not to go for big money and the premier league clubs stay away.

Given Martins hold up play, general touch and vision, if he was any sort of threat inbehind and had any pace at all, he would have been playing premier league football a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

He's a goner CS. £12m is silly. 8 + would easily do the trick. Didn't play much in pre season didn't start  v Brighton and offered nothing when he came on; made some nice passes v grimsby, but failed completely to link with Bent. He missed one good chance, but he's slow and not exactly a hard worker of Pearson ilk. He's not in competition with bent he's in competition with Ince. 

Plus, the wolves offer is not out of the blue. It's no doubt us dangling him out there. We obviously want more money for him but we may not see him play for us again.  Like Mel, id like to see Zanzala given a chance but looks like Pearson has other ideas.

Fear you're right. With Nigel Pearson apparently wanting to break so many eggs, there'd better be a very tasty omelette at the end of it. You're right that the implication is Derby do want to sell. As I said long ago in the Hendrick thread, by announcing we've rejected a bid we are encouraging an auction. If we didn't want to sell we could simply stay silent.

Interesting times ahead. Martin is the best at this level for what he does. If we don't want that then the switch is to power and pace. I'd love Zanzala to be brought through, but if we're losing our main man then the youth isn't likely the answer and we'd need someone much more the finished product.

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fear you're right. With Nigel Pearson apparently wanting to break so many eggs, there'd better be a very tasty omelette at the end of it. You're right that the implication is Derby do want to sell. As I said long ago in the Hendrick thread, by announcing we've rejected a bid we are encouraging an auction. If we didn't want to sell we could simply stay silent.

Interesting times ahead. Martin is the best at this level for what he does. If we don't want that then the switch is to power and pace. I'd love Zanzala to be brought through, but if we're losing our main man then the youth isn't likely the answer and we'd need someone much more the finished product.

These players we have aren't the best otherwise we would have been promoted by now with it being largely the same group. It needs a shake up and that's what Pearson is here to do 

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Didn't liverpool pay £35m for Andy Carroll? :ph34r:

Footballs a shrewd business, you can't knock what Martin has done for us, but at the same time we've built a team around him for 3 seasons and still not made it. It's telling that we are hearing of no serious bids from Prem teams. To turn down 8-10 million on nostalgia reasons for a player we signed for note would be daft IMO. And it's ok saying its a risk replacing him with another striker, but it's also a risk basing a team around him for a 4th season running don't you think? 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What in case he scores another 20 goals and sets up however many chances? Yeah it's all his fault!

Not really said that have I though...

433 is set around Martin and Thorne and hasn't worked. Not his fault personally, but if he has an off game it's more damaging than most having one because the system relies on him. 

I'm not saying he can't or won't work in another system but obviously someone does or these rumours wouldn't be circulating. 

Not a risk to base your team around someone who's worst season since being a permanent Derby player is 15 goals and 10 assists. If he's not going to play then no point having him and we cash in, but it's too early to say he won't. Hopefully Pearson can utilise him as he's the best target man at this level. Keep until January then consider selling him if he's not playing, we may lose a couple of million on his value but that won't hurt us, he was a free transfer after all.

Archived