Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What in case he scores another 20 goals and sets up however many chances? Yeah it's all his fault!

Exactly. 

Thought we'd be better off selling the weakest players in our oh so failed system and replacing them with better. 

You know when a car breaks down, do a lot of people go get a new car rather than work out why and replace that?

Chris Martin would be a headlight. Lighting the way providing the vehicle actually moves in the right direction. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Exactly. 

Thought we'd be better off selling the weakest players in our oh so failed system and replacing them with better. 

You know when a car breaks down, do a lot of people go get a new car rather than work out why and replace that?

Chris Martin would be a headlight. Lighting the way providing the vehicle actually moves in the right direction. 

Forget the headlights let's just get a fast car

In don't know why everyone seems to think it was the players and the system that failed us for the last 3 years?

13/14 - Unlucky loss to QPR.

14/15 - Newcastle sniffing for Mac caused unrest amongst players who he'd just offered long contracts to.

15/16 - (supposedly) Behind the scenes issue with Clement, and once sacked, was replaced by a rookie manager while the team was seriously underperforming as a result from Clements management.

Don't see the 4-3-3 or Crissy Martin being an issue in any of them reasons in my opinion.

He still banged in 20 goals a season on average in each of them.

The guy can sulk, he can drop to the floor a bit, but he was instrumental in those seasons.

And he will be in this one if he can keep his head up and try a bit harder.

No-one is firing on all cylinders yet this season, were right at the beginning of it, so just because Martin hasn't pulled up any trees so far doesn't mean he won't in a 4-4-2.

If he stays I still have hope for him personally.

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Exactly. 

You only need your headlights if you're driving at night ;)

30 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Exactly. 

Using that analogy is Bradley Johnson the exhaust then

Just now, Alpha said:

The Championship is dark dark place.

No, not the Championship. I meant Birmingham

Haha! Very good.

Seriously though, Martin is a pivotal player for us IF we're playing a system that suits him. If we've moved on from said system (one that requires a quicker, more direct forward), then it seems ok to move on from Martin too, no?

Quite a lot of fuss and nonsense on here. If Pearson wants to get rid and play a different system then we should accept that. That is why we employed him. If we are going to get rid l think we can be pretty certain that Rush and Morris will extract the best possible deal.

Chris Martin has been good for us. Derby County have been good for Chris Martin. Enjoyed a lot of Martin moments over the last few years, and sincerely wish him all the best. Next.

Sooner or later that 13/14 team was going to be gone, the core of it was recognisable for the last three seasons but perhaps a revolution might be more troubling in the immediate future, might get us where we want to go faster in the end. 

Martin going seems to be the way it's going. I can just see this happening and all parties being happy in the end. I've enjoyed Martin over the last three seasons, but we're going for something different. I'll fondly remember him, but trust in Pearson if it's the right thing to do.

Remember, the left v Brighton was going to be Weimann and fozzy, not Baird and Johnson.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Remember, the left v Brighton was going to be Weimann and fozzy, not Baird and Johnson.

Yeah. But before you get all rosy glow over NPs choices remember Weimann hasn't really shown himself to be pulling up many trees!

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Haha! Very good.

Seriously though, Martin is a pivotal player for us IF we're playing a system that suits him. If we've moved on from said system (one that requires a quicker, more direct forward), then it seems ok to move on from Martin too, no?

Yeah I suppose. 

I can be patient if I can see someone trying to build on what works. 

Less so if I see something that worked being broken up. Granted it might be that Pearson's way works better. 

But a lot of these players have played the best stuff of their entire careers here at Derby. And I think we should be building on that rather than demolishing it. So I'd rather see us flog the weakest players of that system.

But yeah, if he doesn't fit the new philosophy then he's probably gotta go.

Just find it frustrating watching yet another rebuild job. I really bought into Mel's philosophy. It does work. Look at Watford, Bournemouth, Swansea, Southampton even Man City, Chelsea.

Then I look at teams that constantly rebuild for the best manager they can find (rather than one that fits) for short term gains and there's no long term growth. 

I know there are exceptions. But as a general rule success comes with stability. 

I shouldn't keep moaning about the same thing in every thread. Just can't take to Pearson. 

Didn't like Ince either. Now I think he's class so...

5 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I thought you built a side around the players you have and select a formation that extracts the max from each player.

DCFC. Pick a system none of the players fit in to, sell our best player, spend 30M on new players who can run all day.

Second implied BPO of the day

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Quite a lot of fuss and nonsense on here. If Pearson wants to get rid and play a different system then we should accept that. That is why we employed him. If we are going to get rid l think we can be pretty certain that Rush and Morris will extract the best possible deal.

Chris Martin has been good for us. Derby County have been good for Chris Martin. Enjoyed a lot of Martin moments over the last few years, and sincerely wish him all the best. Next.

Class post ? If he leaves it will be because Pearson believes Martin doesn't fit into the team. If he stays it will be because Pearson believes Martin can fit into the system. I think people are afraid of change though. I say don't be afraid because these are exciting times for Derby. Pearson got rid of a few of the fan favourites at Leicester and now look at them. Sometimes change is needed to move forwards. If Martin leaves we thank him for his service, if he stays we should back him like we should back every player

Archived