Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

I'll be sad to see Chris Martin go.

I've enjoyed some of the best football for many a year with Chrissy as the focal point of a superb attacking formation that ripped teams apart with unbelieveable ease at times.

My sadness is because we probably aren't going to see that level of skill and dominance again if his sale is due to the way NP wants to play.

I'll cheer and support if we win and go up like I've always done, but I will have lost a tiny little bit of love for the game if we don't see that beautiful football again.

I would swap any promotion just to see Bryson's hattrick at Millwall and against the Gumps, the quality of that goal at Yeovil and countless other works of art....a single Rembrandt is worth more than a thousand stickmen...is that a metaphor of any sense?..i doubt it....anyrode, where was I, oh yes, Chris Martin, its not the actual player i'll miss, more like the passing of an era that was built out of misery and ended up a thing of exquisite beauty.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most prolific striker at the club since Saunders, nearly 30 years ago and some fans want rid.

I can appreciate a change of system not accommodating him, but I honestly think if we sell him, the replacements we are looking at are not better than him. We are potentially selling a better player for less than what we are signing new strikers for.

Last season we need an injection of quality, but we went for quantity and failed...this year we just desperately need a couple of quality players, but again we seem to be going for major surgery. 

I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but with the time our rebuilding job is taken I hope we ain't got the builders on a day rate.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I've enjoyed some of the best football for many a year with Chrissy as the focal point of a superb attacking formation that ripped teams apart with unbelieveable ease at times.

My sadness is because we probably aren't going to see that level of skill and dominance again if his sale is due to the way NP wants to play.

I'll cheer and support if we win and go up like I've always done, but I will have lost a tiny little bit of love for the game if we don't see that beautiful football again.

I would swap any promotion just to see Bryson's hattrick at Millwall and against the Gumps, the quality of that goal at Yeovil and countless other works of art....a single Rembrandt is worth more than a thousand stickmen...is that a metaphor of any sense?..i doubt it....anyrode, where was I, oh yes, Chris Martin, its not the actual player i'll miss, more like the passing of an era that was built out of misery and ended up a thing of exquisite beauty.

Have faith and cheer up Utch - we've seen beautiful football and footballers go and be replaced over the years and sometimes in the most unexpected of circumstances.  

You could argue that Dave's team was more attractive than Brian's (and we were down about him going); Jim produced one of the most attractive Derby teams that I've had the pleasure of watching out of not so much; Arthur's teams were more workmanlike overall but he came up with Dean Saunders and Mark Wright; we've had some good times in the last few years and some of the football in the first two (only) games of this season has been promising.  Different but promising

LS Lowry painted stickmen by the thousand, and he was a pretty good artist.  Valuable too...................;)

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Most prolific striker at the club since Saunders, nearly 30 years ago and some fans want rid.

I can appreciate a change of system not accommodating him, but I honestly think if we sell him, the replacements we are looking at are not better than him. We are potentially selling a better player for less than what we are signing new strikers for.

Last season we need an injection of quality, but we went for quantity and failed...this year we just desperately need a couple of quality players, but again we seem to be going for major surgery. 

I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but with the time our rebuilding job is taken I hope we ain't got the builders on a day rate.

A fit Thorne and Hughes, replace Bent and better tactics could be all that we need.

30 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think we went for quality and failed to improve what we had, plus we went for slightly panicked replacements for the early season injuries.

So far, we've signed no-one, so major surgery? I think not. I reckon we sit back, trust NP and enjoy the ride. Better than playing will we won't we over some might be player from the SPL all summer.

we still need a new striker even if martin stays theres no way him an bent alone will get the goals neccesary for promotion in a league that is looking more an more world class talent filled every season. i hope we keep martin but we are definetly missing beastly finishing,pace an confidence up front . someone ask jose about a rashford loan.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

For every person that admires a Rembrandt there is one who equally admires an Emin or Hirst the most overriding maxim nowadays oft quoted is that football is a results based game

4 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

For every person that admires a Rembrandt there is one who equally admires an Emin or Hirst the most overriding maxim nowadays oft quoted is that football is a results based game

That is an absolutely terrifying analogy.

9 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

What are you basing that on? Chris Martin has been one of the most fouled players in the league over the past 3 seasons and thats without all of the free kicks he should have had.

I bet that if you were to ask every championship defender that they would all say that Bent is easier to defend against. Martin drops deep meaning defenders get caught in two minds about whether to follow him or pass him on.

Bent meanwhile is caught offside time and time again, having realised that he isn't quick enough to time his runs later. Plus the some total of Bent's contribution to play is to jump under the ball time and time again. I think man must have shrunk during the last couple of seasons because nothing else explains his insistance of jumping under the ball.

Almost Everything is inaccurate here. First Martin can't run and he can't jump so how is he hard to defend? He can drop off the centre half and drop a pass back. Hard to defend like that ? He has zero intimidation factor even though Owen Bradley once saw fit to compare him to Diego Costa! Second if you haven't been paying attention (and I'm not a Bent fan) but bent is lightning fast ... I would actually venture a guess that he's the fastest player on the team. Ask the coaching staff how fast he is. He's also the best leaper after Keogh. So he beats defenders with both pace and jumping, and can lay the ball off with head or feet. Problem there is that Ince is half asleep most of the time. 

The only truth contained herein is the fact that he's offside so much and it's because he saunters back far too much after we lose possession, and he mistimes runs a lot where he's level with their back line. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree with the sentiment and I'm not in favour of Martin leaving. That said Pearson's Leicester were very impressive when they blew us away 4-1 at the crisp bowl, they played some nice stuff too. If Pearson can replicate that, then whilst we will miss the swashbuckling 2014 football we will still have plenty to enjoy!

I don't understand why we would sell CM even if he doesn't currently fit jnto NP's system? Buy somebody else, but keep one of your best players at the club to complement, cover and learn the system.  You never know when you might need him or when you might need to change the way you play, either in a game or over a number of games. Keep him for the options he gives us.

Slash and burn mentality is extremely odd.

14 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Almost Everything is inaccurate here. First Martin can't run and he can't jump so how is he hard to defend? He can drop off the centre half and drop a pass back. Hard to defend like that ? He has zero intimidation factor even though Owen Bradley once saw fit to compare him to Diego Costa! Second if you haven't been paying attention (and I'm not a Bent fan) but bent is lightning fast ... I would actually venture a guess that he's the fastest player on the team. Ask the coaching staff how fast he is. He's also the best leaper after Keogh. So he beats defenders with both pace and jumping, and can lay the ball off with head or feet. Problem there is that Ince is half asleep most of the time. 

The only truth contained herein is the fact that he's offside so much and it's because he saunters back far too much after we lose possession, and he mistimes runs a lot where he's level with their back line. 

I think your first sentence should be at the end of your post.

If you have to ask why defenders don't like playing against players like Martin you will never appreciate what he does (which we all know you don't) and there is no point trying to explain it to you.

I find it funny that you think the only thing that bothers defenders is how quick a striker is and how high they can jump.

Bent the fastest player and biggest leader? I don't know whether to laugh or be stunned...

9 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I don't understand why we would sell CM even if he doesn't currently fit jnto NP's system? Buy somebody else, but keep one of your best players at the club to complement, cover and learn the system.  You never know when you might need him or when you might need to change the way you play, either in a game or over a number of games. Keep him for the options he gives us.

Slash and burn mentality is extremely odd.

Im not so sure CM would be happy being a bit part player/left on the sidelines. Its a great scenario but he wouldnt accept that IMO

For so many years we were crying out for a striker who could score 20+ goals per season. We now have one. They aren't easy to find. Let's not sell ours.

To be honest, I would become even less interested in this season if we did sell Chris Martin.  

44 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Bent fastest at the club? ??? he runs like he's got 2 caravans hitched to the back of him. 

Archived