Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

19 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I wouldn't want him to go just because I like him (and i appreciate others don't like him).

£1.5m seems low in the current market. If it gets to figures above £3m I'll start to swallow it as being a good price. McClaren loves him, so it'd not be cheap for them to get him. I know it's tempting to want different after seeing the same players serving up what they've got over three years but different doesn't necessarily mean better.

Weimann, Camara and Blackman I'd prefer to see go if I'm honest. Blackman and Anya are injured so no ones going to buy them (I also like Anya) but the truth of all these players is they are "much of a muchness" - Ince is the only one with that something a bit more.

Rather than Brighton being after JR I'd worry that a low prem team want to buy Ince based on his current form.

Seems quite a common theme with not just Derby fans, but with team's fans in general. They warm to the idea of selling a player who isn't really a key man at present because there's a chance he could be replaced with someone better, but it doesn't always work out like that. £30 mil + spent in the past couple of seasons and Hughes is still our best midfielder, Martin our best striker, Ince our best winger and Keogh (arguably) our best defender. The grass isn't always greener etc. etc. 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We paid £3m for Nick Blackman (with 6 months of his contract left) who's scored 51 goals in 233 career appearances (22%) while Johnny has scored 87 in 324 appearances (27%) so a £1.5m fee is obviously a farcical fee, especially when Johnny is a goodd egg and great influence on the dressing room.

Johnny is starting while £8m Vydra is on the bench. If promotion certainties Brighton want him I wouldn't stand in his way (as I imagine he would want to go there and there's no point having unhappy players in the dressing room) but I'd say something like £5m up front and another £4m on their promotion.

2 hours ago, StringerBell said:

To play as a striker for them? Brighton have got some of the best wide players in the league.

We are in the market for another striker as we have Murray/Hemed as 'target men' but then just Sam Baldock. So we need a forward who can compete with Baldock and offer something different to a target man. 

If we don't go up, we're going to be quite close to breaking FFP so I suspect we are looking for players in this sort of price range rather than a Rhodes type that the lazy Twitter rumour accounts sometimes suggest. 

30 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

We paid £3m for Nick Blackman (with 6 months of his contract left) who's scored 51 goals in 233 career appearances (22%) while Johnny has scored 87 in 324 appearances (27%) so a £1.5m fee is obviously a farcical fee, especially when Johnny is a goodd egg and great influence on the dressing room.

Johnny is starting while £8m Vydra is on the bench. If promotion certainties Brighton want him I wouldn't stand in his way (as I imagine he would want to go there and there's no point having unhappy players in the dressing room) but I'd say something like £5m up front and another £4m on their promotion.

The Blackman bit sends shivers doesn't it and a significant portion of his career goals have been penalties! 

He was also a common denominator in martin's goal scoring dropping off when he found out Blackman was on double his wages! 

Just a vague thought - perhaps a couple of months ago, before form and confidence returned - on the QT - a few wanted out and got their agents to put out feelers to clubs, with nothing much surfacing at the time but as January approaches there's few thinking they might snap up a decent player.

That could be complete balls of course, i've nothing to base that on.

1 minute ago, SimonBHA said:

We are in the market for another striker as we have Murray/Hemed as 'target men' but then just Sam Baldock. So we need a forward who can compete with Baldock and offer something different to a target man. 

If we don't go up, we're going to be quite close to breaking FFP so I suspect we are looking for players in this sort of price range rather than a Rhodes type that the lazy Twitter rumour accounts sometimes suggest. 

Really can't see the £1.5 mil figure being anywhere close to true. According to John Percy (probably the most reliable journalist for our news) we've told Stoke we want near £4 million for Grant who was a backup and has 6 months left on his contract. No way would we then consider selling a starter in Russell who has 18 months left on his deal for under half that. I certainly expect at least 1 of our wingers to leave in January (providing they're all fit by then), but McClaren seems to love Russell so I doubt it'll be him. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Forensic assessment. ie there is no correlation between fee paid and worth to a team. I'm not so sure he'd want to go to Brighton...

I think, fundamentally, Blackman is a better footballer than Russell. 

I wouldn't be against selling Russell as he's a player than has a position in the side that could do with improving. 

I don't think he'd get in to Brighton's side though. They have better wide players. As for him being a striker, he's too poor in front of goal. He has scored a few blinders, notably the one against Forest, but I'd say he's comfortably missed more one on ones than goals he's scored for us. He usually just bangs it straight at the keeper. 

I do think he'd be a big miss in the dressing room, though. He's obviously a very likeable guy. 

56 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think, fundamentally, Blackman is a better footballer than Russell. 

I wouldn't be against selling Russell as he's a player than has a position in the side that could do with improving. 

I don't think he'd get in to Brighton's side though. They have better wide players. As for him being a striker, he's too poor in front of goal. He has scored a few blinders, notably the one against Forest, but I'd say he's comfortably missed more one on ones than goals he's scored for us. He usually just bangs it straight at the keeper. 

I do think he'd be a big miss in the dressing room, though. He's obviously a very likeable guy. 

What is he better at than Russell?

1 hour ago, sage said:

What is he better at than Russell?

I think he's better on the ball, certainly. When I say fundamentally, I can see why Blackman scored 11 goals in 15 games last season - including six goals in consecutive games. He's sharp on the ball, but he tends to make bad decisions and/or is quick to pull the trigger. It will be interesting to see what better coaching can do to him. Russell, I find is a decent Championship player that can run all day. He, equally, makes poor decisions. I just don't feel his ceiling is as high as Blackman's. 

I do a really good post about Russell every transfer window when he's linked with another club and they always gets like 10 likes or something, because ipI just point out he's fine and there's no guarantee we'll get a better player in etc etc

But I can't be arse this window so

Grass isn't always greener, be careful what you wish for, Nick Blackman, you only don't like Russell because idiots love him bla bla bla

Go on, give me 10 likes

2 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

My thought are the same LOL. At least Johnny can actually score unlike Blackman. Fact. 

Russell 15/16: 9 goals in 45 apps. Blackman 15/16: 11 goals in 25 apps.

Russell 16/17: 1 goal in 9 apps. Blackman 16/17: 1 goal in 7 apps. 

Or we could just ignore those facts because they don't fit your fairytale.. ;)

1472518622754.jpg

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I think he's better on the ball, certainly. When I say fundamentally, I can see why Blackman scored 11 goals in 15 games last season - including six goals in consecutive games. He's sharp on the ball, but he tends to make bad decisions and/or is quick to pull the trigger. It will be interesting to see what better coaching can do to him. Russell, I find is a decent Championship player that can run all day. He, equally, makes poor decisions. I just don't feel his ceiling is as high as Blackman's. 

Hmmm better on the ball and then your reasoning fades sway.

Russell is a decent championship player. No more, no less. However, Blackman isnt anywhere near that. He has had 1 good third of a season in his career and nothijg beyond that. 

You will note that Blackman isn't linked with anyone. No one wants him. 

Archived