Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players would miss his banter, that's for sure.

£1.5 million though... doubled his value since joining, only a good thing? Will allow us to lower the supposed £4 million valuation put on Lee Grant's head too.

I do believe things need freshening up. Promotion this season or not. Could see a few more of these moving on as well.

JR should not be sold. Mac values him too much not in monetary terms but in terms of energy and what he adds to the side. His running opens up defences. We could not replace him for £1-2m. If Brighton want him, surely that's a sign of how valuable a player he is. 

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

JR should not be sold. Mac values him too much not in monetary terms but in terms of energy and what he adds to the side. His running opens up defences. We could not replace him for £1-2m. If Brighton want him, surely that's a sign of how valuable a player he is. 

Apparently, we want Wildschut from Wigan...

Even though a large number of you dislike Russell at the minute, surely most of you can see £1.5 million is way too small a value when you compare it to how much teams have recently paid for wingers (Adomah/Reach being 2 good examples), or how much decent wingers would cost us. And why sell a player to a promotion rival, particularly when that team's manager has a habit of getting players performing to their best? They didn't/wouldn't sell us Dunk or Stephens and we shouldn't be selling them our players. 

Brighton seem to have been after him for a long time and they are prem bound! 

Most other fans forums believe Russell to be one of our best players why can't we? 

His value is also very difficult to quantify as he is a great team player and maclaren and the Brighton manager know what they are doing don't they ! 

I wouldn't want him to go just because I like him (and i appreciate others don't like him).

£1.5m seems low in the current market. If it gets to figures above £3m I'll start to swallow it as being a good price. McClaren loves him, so it'd not be cheap for them to get him. I know it's tempting to want different after seeing the same players serving up what they've got over three years but different doesn't necessarily mean better.

Weimann, Camara and Blackman I'd prefer to see go if I'm honest. Blackman and Anya are injured so no ones going to buy them (I also like Anya) but the truth of all these players is they are "much of a muchness" - Ince is the only one with that something a bit more.

Rather than Brighton being after JR I'd worry that a low prem team want to buy Ince based on his current form.

2 hours ago, Walsall_Ram said:

Players would miss his banter, that's for sure.

£1.5 million though... doubled his value since joining, only a good thing? Will allow us to lower the supposed £4 million valuation put on Lee Grant's head too.

I do believe things need freshening up. Promotion this season or not. Could see a few more of these moving on as well.

If......and it's a massive and most unlikely if we do have a £4m valuation on Grant (nearer £1m in my opinion), why on earth would we lower it because we might be selling another player?

Things don't need much tinkering with - 2 players at most - a RB and possibly another striker, though I'd be fine if there were no new additions.

Archived