Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

4.5 million? Was that in sterling? Or monopoly money?? Surely even his biggest fan would admit that would have been a v.unlikely, tidy profit and sold him. 

Whats that 4.5 million and raheem sterling? blimy, seems like a good deal to me.

Well I would maybe have taken that, although letting three players go on transfer deadline day with no loans allowed after that day would have left us a bit short. 

1 minute ago, TopRam said:

Wow what a mistake, should of sold him! I'd of been happy to make our money back on him, he's done nothing 

thats a bit harsh.

Russell was one of the most productive wingers in the division last season - 10 goals and 8 assists for a winger isn't bad. 

Anya has never ever come close to producing those types of numbers. 

It's all well and good having a winger who beats his man nine times out of ten but if he literally has nothing to show for it at the end of the season, what was the point? Ryan Mendes, who was at Forest last season, was excellent at going past players - he scored twice and created another six. 

I'm genuinely worried that we will continue to out the players that have actually put the numbers down on paper over the past two seasons - Martin, Russell, Butterfield, Ince... and replace them with those who have never showed they were capable in the first place. 

Russell is inconsistent, but I've not seen a consistent winger at Championship level in 25 years. Kinkladze, I used to marvel at what he could do with the ball, however he was far from consistent. 

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

Hard one this.

@Ambitious stats above point to a player with a decent enough (but not amazing) return, but I can't help feel we need better if we are to step up a level. 

£4.5 million if it was seems like a great deal, but coming on transfer deadline day would have left us short in that area.

Have you identified anyone better within our price range though? We had three productive and dangerous wingers in Ward, Russell, and Dawkins. Our attempts to upgrade on them have been a laughable failure.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

Have you identified anyone better within our price range though? We had three productive and dangerous wingers in Ward, Russell, and Dawkins. Our attempts to upgrade on them have been a laughable failure.

I wouldn't disagree with that, well not as far as Ward or Russell is concerned, but that's not to say there isn't better out there.

Both have contributed very well to teams of play off, but ultimately not promotion, standard. But, like some other players, I can't see Russell getting better or helping elevate us to the next level. I think he falls just short of providing that extra bit required.

In regards to finding better within a price range, no, I haven't looked to be fair, (I would like to think someone at the club is keeping an eye out). But if we are to get someone better we would probably have to top it up by a mill or two. Then you're getting into the transfer policy (the cash for Russell plus the money wasted on Blackman might have got you a Matt Ritchie)

In my mind it's about keeping players who have come up short two or three times and hoping they can go one better, or looking for a change in the hope a new player can succeed where the other hasn't.

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can anyone remember the tread we had going when we were signing Johnny Russell?

People calling him the 20-goal a season striker to lead us to promotion. A fair few thought we were signing the nex Lionel Messi. Crazy how far his stock has fallen now.

We could have got Matt Ritchie for Russell a few years ago. Many at that point would have rather kept Russell instead of getting Ritchie too so it shows how highly people rated Russell at that time

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

We could have got Matt Ritchie for Russell a few years ago. Many at that point would have rather kept Russell instead of getting Ritchie too so it shows how highly people rated Russell at that time

Ritchie is better but he wouldn't be any answer to our problems, did barely anything against us on Saturday.

Just now, tomsdubs said:

Ritchie is better but he wouldn't be any answer to our problems, did barely anything against us on Saturday.

He is a lot better over the course of the season. He was apparently of a different level for Newcastle last night against QPR, some of their fans called him Messi ? His work rate was a lot better than Russell's at the weekend that's for sure. He gave Anita a lot of help on that side which is why Olson had to keep passing it backwards to Shackell. You're right though that if he wouldn't solve our issues as they stem a lot deeper than 1 player.We probably would have played him at left back anyway!

Archived